Tansio Mirai Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #1,396 of 2,410
Got roughly 50 hours on the Sands. Can't say it has changed much but thats not a bad thing. I did however throw on the ISN G4 cable on it.
So one negative of the stock cable. The stock cable is all about transparancy as it uses a nicely resolving OCC cable plated in silver. The stock cable seems to accentuate the detail aspects of the Sands. I have no issue with the stock cable per se but after trying out the ISN G4 I can clearly tell the stock cable does not provide the best synergy with the Sands.

With the G4 the Sands sounds absolutely nothing like a $300 earphone. G4 has more copper properties to its make up including some graphene to help with the technical aspects. Sands technicalities are already very strong but then adding this cable and now we have a nice higher end sound that the stock cable just can't do.

No need to buy a $100 ISN G4. I am just putting it out there. The Sands clearly has much potential that can be unlocked by a better cable.

Apr 8, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #1,397 of 2,410
Sand looks impressive and maybe better than Canon.
Canon has different shape, more CIEM like with longer nozzle instead Sand looks similar to "Oriolus" shape, i had Crassirostris and i have here Trailli on my hands.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,398 of 2,410
Sands with the G4 cable is unreal. They sound nothing like what the price would indicate. This combo will compete with earphones double or triple the price point I am willing to bet on it. I tried a new cable I recently reviewed called the Wolfram which is a pure silver cable shielded with OFC copper and the Sands most definitely scales to nicer cables.

If you guys are on the fence with the Sands, if you get that VIP mail by Penon. Go for it you wont regret it. I bet you will have never heard anything like the Sands at the price. Canons comes close and those have a complete sound to their own but the Sands right now for me has taken my attention front line and center. Especially if your into your energetic tuning w reference level technicalities. If your more into warm signatures I would pass but for folks that love their detailed presentations. GO FOR IT.

You guys own a nice copper based cable and want something that will completely surprise you. Get on a set. Even if you own higher end stuff.

Apr 9, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #1,401 of 2,410
@Dsnuts how would you compare Sands VS FD7 , especialy on timbre ?

Apr 9, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #1,402 of 2,410
@Dsnuts how would you compare Sands VS FD7 , especialy on timbre ?
FD7 your talking about one of the best timbrally accurate earphones, by nature dynamics will have a more natural timbre vs BA offerings. The two earphones are very different in approach, are tuned differently.

Sands are all about detail, imaging sound separation and has more treble presence over the FD7. FD7 has a slight natural warmth to its tonality the Sands has a slight coolness to its tonality. In a traditional sense the Sands are more closer to the hi fidelity tunings out of Asia the FD7 I feel is more closer to how western enthusiasts feel hi fidelity sounds. FD7 is more organic and again has excellent timbre. The Sands strengths are in its highly detailed presentation that picks off the smallest of micro details better than anything I have heard at its price point.

Yes even over the Canon.
By the way I was finally was able to compare the Sands with the Canons
DSC09698.JPG
Both share similar sound signatures. The bass end of the Sands with the bass switch on they share very similar bass emphasis. I think the bio dynamic on the canon has a just a touch smoother texture for its bass otherwise they share very similar bass presentations. I noticed the bass end while not more emphasized than the Canon, has better separation from the mids and that is probably due to the the Sands having a slight less lower mids presence than the Canons add to that the bass dynamic has its own sound bore to your ears. Bass sounds more rounded and slightly more physical on the Sands due to this aspect.

Where the difference is in the treble aspects of the tunings. I can tell the Sands have a bit more treble presence but it is not just more emphasis but has more articulation in general and is separated better than what presents on the Canons. Mids show just a little bit of brightness on the Sands and that is due to the more present treble end. The Sands are more detailed IEM due to the ample treble end having better extension and sounds more airy for trebles too in the process. Canons sounds like it has more lower mids presence vs the Sands. Their sound stage is very similar in width and both have a dimensional sound presentations.

Very identical in many ways both these IEMS. But I do think the Sand have an edge in technical aspects with a bit wider sound stage over the Canons. Its imaging is better separated especially for upper note registers over the Canon but the Canon has more lower mids presence. I noticed Sands need a good copper based cable like the G4 to smooth out that tonal character and adds better fullness to the sound. The Canon does not. Sands have a slightly more higher end more technical sound vs the Canons. Canons sounds a touch smoother and not as detailed or do they have the precise imaging of the Sands.

Now for something like rock the Canon does just fine but that is where the Sands are not good as some poorly recorded rock music sounds terrible on the Sands. So the Canons are more forgiving of poorly recorded material The Sands are not as forgiving..

This is the reason why I mention cable pairings will be essential to the Sands overall sound presentation. With the right cable the Sands will be much more than you would imagine as the more I am hearing the Sands the more I feel the stock cable does not match up well. But once you get the right match up. .You will know your dealing with something that is very difficult to find at the price point the Sands are being sold at. They become reference like.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #1,403 of 2,410
FD7 your talking about one of the best timbrally accurate earphones, by nature dynamics will have a more natural timbre vs BA offerings. The two earphones are very different in approach, are tuned differently.

Sands are all about detail, imaging sound separation and has more treble presence over the FD7. FD7 has a slight natural warmth to its tonality the Sands has a slight coolness to its tonality. In a traditional sense the Sands are more closer to the hi fidelity tunings out of Asia the FD7 I feel is more closer to how western enthusiasts feel hi fidelity sounds. FD7 is more organic and again has excellent timbre. The Sands strengths are in its highly detailed presentation that picks off the smallest of micro details better than anything I have heard at its price point.

Yes even over the Canon.

