TDK BA100 Impressions/Discussion Thread
Dec 9, 2011 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

i2ehan

Aka: Nightcrawler, Oof Oink
Was flipping items from the classifieds on eBay.
Impressions to follow... 
smile.gif

^ Filter shown in the above image.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 56
[size=small]Initial Impressions:[/size]

[size=small]Design (4/5): The BA100's design intrigues me. The aesthetics are quite appealing, and seem nothing short of well constructed. Visuals aside, the BA100 features a flat cable, much like the one found on Monster in-ears, albeit one that's much shorter in length. The added benefits of a chin slider are a welcome addition, unlike the Trumpets, which feature a similarly flat cable, except without a chin slider (for obvious reasons; ControlTalk).[/size]
[size=small]Accessories (5/5): [/size][size=small]As is listed under the original product page, the TDK includes the following accessories: 75cm extension cord, 4 ear tips sets (S, M, L silicon and Comply™ foam), shirt clip,cleaning tool, 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter plug, storage pouch. Considering they cost me a very reasonable $50, via newegg (discount code expires 12/12, so act fast), I'd say TDK included a generous sum of accessories. Had I paid retail, I'm sure I'd have made a Vsonic reference at some point, but fortunately, TDK leaves little to be desired. The included silicone tips remind me of those included with the Audio Technica's, which is also a welcome addition in my eyes. [/size]
[size=small]Fit/Comfort (4/5): [/size][size=small]Owing to the BA100's angled nozzle, they offer great comfort, and an easily acquired fit and seal, that should be very easily attainable for most. It's really only the tips that are of concern here. However, the only reason I've deducted a point is because they tend to protrude out of the ear quite a bit. No, I don't mean to the extent the TF10's would, for instance, but depending on the tips in use, they do have a tendency to stick out to a noticeable degree. This also becomes problematic (for obvious reasons) for those of us who oft enjoy night time listening, in which case these aren't the most practical of in-ears when laying on ones side. That said, they certainly do offer an easily attainable proper fit and seal, and are as easily worn, as they are removed. [/size]
[size=small]Isolation (4/5): [/size][size=small]Isolation is above average; maybe not Ety good, but certainly above average.[/size]

Sound Quality: One word... smooth.

Before I say anything, bear in mind, these are merely my initial impressions. It isn't all that difficult to interpret the BA100's signature. As mentioned, in a nut shell, the overall sound is extremely smooth, and not the least bit aggressive, from the highs on down. Upon testing the very same tracks in which I've encountered sibilance time and time again, there wasn't the slightest hint of sibilance, nothing, zip, nada. However, that owes to the one aspect that I find is the BA100's greatest weakness, the high end. The high end sounds really rolled off, and quite frankly, leaves me with much to be desired. It's noticeable, but is without a doubt lacking presence. Depending on one's preference, this could be interpreted either way. However, for those in search of bright, crisp highs, with good extention, look elsewhere.

[size=small]That aside, the midrange is where the BA100 shines. It's not exceptional by any means, but it isn't lacking in that sense either. As far as the midrange is concerned, they certainly perform beyond expectations. I'd honestly go as far as to say these are noticeably mid-centric. Vocals are definitely a strong suit, and are rendered beautifully, sounding intimate, and ever so warm and sweet. Coupled with their pleasantly wide stage width, their overall warm, mid-centric signature and liquid smooth presentation makes for an extremely pleasant and relaxing listening experience. Midrange enthusiasts will come to love these, no doubt about it. Considering their price, they exceed my expectations, with regards to overall imaging, timbre, transparency, detail and clarity.[/size]

[size=small]The low end is typical of what one would expect of BA's, in that it's fast, tight, with a good bit of punch. Much like the highs, however, those looking for a good bit of weight and impact, need look elsewhere. Else they're more than adequate for my taste, and I find them nor lacking, nor overemphasized. In other words, the lows are both heard and felt, but only when called upon.[/size]

[size=small]Value (4.5/5): [/size][size=small]Were it not for the noticeably subdued high end, I'd have rated them a 5/5, but even at $50, I can't say I'm the least bit disappointed, as they certainly exceeded my expectations. besides, whatever they lack in high end, they make up for in spades with their midrange. In truth, they make for a very enjoyable listening experience, one where I need not worry about encountering the slightest bit of harshness, or uncontrolled/overpowering low end. They're warm, musical, and in turn consumer oriented sound is hard to fault. My advice, grab them while they're still $50. Having heard the BA100, I'm now compelled to see where the BA200 stands, and will definitely snag a pair when the opportunity presents itself. [/size]
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 56
'scribed

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 56
Second post updated with my initial impressions. In summary, they're definitely winners in my book! 
smile.gif

P.S. The Shure olives fit perfectly fine on these, without any modification necessary. Coupled with the olives, they are even more comfortable, and sound just fantastic with vocals!

