Tea-Fi?
Mar 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #422 of 750
Yeah, ceramic does a much better job than a single walled glass for heat retention.  However, being able to clearly see your tea leaves hydrate and expand as they brew is a neat experience.  I have a clear plastic brewing device for work and my coworkers are always amused by my tea leaves whenever I go for more water.  

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #423 of 750
I highly recommend signing up for the free trial, and get free tea from verdent tea. It supposed to be super high quality. Yes, you have to enter your credit card but the bill that they send to your email shows the tea for the first month is free. Then when you get your tea all you do is cancel your subscription, paying nothing.
http://verdanttea.com/tea-of-the-month-club-subscriptions/?

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #424 of 750

I love green tea (gunpowder especially) but how do you prevent this?

I have the Teavana infuser but aside from keeping the leaves out this sediment slips right through.

Yes, we're talking about filtering near vodka-level

EDIT: Let's extend discussion - recommend some good green teas

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #425 of 750
Well Ty-Phoo, of course.

is

Always excellent.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #426 of 750
Quote:

My parents went to Huang Shan in China for vacation last year and came back with some late harvest cha wan Hou Kui for me and it might be my favorite green tea, even if I've been to Hongzhou and tried Dragon Well from the source.  Bold and herbaceous yet somehow very fresh tasting, packed with flavor despite being a lightly processed tea.  They also brought back some early harvest Hou Kui that I haven't opened yet.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #427 of 750
Quote:

I love green tea (gunpowder especially) but how do you prevent this?

I have the Teavana infuser but aside from keeping the leaves out this sediment slips right through.

Yes, we're talking about filtering near vodka-level

Have you tried using a paper filter for tea inside the infuser?

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #428 of 750
Quote:

My parents went to Huang Shan in China for vacation last year and came back with some late harvest cha wan Hou Kui for me and it might be my favorite green tea, even if I've been to Hongzhou and tried Dragon Well from the source.  Bold and herbaceous yet somehow very fresh tasting, packed with flavor despite being a lightly processed tea.  They also brought back some early harvest Hou Kui that I haven't opened yet.

Teaspring wants $43 (50g) for what may or may not be that. OUCH

Quote:

Have you tried using a paper filter for tea inside the infuser?

Been looking into bags, if there is a specific vendor that is good please do share!

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #429 of 750
Some online retailers will just throw it in (paper filters) when one buys loose tea. My use of Jasmine Pearls inside a Gaiwan has no issues. Now and again, when I try/enjoy other teas in other cups - I'm highly selective what goes into my Gaiwans, since I don't wash 'em with soap - if it's powdery and/or fine, I'll use a paper filter.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #430 of 750
Quote:
Some online retailers will just throw it in (paper filters) when one buys loose tea. My use of Jasmine Pearls inside a Gaiwan has no issues. Now and again, when I try/enjoy other teas in other cups - I'm highly selective what goes into my Gaiwans, since I don't wash 'em with soap - if it's powdery and/or fine, I'll use a paper filter.

Yeah the picture posted was using Enjoyingtea's Pingshui Gunpowder, the pellets were MUCH smaller than expected and they yield a much stronger liqueur than Adagio's. Using them in a gaiwan would be disastrous. Hell even larger leaves like the Dianhong Yunnan was irritating in the gaiwan. What do you use?

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #431 of 750
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah the picture posted was using Enjoyingtea's Pingshui Gunpowder, the pellets were MUCH smaller than expected and they yield a much stronger liqueur than Adagio's. Using them in a gaiwan would be disastrous. Hell even larger leaves like the Dianhong Yunnan was irritating in the gaiwan. What do you use?

Not sure I follow...."What do you use?" Do you mean Tea or teaware?

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #432 of 750
Quote:

Teaspring wants $43 (50g) for what may or may not be that. OUCH

Teaspring has been pretty good about providing authentic tea in the 3-4 orders I've placed with them.  I think my parents spent around $30 usd for a 200g tin, which is a little bit more reasonable.  It is pretty impressive how high quality Hou Kui is processed, the leaves are 2-4 inches long, completely intact with the primary leaf and at least one additional adjacent leaf, that is pressed flat without any damage.  It's packaged loosely in a big tin so the leaves don't get damaged in storage either.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #433 of 750
Quote:

Tea
Quote:

Teaspring has been pretty good about providing authentic tea in the 3-4 orders I've placed with them.  I think my parents spent around $30 usd for a 200g tin, which is a little bit more reasonable.  It is pretty impressive how high quality Hou Kui is processed, the leaves are 2-4 inches long, completely intact with the primary leaf and at least one additional adjacent leaf, that is pressed flat without any damage.  It's packaged loosely in a big tin so the leaves don't get damaged in storage either.

Might have to give them a try, but that particular tea is out of the question at 50 grams for $44

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #434 of 750
Quote:
Quote:

Tea
Quote:

Might have to give them a try, but that particular tea is out of the question at 50 grams for $44

For regular consumption, I mostly drink Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearl from the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. Sprinkled throughout the month with teas given to me by friends from their return trips to China. And online random purchases.

I make sure to get something really nice every few months at premium pricing. Otherwise, my budget stays around $12-$15 for 50 Grams.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #435 of 750
I have visited authentic Chinese food shop which has a lot of varieties of green teas. The shop is kind of cheap and presents the stuff which poor Chinese people from rural areas would drink. So the teas are not noble and expensive. Most of them had a very weird taste and smell as if like of raw potato. I couldn't stand this taste.

For example, green teas in supermarkets are refined and free from strong unusual tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back