TDK BA200 Thread
May 27, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #1,007 of 1,509
I know this is the BA200 thread, but I feel like saying get the BA200 on the impedance issue alone. I just tried mine out on low and high impedance outputs and the difference isn't anything crazy after volume matching. without any in depth analysis or critical listening, there maybe a slightly more forward midrange and peakier treble and an ever so slightly more hollow sound, but I wouldn't even hold myself to those observations knowing there might be expectation bias. But that's probably a ton less damage than that huge output impedance would do to the SE425.

Then again, did you read about the BA200 sound signature and like what you hear? Have you taken a look at any dynamic driver based IEMs?

vwinter - Thanks for your thoughts. This is good support towards my suspicions. I want a good set of IEMs but ones that will actually sound good through my regular setup (the Galaxy S2), which admittedly isn't the best. I occasionally get out my good old Creative Zen Vision:M, which drives much better, and sometimes run through an ancient Technics amp which is very sweet indeed. At the bottom of the heap is my Google Asus Nexus 7, which I find very noisy.

The point of mentioning all of this is that I think that the BA200'S impedance stabiliser circuit can offer some good consistency across different devices without going gung-ho with a portable amp. I might upgrade the phone at some point and I might break down and buy an amp but for now I'm looking for a one size fits all reasonably well solution (if not a one size fits all totally awesome solution :) ).

I like what I've read of the BA200'S soundstage. I was previously using Westone UM1s, which were great but tragically lost on a plane after 5 years of faithful service. This time around I want at very least a dual driver and something slightly less analytical but fits the ear in a similar way. From what I've read, the BA200 is a good upgrade in sound from my UM1s and meets my desires for consistency across different devices, unamped. I mostly listen to rock (full spectrum - low-fi alternative/indie to u2 to Rush to Iron Maiden), encoded to high quality mp3 or FLAC.

One of my other concerns about the BA200 is its robustness, as I'll be using them mostly portably and activities may include jogging or the gym. I'm not a sweathog so never had any problems there with my old UM1s but I need good build quality to stand up to an active lifestyle. This is where I thought the Shure SE425 might prevail - they just look sturdier for roughly the same price and spec but I'll probably give them a miss now on the impedance compatibility consideration.

May 27, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #1,008 of 1,509
Have you tried noozxoide? I have a SGS2, and noozxoide's "line out monitor" works pretty darned well on it (via either poweramp or neutron player). One setting is "enable virtual surround" and if you select the "live II" option, it really increases the soundstage. It's a free app, and well worth seeing how your BA200's sound through it.

Waynes World - I'm very intrigued by the possibilities with noozxoide! Unfortunately, I've just upgraded to Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2, which appears to be incompatible with noozxoide according to Google Play. Maybe I can play around and get an APK running on it or wait for a noozxoide update. Good to know, though, that there is hope for the old Galaxy S2!

May 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,009 of 1,509
I have the SGS2 and the BA200, and via PowerAmp app, it sounds great. there is a lot of clarity and details, even knowing that the SGS2 is not the best sounding phone. 

Osiris1 - Happy to hear that you're happy with the BA200's sound with my exact setup. I can tinker and try getting noozxoide going as well but for now it's good to know I might just be happy with an out of the box solution.

May 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #1,010 of 1,509
Quote:
Waynes World - I'm very intrigued by the possibilities with noozxoide! Unfortunately, I've just upgraded to Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2, which appears to be incompatible with noozxoide according to Google Play. Maybe I can play around and get an APK running on it or wait for a noozxoide update. Good to know, though, that there is hope for the old Galaxy S2!

you can get the the APK on XDA. 
Quote:

Have you tried noozxoide? I have a SGS2, and noozxoide's "line out monitor" works pretty darned well on it (via either poweramp or neutron player). One setting is "enable virtual surround" and if you select the "live II" option, it really increases the soundstage. It's a free app, and well worth seeing how your BA200's sound through it.

it's a funny thing... I am on Cyanogenmod and noozoxide doesn't work via Poweramp. but it does indeed work with stock player and does sound great. 

