Tansio Mirai Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #2,251 of 2,424
Penon said in an email that the offer on the TSMR-X would be ending tomorrow. It wasn't clear if they meant the $399 discount or the small discount on top of it offered to those in their mailing list, but my inclination was that it referred to the $399 discount, and it being listed on AE at full price would corroborate that. The mention of that date on the Tansio Store also suggests that. So although I don't know for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if it also goes up to $699 on the Penon and Tansio websites in a day or two.

Also, just checked the Penon site and they still have the discount with the pre-order end date now changed to March 4th - either generosity on their part or more devilish marketing strategies, depending on your perspective. Either way, good to know people have some more time to pick them up, my early impressions tell me they're a good buy at $399 (wouldn't want to buy them at $699, but I also haven't tried any IEMs that expensive for comparison, diminishing returns and all that).

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #2,252 of 2,424
My TSMR-X ordered during the CNY arrived today :) Way way too busy over the next few days to give them the time they deserve, but couldn't resist putting them in my ears for a little bit. First impressions are extremely positive. It's an intoxicating marriage of that clarity and detail along with some very engaging bass from the DDs. My impression from my S12 Pros was that I really wasn't much of a treble/detail head which has pushed me towards darker, warmer sets, but having done a quick side by side between these and the S12 Pros these sound so much more full and complete and shows me there is definitely room in my rotation for a more energetic set. I still use my S12 Pros (with EQ) specifically for fast-paced metal, so will be interesting to see how these stack up against them on that front.

My main reservation were the reports of recessed mids, but they don't sound too recessed to me - I think it's the crispness and the detail retrieval which means the vocals stay engaging enough in the overall presentation, as well as the very nice (non-planar) timbre.

Very surprised to hear I seem to like all three of the viable tuning options, but expect I'll mostly use 010 and 100. Quickly compared the stock tips to foams, and I prefer the foams, as I do for most of my sets. Keeps the treble just where I want it and makes the overall sound more engaging to my ear. I found the Moondrop T55 foams work well - they're made for nozzles wider than this, but as the TSMR-X has a taper at the base of the nozzle you can push the tips quite far down and it seems to have a solid purchase. Will try against my preferred silicon tips (S&S) as well as some new tips I've also just acquired (Penon Liqueur orange and Divinus Velvet) when I get the time though :)

Currently using stock cable, but will try others at the weekend - I can't say I'm a cable-believer, but I always try a few just in case. I hope I don't hear any sonic improvements though, I absolutely love the ergonomics of this stock cable - great feel and thickness, satisfyingly tight braid, and lovely earhooks. Only negative is the bizarre fastener for the neck tie thing which is a loose gold ring that seems to serve no practical purpose unless you're already wearing them and don't move - but I can live with that!

Hope anyone still waiting for theirs gets them soon! :)
The TMSR X are, for me, a very interesting IEM. It's nice sometimes to just get an IEM we put in our ears and everything is simple, and we love it. The TMSR X are not that. They take concentration, listening and attention, much like like ones demanding only child....and they have complexity...much like a fine wine. I have a favourite IEM and the darned TSMR X came along and matched it (will be nameless). For classical musical lovers the TSMR X has it all....technicalities and bass. These are like a fine wine, a complex Michelin * meal. Hope you get enough time with them to ❤️them. I have the S12 too....now relegated to the substitutes bench.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #2,253 of 2,424
I have been using them to game with of all things due to its outstanding dynamics and highly detailed nature and its very accurate imaging, its spacious stage makes for a fantastic gaming IEM. If any of you guys try them for media, its excellent for both movies and gaming.

Not bad for music too.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #2,255 of 2,424
TSMR-X landed today.
Thanks @Penon.
First, they are beautifull.
With bigger DD than 10th I expected more intense Low. But not realy.
Sub are bigger, but I don't feel a so big difference with 10th.
The thing that concerns me is that I find the voices further back. Would anyone have felt this too?

No it's burning time...

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #2,256 of 2,424
B
TSMR-X landed today.
Thanks @Penon.
The thing that concerns me is that I find the voices further back. Would anyone have felt this too?

No it's burning time...
The Penon 10th, to me, is a perfect IEM. The 10 X...be patient...it opens up. Break in + brain burn in. It will catch up with the 10th. You might need to cable roll as the OG cable is a bit bland and not the most musical

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #2,257 of 2,424
I’d have thought you’d want open-back headphones for gaming, or at least headphones in general for the soundstage?

I actually prefer IEMs for gaming. Open backs works well but lack the bass that I like in gaming so something like the TSMR-X is perfect for me.

TSMR-X landed today.
Thanks @Penon.

