TDK BA700?
Nov 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AONihilist

New Head-Fier
My local audio store is currently having a sale of its demo sets (for outdated AKA out of production models), and I found a near-brand-new TDK BA700.

I personally like the BA200 very, very much. It's the exact sound signature I like. Everything about that one is just great, except the build quality. My old one broke due to a wire tearing off and now I ache for it.

I was wondering whether it would be worth my money to get the BA700.

Is it similar to my old BA 200, or how much different? I couldn't really find any reviews on this particular model. It appears to be Asia-only, IDK.

P.S. It's going at over 80% off. I want to grab it before someone else does.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 15
Top is 700, bottom is 200. http://en.goldenears.net/en/?vid=&mid=GR_Earphones&category=&search_target=title&search_keyword=tdk

I believe it's a single armature and it's response looks like a Siren BA so it should be well under $100 on clearance.
Thanks man. That's great.

It appears more mid-centric, overall. Perfectly fine for me.

Maybe I'll like it more than the BA 200.

Issue here is whether it is worth it or not to get just the IEM itself. From what I can see, there isn't much of the accessories thrown into the mix. Mainly just the demo set and the eartips.

Because this is an outdated model, TDK isn't showing it in their products page, so I can't be sure if it has the same accessories as the BA 200. You know of what it comes with?

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 15
It seems to be the cheaper version of this:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/TDK-LoR-%E3%83%9E%E3%82%B0%E3%83%8D%E3%83%81%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E%E3%83%81%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4%E3%83%BC-TH-ECMA600BK/dp/B00A9Q2OXG/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1385400738&sr=8-44&keywords=tdk+clef

I thought they might be the same but upon reading about both, they are not. I do have the MA600. It's kind along the lines of dynamic moving armature like the FADs. The MA600 has lots of bass ad mids (its focus). The treble is kind of shallow. It's probably the bassiest  single armature driver I've ever heard. Now, I'm not sure if the BA700 will sound like the MA600, but they look similar.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 15
  I think the FADs are BAs but custom designed, the 600 a cheap version of an MA and the 700 a suspended diaphragm type BA. 

I"m not saying the FADS and the TDK are the same BAs. I'm saying it's a similar type of technology, a moving coil-type of BA (I think). Also, both of these (MA600 and BA700) were released awhile ago in Japan. The MA600 is more expensive than the BA700. The MA600 is suppose to be the better technology from what I've read on it (a hybrid BA if you will). There's a really long Japanese article on the MA600 that I found about a year ago. I will have to search for it again.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 15
Nov 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 15
Wow... I work half the week away and come back here to find a thread on FADs... Yeah, I really like those, especially the FI-BA-SS.

Anyway, I have never seen the MA600 anywhere in my country, and I've been looking about for a heck of a long time now (my country is one of the smallest and richest in the world; guess where?). It sounds a little off my desired sound signature though, not that I don't like bass.

Quote:
  I think the FADs are BAs but custom designed, the 600 a cheap version of an MA and the 700 a suspended diaphragm type BA. 

So... the BA 700 has a suspended diaphragm? That's cool. Anyone mind explaining that to me? It's the first time I've heard of something like this.

Besides that, since we are on the topic of moving armatures, can anyone tell me of any MA IEMs other than Ortofon? I've never found that company setting up shop in my country, sadly...

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 15
As are Ortofons. The TDK looks a bit less successful from responses I've seen and it's price reflects it. They call theirs a magnetic armature. Material selection and tolerances seem to be a big deal on these.

Finals look like any other vented BAs but are proprietary in their purpose built tuning. May be some unique things going on inside for longer throw etc. but they are what we know recognize as traditional BAs. Pics on their site. Largish BA with a noticeable rear vent.

Siren driver is a mini BA with a longish drive rod connected to the center of a dynamic sized mylar diaphragm. The blue dot is where the drive rod connects and the diaphragm itself is nearly as wide as the housing. They are also vented.

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 15
  As are Ortofons.

Well, he said "MA IEMs other than Ortofon".
wink.gif

Finals look like any other vented BAs but are proprietary in their purpose built tuning. May be some unique things going on inside for longer throw etc. but they are what we know recognize as traditional BAs. Pics on their site. Largish BA with a noticeable rear vent.

You may not have seen the post I linked.

FAD's driver contains a conventional vented BA, but it's enclosed in a (vented) drum-like chamber with resonating front and rear heads to enhance bass response. Which makes the system as a whole quite unique imo.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 15
Okay... I tried the MA 600 today and suffice to say, it lacks body. It's not my type. Do all Moving Armatures sound like the MA 600 or is it just that the MA 600 isn't tuned to my liking?

Well, I decided not to get the demo BA 700, but am considering getting the original, run of the mill, boxed, unopened ones with all the accessories intact.

Anyone can tell me whether the BA 700 is like the BA 200? I still can't find a shop with a demo set that they aren't selling and thus can't let me try them.

I compared the BA 200 with my UE 900 and I have to say, the UE 900 beats my beloved BA 200 hands down in so many aspects (other than bass response). My UE 900 just tramples on the BA 200's performance. Detailing is superb, similar sound staging, great vocals and detachable cables. Nicer design too. I really don't know whether to get the BA 200 again (which I originally intended to).

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 15
  Okay... I tried the MA 600 today and suffice to say, it lacks body. It's not my type. Do all Moving Armatures sound like the MA 600 or is it just that the MA 600 isn't tuned to my liking?

Well, I decided not to get the demo BA 700, but am considering getting the original, run of the mill, boxed, unopened ones with all the accessories intact.

Anyone can tell me whether the BA 700 is like the BA 200? I still can't find a shop with a demo set that they aren't selling and thus can't let me try them.

I compared the BA 200 with my UE 900 and I have to say, the UE 900 beats my beloved BA 200 hands down in so many aspects (other than bass response). My UE 900 just tramples on the BA 200's performance. Detailing is superb, similar sound staging, great vocals and detachable cables. Nicer design too. I really don't know whether to get the BA 200 again (which I originally intended to).

If you already have the UE 900, why would you want to waste money on reacquiring the TDK BA-200? As you said, the 900 is superior in pretty much every way. If anything, repurchase would be merely for posterity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back