May 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,012 of 1,509
Quote:
How would you guys compare this ba200 to UE tf10? Dual-BA vs Triple-BA,do can you say that tf10 is better in overall?

1.bp.blogspot.com/-QjJAh8yPpmI/UVr_Y1NXP_I/AAAAAAAAFlU/hojfgGAaEY8/s1600/comp.png

ON SECOND THOUGHT #5: While some may disagree, I can't help but to think that BA200 is a mid-range boosted Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro. Although BA200 is not an upgrade from TF10, this is certainly a good news for the users, who find TF10's mid frequency range little too veiled.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.gr/2013/04/tdk-ba200.html

May 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #1,013 of 1,509

I don't know how to analyze this image (freq response of the two) but the way I understand it is:
UE tf10 focuses on the bass (low freq region) and highs. The mid freq also is left behind so I'm guessing tf10 has a V-shaped sound signature?
Ba200 focuses on mid freq that's why vocals and other instrument are great in this balanced armature?

correct me if I'm wrong and if someone will elaborate it more it'll be good.. :D

May 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,014 of 1,509
I wish I had a chance to hear the TF10 so that I could say with experience instead of just conviction that basing that kind of statement on frequency response is either kind of short sighted with regard to what people may or may not value about sound.

If someone wants to send ones TF10 and I hear that I'm wrong, I'll gladly figuratively eat my hat.

May 28, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #1,016 of 1,509
Quote:
I don't know how to analyze this image (freq response of the two) but the way I understand it is:
UE tf10 focuses on the bass (low freq region) and highs. The mid freq also is left behind so I'm guessing tf10 has a V-shaped sound signature?
Ba200 focuses on mid freq that's why vocals and other instrument are great in this balanced armature?

correct me if I'm wrong and if someone will elaborate it more it'll be good.. :D

FR charts was just as a guide to let you have a rough idea how it responded across the range of frequency. From the FR chart, BA200 mid actually recess a bit, which was norm approach otherwise most singer sounded too prominent. The actual results will still need your own "hearing system" (I mean your ears + your feeling) responses to the BA200 sound signature.

I like to bet that BA200 will give you a "Love at 1st hearing", if you come from others below US$150 normal BA or low end dynamic driver earphone/IEM. "Love in the 3rd degree" if you're basshead dynamic earphone. For myself was something in-between 2 groups.

I came from audiophile background. I wasn't too particular or impress how a tiny IEM can sound the last time. Until one day, my old Sony MDR-EX500SL broken. While looking for a replacement, I've found there's many people rave & crave for the TDK BA200 at my country HWZ website.

So went down to a store to audit it one day. I was totally obsessed by TDK BA200 sweet musical sound with very articulate bass, sweet mid and no ears piercing or sibilance high frequency. Also, the BA200 produces remarkably soundstage size that was not too small and not oversized. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it's just about the right size between our 2 ears and our brain illustrating all the singer, instruments musician positioning.

May 29, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #1,020 of 1,509
Oh dear, I'm so delightful that I picked up TDK BA200 instead of Xba-3/30! The harsh and metallic treble from my previous Xba-1 is gone and I gotta say that TDK BA200 produce a signature which I prefer much more than Xba! The instrument separation is right there and none of them are dominating as opposed to the Xba-1, which gradually just hassle you by that treble. Soundstage is wider, but honestly not as large as I excepting. However, the imagining is just about there, I could at least get a grasp of where are the performers and which direction are the sounds come from. The details are much better too, a lot of instrument I didn't get to hear are now presented within my field of recognization. I was quite worried about the buds since it doesn't look that comfortable (how is it called? Bi-flange or double flange?) but man, I was wrong! Then I tested the comply, and wow, it totally give me a better presentation overally! Not to mention that isolation! I think I won't need another pairs now until it is broken!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back