Taste in music change?
Apr 18, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #16 of 32
I joined this community because I wanted the music I listen to to sound better. My music tastes haven't really changed, but I've been getting into more indie jazz lately. I dont think its really becuase of head-fi.... or is it?

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #17 of 32
001.png

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 32
I've found myself listening and enjoying classical and intimate female vocals more lately.

Previously I was a die-hard chill-out/trance/house electronica fan, with a smattering of rock/pop.

I put it down primarily to the upgrades I've made with my headphones - firstly the AKG 701, then the ATH-W5000. The W5000 especially really helped broaden my palate in this direction.

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #20 of 32
I used to be a hard core punk lover, but now I find myself listening more and more to music my father would like...
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait to take a new look on his 200+ LP collection from the 70's and 80's though! Think I have to give him a visit soon...

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 32
Since joining head-fi I've stopped succumbing to peer pressure (i.e. listening crappy mainstream crap for the sole reason of fitting in and staying cool) and now listen to music that I truly enjoy and love. That and head-fiers have great taste in music!
icon10.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 32
I think it is a change in personality wich provides the change in music you prefer to hear, or the mood, or just the simple fact that as you grow older you get to know more music.
When I was about 10 or so I started out with mellow dance and changed to heavy hardcore ( like thunderdoom and stuff). Then I dropped that part when I was about 15 and swopped to heavy metal like real heavy like Slayer and that kinda stuff. After that I went softer and started listening to new-age metal like Pleymo, Watcha, Korn, Mudvayne. Then I also started to appreciate Pink Floyd, Yes, Saga, Classical music. Jazzy stuff, techno and so on.
Now, I ended up liking almost every sort of music, or at least a lot, except R&B and top 40 music and Schlager and happy-peppy trance commercial ****.
Funny how it goes
icon10.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #24 of 32
I used to hate instrumental music of any sort. Anything without vocals just bored me. Post head-fi with a better set up, I can enjoy all sorts of instrumental music.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a part of the Head-Fi community for the past two years has changed my musical tastes, in every genre.
Although it has definitely opened my eyes up to alot more varieties of classical, I believe the most dramatic change in my musical tastes has to be within the metal genre.I am open to and listen to more types of music now that I ever thought I would.I am a happier man as a result
biggrin.gif

x2 - except the happier man part! I'm a girl
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #26 of 32
Since getting good (not great) hps and amp (pretty good), I stopped limiting myself to what I thought my tastes were and have been all over the place. Getting into world folk now. Chinese, Russian, Middle Eastern, Latin, Carribean, etc. Can't understand a word of most of it but the music is so passionate. I swore I would never play a country song on my rigs. Now I have 300+ songs.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #27 of 32
When I was in college, I was listening to "kid music"... Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Talking Heads, etc. By chance I heard Cab Calloway's "Some Of These Days" on the radio and my whole frame of reference expanded exponentially. I've never gone back to the kid music. Since then, I've gone through a few dozen musical genres... pre-war blues, big band swing, post-bop, sweet music, ragtime, opera, classical, R&B, rock n' roll, rockabilly, etc etc etc.

Tastes HAVE TO change. It's part of growing up.

See ya
Steve

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swore I would never play a country song on my rigs.

Play Conway Twitty's "Hello Darlin'" or Buck Owens' "I've Got A Tiger By The Tail" or some good modern bluegrass on your rig and feel your brain explode with pleasure over a whole new world you never imagined.

See ya
Steve

Apr 19, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #29 of 32
Not I!

I have been a Head Banger / Rocker since the 2nd grade. 36ish years old now, and I still can't escape the hold that Metal / Rock have on me. Granted, the myriad of different sub-genres of Metal / Rock have changed over the years though. But this is the type of music I gravitate toward the most. It's in my blood, and I doubt there is any escape for me.

So crank it up screw**s!

smiley-faces-39.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Play Conway Twitty's "Hello Darlin'" or Buck Owens' "I've Got A Tiger By The Tail" or some good modern bluegrass on your rig and feel your brain explode with pleasure over a whole new world you never imagined.

See ya
Steve

I do and have. Some of the vocals of the older country crooners are just awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back