Tea-Fi?
Nov 14, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #91 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
ti kuan yi. 5min?...this will destroy the tea for sure.

anyway..I think I am going to continue to ship tea from China that's in season
wink.gif

one of many things that's sucking away at my head-fi funds...along with cook-fi
tongue.gif

tongue.gif
I did 3 minutes and it was fine. 5 minutes may be on the long side.

I go back to Hong Kong during holidays (Christmas, Easter, Summer) so I have access to REAL tea!! Also, my parents are in Hong Kong and I get them to send over supplies all the time.
icon10.gif

With my Tie Kuan Yin, I don't drink the first steeping. The teashop that I go to in Hong Kong says that you only drink the second and third steeping. Apparently, the first steeping is used to wash the cup. What are your thoughts on this?

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #92 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
tongue.gif
I did 3 minutes and it was fine. 5 minutes may be on the long side.

I go back to Hong Kong during holidays (Christmas, Easter, Summer) so I have access to REAL tea!! Also, my parents are in Hong Kong and I get them to send over supplies all the time.
icon10.gif

With my Tie Kuan Yin, I don't drink the first steeping. The teashop that I go to in Hong Kong says that you only drink the second and third steeping. Apparently, the first steeping is used to wash the cup. What are your thoughts on this?

I complete agree. although what I do for 1st steeping is really like 10 sec. I swirl the tea inside the cup a little. Although the difference between if I actually let the tea steep for 1 min vs pour out is actually not as big as they make you think. It gives the tea a more refined taste. And the higher end the tea the more pronounced the difference. (why does this sound like head-fi speak?
3000smile.gif
)

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #93 of 750
Quote:

I complete agree. although what I do for 1st steeping is really like 10 sec. I swirl the tea inside the cup a little. Although the difference between if I actually let the tea steep for 1 min vs pour out is actually not as big as they make you think. It gives the tea a more refined taste. And the higher end the tea the more pronounced the difference. (why does this sound like head-fi speak?
3000smile.gif
)

I'm glad someone agrees with me!

How long are your subsequent steepings?

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #94 of 750
Quote:

I'm glad someone agrees with me!

How long are your subsequent steepings?

I have a similar cup in your photo and for that kinda cup
2nd steeping, 1.5min
3rd, 3min
4th 5min
and that's where I normally stop
wink.gif

now the timing is different with tea set.

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #95 of 750
Nov 14, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #96 of 750
Quote:

I can understand why they rate pu erh lower as it is more of an acquired taste
smily_headphones1.gif

just like fish eggs, raw fish, 100 yr old egg, sea urchin...
icon10.gif

You must be Asian! I can't imagine a Westerner liking fish eggs (Jap version of caviar), sashimi, rotten eggs
tongue.gif
and sea urchin! I happen to like them all, but I'm Chinese
rolleyes.gif
Do you like durian fruit?
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #97 of 750
Quote:

You must be Asian! I can't imagine a Westerner liking fish eggs (Jap version of caviar), sashimi, rotten eggs
tongue.gif
and sea urchin! I happen to like them all, but I'm Chinese
rolleyes.gif
Do you like durian fruit?
biggrin.gif

God NO! they smell like....well worse than @#$@#!
wink.gif

I never said I acquired those taste, I just mean those are some among many foods that are appreciated with an acquired taste.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #98 of 750
Anyone have a recommendation of a good chai? I've been very frustrated in my search for something good up until this point...

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #100 of 750
Quote:

God NO! they smell like....well worse than @#$@#!
wink.gif

I never said I acquired those taste, I just mean those are some among many foods that are appreciated with an acquired taste.

Incidentally, I don't like durian either
tongue.gif
However, there is very little seafood that I don't like. Crabs, lobsters, prawns, caviar, sharks fin, fish (raw, smoked and cooked), sea snails, abalone, clams, crayfish, etc...

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #103 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
guys, has anyone here ever tried Bubble Tea? Screw those bitter old fashioned tea
eggosmile.gif

luv it!

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #104 of 750
Quote:

guys, has anyone here ever tried Bubble Tea? Screw those bitter old fashioned tea
eggosmile.gif

Oh it's so good! It's quite a common and refreshing summer drink in Hong Kong. You can buy from street vendors. I especially like the coffee and tea flavoured ones. They're called 珍珠奶茶 in Chinese, which literally means pearl milk tea.

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #105 of 750
Quote:

eggosmile.gif

Ok, someone recommend me a good bubble tea chain or local Boston shop or just general flavor, because everytime I've had it, I've really wanted to like it, but it just hasn't done it for me yet (and I love iced tea)
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back