Both share similar sound signatures. The bass end of the Sands with the bass switch on they share very similar bass emphasis. I think the bio dynamic on the canon has a just a touch smoother texture for its bass otherwise they share very similar bass presentations. I noticed the bass end while not more emphasized than the Canon, has better separation from the mids and that is probably due to the the Sands having a slight less lower mids presence than the Canons add to that the bass dynamic has its own sound bore to your ears. Bass sounds more rounded and slightly more physical on the Sands due to this aspect.

Where the difference is in the treble aspects of the tunings. I can tell the Sands have a bit more treble presence but it is not just more emphasis but has more articulation in general and is separated better than what presents on the Canons. Mids show just a little bit of brightness on the Sands and that is due to the more present treble end. The Sands are more detailed IEM due to the ample treble end having better extension and sounds more airy for trebles too in the process. Canons sounds like it has more lower mids presence vs the Sands. Their sound stage is very similar in width and both have a dimensional sound presentations.

Very identical in many ways both these IEMS. But I do think the Sand have an edge in technical aspects with a bit wider sound stage over the Canons. Its imaging is better separated especially for upper note registers over the Canon but the Canon has more lower mids presence. I noticed Sands need a good copper based cable like the G4 to smooth out that tonal character and adds better fullness to the sound. The Canon does not. Sands have a slightly more higher end more technical sound vs the Canons. Canons sounds a touch smoother and not as detailed or do they have the precise imaging of the Sands.

Now for something like rock the Canon does just fine but that is where the Sands are not good as some poorly recorded rock music sounds terrible on the Sands. So the Canons are more forgiving of poorly recorded material The Sands are not as forgiving..

This is the reason why I mention cable pairings will be essential to the Sands overall sound presentation. With the right cable the Sands will be much more than you would imagine as the more I am hearing the Sands the more I feel the stock cable does not match up well. But once you get the right match up. .You will know your dealing with something that is very difficult to find at the price point the Sands are being sold at. They become reference like.
Thanks for the comparison! I guess for some aggressive metal music both Canon and Sand would work fine, but Canon is safer :) how about isolation and comfort on both?

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #1,404 of 2,410
Thanks for the comparison! I guess for some aggressive metal music both Canon and Sand would work fine, but Canon is safer :) how about isolation and comfort on both?
Both are about 26dbs of isolation. All resin designs are better at isolation than metal shells or plastic hollow shells for example. Both will be excellent of out and about.
Both are about equal in comfort as both are medium sized shells. Unless you have tiny ears, comfort will not be an issue.

For Metal music I would go with the Canons the Sands are more for classical, orchestral, vocal, jazz instrumental music. Sands can do metal just fine but your gonna realize just how bad some of your metal music is recorded. Lol. Canons are more forgiving of aggressive speedy type music.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,405 of 2,410

Yes even over the Canon.
DSC09698.JPG

Thanks for those comparison.
Sands seems complementary with the FD7, but maybe too near from my Fibae 7

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,407 of 2,410
DSC09699.JPG
Sands and the ISN G4
DSC09702.JPG
You can see the S labeled on the bottom BAs. No question these are dual Sonion BAs. Given the space limitations makes sense.
DSC09703.JPG
Triple bored, reason why these are so technical and with a proper lip. I hope Tansio sticks to this newer shell design for future earphones.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #1,408 of 2,410
DSC09699.JPG
Sands and the ISN G4
DSC09702.JPG
You can see the S labeled on the bottom BAs. No question these are dual Sonion BAs. Given the space limitations makes sense.
DSC09703.JPG
Triple bored, reason why these are so technical and with a proper lip. I hope Tansio sticks to this newer shell design for future earphones.
Cable matches nicely with the faceplate. I would probably rock that combo myself.

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #1,409 of 2,410
My Sands arrived today. Initial sonic impressions are mixed. I am using setting 100. I am using Apple Music to Paw S1 to Sands. The Sands is tuned radically different than any of my other sets. It is a "technicalities" monster. Soundstage is wide and tall and decently deep. It lacks the width of the Serial, the depth of the 2021 Hana, and the 360 degree (but intimate) soundstage of the Bravery. I am not so sure about the tonality and tuning. Etched instruments somewhat. Details. Details. Details. Fantastic solo and concerto violins but hi-hats from hell. Felt piano is sublime (magic beyond words) but a Yamaha grand sounds thin. Brushed snares are quite impressive. In fact, percussion through the frequency range other than high hats and crash cymbals are stellar. Bass guitar is okay. Electric and acoustic guitars take on a lighter/brighter than natural tone then they should. Sometimes the recording quality makes a huge difference. Sometimes seems w-shaped but the depressions/rises seem off for some vocals and complimentary for others. BB King sounds like Bart Simpson trying to sing low. Sinne Egg sounds great. HORRIBLE with pop music. I am not sure if I will keep the Sands to fill a niche or sell/trade it for something else.

Looks and build are stellar. Fits perfectly. Tiny but luxurious case. Cable seems to be solid. Decent variety of eartips. I am using the stock tips. I briefly tried Final E tips. Bad. Bad. Bad.

If you like this, you will like the Sands:

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #1,410 of 2,410
I would use the mid switch up and I like both 1 on or off depending on my mood which is bass enhancement. But the center switch forward is a good idea as it adds a few dbs to the mids and balances out the sound better than having them in the off position. The Sands are complicated IEM.

Very unforgiving of bad recordings and your sources will matter when matched up with the Sands. Try this and that and most importantly try your other cables too. The stock cable is good for enhancing details and the Sands technical aspects but it is difficult to use after using some of my better cables on the Sands. Try the cable that came with the Serial for example. Whcih is more copper based than silver. It will change tonal character of the Sands.

I hope you get the right combo of tips cable and source to match up with them and hear how I am hearing them. I am not too much on my analytical IEMS but after using the Sands for the past week listening to some of the other IEMS I have reviewed recently makes them sound a bit dull. Lol.

Try this and that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back