TDK BA100 Impressions/Discussion Thread
Dec 22, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #32 of 56

Quote:
Quote:

In all honesty, comparing them to the Ety's is bound to highlight their flaws, for the Ety's strive to achieve exceptional detail and clarity, while the BA100 presents with a smooth, extremely non-fatiguing presentation. They certainly aren't Ety clear, but for a $50 in-ear, the midrange met my every expectation. Give this track a listen, and see what you make of the vocals, my friend.

Holy cow, BA100 sounds really good with the track you pointed out. As i've posted in the other thread, the not-optimal sound i was hearing was caused by not trying out all tips. the stock silicone tips does produce best sound compared to the Shure olives. BA100 carries more  in low end compared to HF2. It's hard for me to describe them, but i am loving BA100 more and more that's for sure 
beerchug.gif

Now with the Canada's boxing day sale, i'm so tempted to get MTPC as well. Wife is going to kill me if i even mention it :p

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #33 of 56
Picked up a pair from Newegg- Christmas gift from my wife. Had to check them out prior to them being gift wrapped to make sure I would be satisfied with the fit and sound. The stock tips attached created a comfortable seal that I can certainly live with. They feel pretty light in the ear- definitely more microphonics when worn down- pretty quiet though when worn over the ear though. Now, it has been awhile since I have worn IEMs- I had the Denon C551s and the MEE M6s. The Denons died around 6 months ago and I lost the M6s around the same time (I mostly listen to my computer setup- KEF Q15s driven by a Dayton DTA-100a T-amp fed by a Nuforce uDAC2). I also listen to my M50s when the family is sleeping.

Thus, I have only memory of the other IEMs, however neither of them were nearly as good as the BA100s. The bass on the C551s was rather muddy and I could never quite get a good fit with them. The M6s were quite clear, to a fault- they sounded tinny. Pretty good bass response though. The BA100 are quite clear with very good bass response- it is tight and weighty enough for me with barely any bleed into the mid-range. Obviously it is not nearly are extended as the M50s but very satisfying for an IEM. The mid-range is where these things really shine- female vocals are beautifully rendered- Susan Tedeschi's vocals come through very nicely! Coltrane's tenor sax sounds every bit as good thru the BA100's as thru the KEFs! Now, I am not going to lie, the overall presentation of the BA100s can't hold a candle to my speaker system- but neither do the M50s. 

I will post more impressions of the BA100s after Christmas (with some comparisons to the M50s). 

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #35 of 56
Well, Shure Olives and Complys definitely smooth out the sound a lot more than do silicone tips. It's slightly harder to hear detail, but I like using the Ts-100 on my BA200, but I'm sticking with silicone for now for convenience in wear.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #37 of 56

Quote:
SoulSyde, how are the M-80s? I got a pair for my son for Christmas but I have not heard them yet.

I love them.  They're the best portables I have heard to date.  I even prefer them to many full-size headphones I have owned/heard in the past.

Here are my brief impressions from another thread:

There are so many reviews and comments about them on Head-Fi that anything I can say would be utterly redundant.  So my advice is: Do believe the hype.  They're really that good.

As for them being a "basshead" headphone I would say they are, but slightly.  Not in the sense of a Sony XB Series or an Ultrasone Pro900, but rather in a slightly less boomy but accurate way.  The rest of the frequency spectrum is not overlooked, they are extremely accurate headphones which will please the ears.  They isolate extremely well, which is hard to do with a supra-aural headphone.  As such, with the right positioning on your ears the bass will deliver.  There is a slight v-shaped signature, but not by much.  

These are "keepers" for sure.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #38 of 56
As usual in the uk we get stiffed on the price.  These are £130 from maplin over here :frowning2:

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #40 of 56
Talking about the ba100's :)  Just checked amazon.com and are $73 atm.  Quick conversion makes that £43.00 roughly.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #41 of 56
That's a great price for US amazon shoppers. I haven't heard the BA100, but from all descriptions, they sound like the little brother to the BA200, which is pretty darn good. That notwithstanding, any new single BA (not siren armature-based or ADDIEM) for <$75 is a pretty darn good price.

I still feel I got the deal of the century for my BA200 though, heh.

Quote:
Talking about the ba100's :)  Just checked amazon.com and are $73 atm.  Quick conversion makes that £43.00 roughly.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #42 of 56
can someone compare the BA100 to the A151, because it sounds like they both emphasize upper bass-low midrange and have really bad highs

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #43 of 56
can someone compare the BA100 to the A151, because it sounds like they both emphasize upper bass-low midrange and have really bad highs

Yes, they are both mid centric. BA100 however is better sounding than A151 because it is less thick and offer better clarity, so overall BA100 sounds more balanced.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #44 of 56

Quote:
Yes, they are both mid centric. BA100 however is better sounding than A151 because it is less thick and offer better clarity, so overall BA100 sounds more balanced.

hmmmm, would anyone like to trade a BA100 for a A151?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back