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 56
Nice review; sounds like these are very similar to the Creative Aurvana In-Ear2, I wonder if they use the same driver. Assuming that, if the dual driver BA200 is anything like the Aurvana In-ear3, then it probably wont be much of an upgrade sound-wise from the BA100. I hope thats not the case though

Have you tried the BA100 with bi/tri-flanges? It may help with the highs as it did for me on the Aurvana IE2 =). Though it couldve also been because of the deeper seal, not sure lol

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 56
Quote:
Have you tried the BA100 with bi/tri-flanges? It may help with the highs as it did for me on the Aurvana IE2 =). Though it couldve also been because of the deeper seal, not sure lol

Indeed, I have, with the meelec biflanges, GR07 biflanges, and Westone triflanges. However, same scenario, and I honestly don't expect to hear any different, simply because I'm assuming they're tuned that way. 
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 56

Quote:
Second post updated with my initial impressions. In summary, they're definitely winners in my book! 
smile.gif

P.S. The Shure olives fit perfectly fine on these, without any modification necessary. Coupled with the olives, they are even more comfortable, and sound just fantastic with vocals!

i2ehan,  What size would hole in the Comply foam tips compare with, compared to other Comply tips?  The nozzle looks about the size of the Phonak to me!

What do you think?

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 56
From the looks of it, I'm pretty sure it's the T-100, since the nozzle is similar to that found on Shure/Westone. The fact that the Shure olives fit them just fine lead me to believe so. 
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 56

Quote:
From the looks of it, I'm pretty sure it's the T-100, since the nozzle is similar to that found on Shure/Westone. The fact that the Shure olives fit them just fine lead me to believe so. 
smile.gif

Thanks i2ehan.....I'll have to wait until next week when my BA200's arrive to see if the nozel is the same as the BA100....if so, I've got all the tips I would ever need with that info.....the Phonak tips would fil as well!

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 56
Looking forward to your BA200 impressions, my friend. Where did you purchase from, if you don't mind me asking?

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 56
Thanks i2ehan.....I'll have to wait until next week when my BA200's arrive to see if the nozel is the same as the BA100....if so, I've got all the tips I would ever need with that info.....the Phonak tips would fil as well!

...or I can tell you right now that the nozzle are the same between BA100 and BA200.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #13 of 56
Nice impressions i2ehan... I wish I tried them out the other day when I was helping my friend buy earphones (distracted by the SE535LTD-J lol). I told my friend to try them out, as it was in his price range, but he preferred my GR07s; I didn't get a good feel for how good it was, as he's not really an audio enthusiast. All this talk is making me so antsy; my broken ATM card is really a big annoyance.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 56
i've had a pair since september. its pretty mid centric and vocals sounded great on them.

the biggest flaw i have with them are their design. the flat cables make microphonics totally unbearable. hence, when on the go i'm forced to wear it over ear, but u have to switch channels to do that. and for my pair, one side of the "tdk" logo plate fell off from the housing, den the cable coming out from the strain relief of the extension cable towards the mp3 player spoiled (distorted sound, need to adjust adjust to get a good sound, = basically unusable becos without the extension cable the cable is tooooo damn short), which probably was my fault since i abuse my earphones alot lol. after that i simply jumped on a vsonic gr07, n nv looked back. still lazy to get them rma-ed, which i will do soon b4 considering selling them.

but at the price i bought it for (SGD $100), they are totally worth it.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:
Nice impressions i2ehan... I wish I tried them out the other day when I was helping my friend buy earphones (distracted by the SE535LTD-J lol). I told my friend to try them out, as it was in his price range, but he preferred my GR07s; I didn't get a good feel for how good it was, as he's not really an audio enthusiast. All this talk is making me so antsy; my broken ATM card is really a big annoyance.

The GR07 are far more accurate than the BA100, so that's understandable. My criticism of the TDK is based solely on the price at which they were acquired ($49.99 in my case), in which case they perform well above expectations. 
smile.gif

Quote:
i've had a pair since september. its pretty mid centric and vocals sounded great on them.

the biggest flaw i have with them are their design. the flat cables make microphonics totally unbearable. hence, when on the go i'm forced to wear it over ear, but u have to switch channels to do that. and for my pair, one side of the "tdk" logo plate fell off from the housing, den the cable coming out from the strain relief of the extension cable towards the mp3 player spoiled (distorted sound, need to adjust adjust to get a good sound, = basically unusable becos without the extension cable the cable is tooooo damn short), which probably was my fault since i abuse my earphones alot lol. after that i simply jumped on a vsonic gr07, n nv looked back. still lazy to get them rma-ed, which i will do soon b4 considering selling them.

but at the price i bought it for (SGD $100), they are totally worth it.

As OCD careful as I am with my gadgets (be it earphones or not), I'm hoping I won't encounter any of the aforementioned troubles down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back