Tea-Fi?
Nov 9, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #61 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
.....My little brother is a tea snob. His favorite kind of tea smells like - I swear - burnt tires....

Sounds like Lapsang Souchong. Smohhhhh-keeeee!

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #62 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower
No. But I would like to try to other varities of Iron Goddess if you have any more information?

The easiest would be to go to a tea shop and try them out yourself. Either that, or order a few variants and see which ones you like best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86
I love Earl Grey! The best I've ever had is from Fortnum & Mason.

In a close second place would have to be Moroccan Mint Green Tea. Delicious hot or iced.

Which F&M Earl Grey do you drink? I noticed there are a few variants...

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #63 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
The easiest would be to go to a tea shop and try them out yourself. Either that, or order a few variants and see which ones you like best.

Well see thats just the thing. I have only seen tea in a tin labelled "Iron Goddess". I have tried other oolongs but by far I enjoy Iron goddess when I am feeling thrifty. Despite living in Japan there are heaps of cheap green tea everywhere. If I want a good selection then I have to go to a big big deptment store, but then everything is labelled with the Chinese Kanji. sigh...

I guess this thread is on track to just order off the internet eh.

Nov 9, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #64 of 750
Just ordered some Ti Kuan Yin (4oz) and Dragonwell (4oz) from adagio.com

I'll probably get some Sencha and some #1 Darjeeling later on...

Adagio's prices are very reasonable. I spent $19 for 4oz of each type and shipping to the UK was $10.

Nov 9, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #65 of 750
I swear all this forum does is make me buy new things over and over hahha!!

I use to drink tea often in bording school, but now that ive been out of the dorms for a while now i dont drink as much (i usualy drunk tea when i was studying).

I think i might head out and grab some chinese tea in the morning
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #66 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Sounds like Lapsang Souchong. Smohhhhh-keeeee!

I love Lapsang Souchong
evil_smiley.gif
to bad I'm not aloud to make it lol.....my ex thought it was gross and stunk up the house, when I took a room back with folks they told me I can not make that &(*&$*% ever again. LOL

People just don't know what there missing.....
eggosmile.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #67 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhw
Barley tea? That sounds like it could be pretty interesting...

It's called Bori-cha, it's a very common Korean tea that you would normally drink cold, I do anyway.

Nov 9, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #68 of 750
Picked up some Crabtree & Evelyn Earl Grey (loose tea). Very nice stuff. I don't usually drink Earl Grey but this one is a nice change from the Chinese teas that I'm used to. I wonder if the Fortnum & Mason Earl Grey can beat this?!

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #69 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Picked up some Crabtree & Evelyn Earl Grey. Very nice stuff. I don't usually drink Earl Grey but this one is a nice change from the Chinese teas that I'm used to. I wonder if the Fortnum & Mason Earl Grey can beat this?!

If it's loose tea and fresh, I'm sure it would. IMHO anything in a tea-bag or on a shelf in a store is stale and of not the best quality. It's amazing what they can charge for some of those teas.

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #70 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever
It's called Bori-cha, it's a very common Korean tea that you would normally drink cold, I do anyway.

In Japanese it's mugicha (mugi being barley). It is great chilled in the hot summer months. We often have a pitcher of mugicha in the fridge in summer.

Nov 9, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #71 of 750
You guys are evil. I have been a tea drinker since I was a kid. I have been drinking loose leaf tea for about 2 years now and i have not spent any money on tea in a while. Well looks like i will need to buy some tea now.

Nov 10, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #72 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489
You guys are evil. I have been a tea drinker since I was a kid. I have been drinking loose leaf tea for about 2 years now and i have not spent any money on tea in a while. Well looks like i will need to buy some tea now.

DO IT!!!

The leaf beckons...

Edit: Just picked up a new tin of Harney Ti Quan Yin...this thread holds much of the blame!

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #73 of 750
I am a very lame and boring person. I keep thinking something must be wrong with my head. I just can't stray away from Orchid Oolong, Iron Goddess or Jansine Dragon Tears (and sometimes English Breakfast if I am in a really crazy mood. Loose of course). I feel they are so perfect - when made right - that I don't feel compelled to try anything else.

More power to you if you like trying different teas. I wish I was that type of tea drinker.

I am wondering how many steepings people do? People use to stare at me at the tea house for topping 10 or more steepings sometimes (small press). I start on the second steeping most days, just pouring out the first. I strongly feel it cleans the leaves from anything that might have been picked up in the processing or shipment stages and opens the leaves for the flavor. It should be warned however, that after many steepings, that this can effectively get all the caffine out of oolong and make one very wired. The flavors around the 7th steeping are well worth the time and effort. It goes without saying that I like my tea on the weak side. BB

Nov 10, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #74 of 750
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower
I am a very lame and boring person. I keep thinking something must be wrong with my head. I just can't stray away from Orchid Oolong, Iron Goddess or Jansine Dragon Tears (and sometimes English Breakfast if I am in a really crazy mood. Loose of course). I feel they are so perfect - when made right - that I don't feel compelled to try anything else.

More power to you if you like trying different teas. I wish I was that type of tea drinker.

I am wondering how many steepings people do? People use to stare at me at the tea house for topping 10 or more steepings sometimes (small press). I start on the second steeping most days, just pouring out the first. I strongly feel it cleans the leaves from anything that might have been picked up in the processing or shipment stages and opens the leaves for the flavor. It should be warned however, that after many steepings, that this can effectively get all the caffine out of oolong and make one very wired. The flavors around the 7th steeping are well worth the time and effort. It goes without saying that I like my tea on the weak side. BB

I usually steep about 15 grams (since it's a bold leaf) for a minute, discard, and steep again. I have gone as many as 5 cups, but as you mentioned, it can make you super wired for some strange reason
basshead.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #75 of 750
QUESTION TO THOSE THAT DRINK ROOIBOS:

I read online that it has a somewhat sweet taste, how sweet is the taste and how else would it be best described?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back