No it's burning time...

A few things. yes burn them in. Tips and cables makes a big difference in how your hearing the TSMR-X. Give them some time and you will understand whey we are all fans of the TSMR-X. Let us know how things are going for you after some burn in.

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #2,258 of 2,424
Update on the TSMR-X based on the little more time I've had with them:
  • Firstly, I'd like to unreservedly apologise for my previous sacrilege about preferring foams on the TSMR-X. Having tried the Divinus Velvets on them, as well as the TSMR-X slowly teasing me into its enrapturing world of treble and detail, they're even better than with the foams. Amazing combination. Preferring the Velvets to the orange Liqueurs so far.
  • My Canon II's were my go-to versatile, play-anything set before these, but I'm currently finding it hard to justify owning them when I have the TSMR-X. Crazy to think the TSMR-X is $399 currently and the Canon II's are $379, these definitely sound a step above pretty much across the board. The only thing the Canons appear to have going for them is extra warmth, which is only situationally preferred, and I have my Quattros for when I want my music to hug me. As Dsnuts said, the Quattro and TSMR-X complement each other wonderfully.
  • I think Dsnuts also said that the TSMR-X tunes itself to the lowest-bass switch activated, and my experience supports that. Not sure if everyone else is doing this but that means I just keep all the switches up and just flick off whichever switches I don't need (so really it's 111 for heavy bass, 011 for balanced, 001 for reduced bass). Means a couple less switch flicks over your lifetime for the chronically lazy amongst us, unless you regularly use the 000 tuning, in which case you need to get help urgently.
    • If anyone else also always has a Swiss army knife on their person, the tiny tweezers are great for flicking the switches. The metal bit that goes through the strap on a watch buckle can work too, in a pinch. Because life's too short to spend your time looking for SIM tools!

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #2,259 of 2,424
  • Firstly, I'd like to unreservedly apologise for my previous sacrilege about preferring foams on the TSMR-X. Having tried the Divinus Velvets on them, as well as the TSMR-X slowly teasing me into its enrapturing world of treble and detail, they're even better than with the foams. Amazing combination. Preferring the Velvets to the orange Liqueurs so far.
  • My Canon II's were my go-to versatile, play-anything set before these, but I'm currently finding it hard to justify owning them when I have the TSMR-X. Crazy to think the TSMR-X is $399 currently and the Canon II's are $379, these definitely sound a step above pretty much across the board. The only thing the Canons appear to have going for them is extra warmth, which is only situationally preferred, and I have my Quattros for when I want my music to hug me. As Dsnuts said, the Quattro and TSMR-X complement each other wonderfully.
  • I think Dsnuts also said that the TSMR-X tunes itself to the lowest-bass switch activated, and my experience supports that. Not sure if everyone else is doing this but that means I just keep all the switches up and just flick off whichever switches I don't need (so really it's 111 for heavy bass, 011 for balanced, 001 for reduced bass). Means a couple less switch flicks over your lifetime for the chronically lazy amongst us, unless you regularly use the 000 tuning, in which case you need to get help urgently.
    • If anyone else also always has a Swiss army knife on their person, the tiny tweezers are great for flicking the switches. The metal bit that goes through the strap on a watch buckle can work too, in a pinch. Because life's too short to spend your time looking for SIM tools!
You want to try an interesting experiment. Try the Quattro cable on the TSMR-X and try the TSMR-X cable on the Quattros.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #2,260 of 2,424
According to the instructions, it is intended for only one switch at a time.
1709159047971.png

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #2,261 of 2,424
According to the instructions, it is intended for only one switch at a time.
They're probably switching on/off resistors in parallel, so the difference is likely negligible. The lowest activated resistance will dominate: 1xx followed by x1x, and finally xx1, where 000 means open circuit (no resistors connecting the bass drivers to the crossover).

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #2,262 of 2,424
TSMR-X landed today.
Thanks @Penon.

No it's burning time...
I too find the mids on the X a bit recessed, but it is pretty relative. I didn’t notice until I compared it to the Pula Pa02 that I received the same week. The X is definitely an engaging set.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #2,264 of 2,424
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #2,265 of 2,424
Received mine today. Never received a tracking code. I expected it to show up these days so was keeping an eye out on the app of the postal service. First impressions this bass is addicting.
I am also surprised I didn't have to pay taxes nor other costs for getting it. Not sure how Penon managed that or if I just got lucky but I am happy.
I got a Isn H16 cable as new years present with my order. Sadly it is 2.5 termination but would that be any better than the standard cable? I think I prefer 8 core cables over 16 this thing is thick. Running the X on my Ivipq 233 cable now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back