Tangentsoft CMOY tut - substituting parts?
Dec 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What op-amps would swap straight into the tangent-style CMOYs?

Notes on Audio Op-Amps

Not all of them are plug-and-play in a CMoy, but most of them are. For the ones that aren't: Working with Cranky Op-Amps

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #17 of 57
rds, a nice quote. would have been helpful had you remembered that before calling bicmos "a bipolar bjt + cmos",
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

rds, a nice quote. would have been helpful had you remembered that before calling bicmos "a bipolar bjt + cmos"

The reason I said that is to indicate to you where the bipolar term comes from in bicmos as you claimed it indicates the chip is made using a bipolar manufacturing process.
I don't have the time or inclination to dredge through the countless factual mistakes you've made since you started posting a week ago so lets just move on can we?
And to be a little more direct I can't stand you, so there's that too.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by millwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rds, a nice quote. would have been helpful had you remembered that before calling bicmos "a bipolar bjt + cmos",
smily_headphones1.gif

But isn't that exactly what BiCMOS is?

BiCMOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In integrated circuit technologies, BiCMOS, also called BiMOS, refers to the integration of bipolar junction transistors and CMOS technology into a single device"

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But isn't that exactly what BiCMOS is?

BiCMOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In integrated circuit technologies, BiCMOS, also called BiMOS, refers to the integration of bipolar junction transistors and CMOS technology into a single device"

it is the process from which both bjts and cmos transistors are made. what rds said that was to put a "bipolar bjt" and cmos together on a device, not to mention that "bipolar" is redundant in "bipolar bjt" because the "b" in "bjt" means bipolar.

he is also the same guy who called dcp01b (a bicmos product) the same as dcp01 (a bipolar product).

to just name a few of his entertaining bits.

Quote:

And to be a little more direct I can't stand you,

don't worry, the disdain is mutual.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

millwood-
he is also the same guy who called dcp01b (a bicmos product) the same as dcp01 (a bipolar product).

Quote:

rds-
Yes, the DCP01 was a bipolar. It is no longer produced. All the chip types are now CMOS/DMOS. Referring to the DCP01B as DCP01 is perfectly acceptable as there is only one DCP01 now - that is the non bipolar one.

he (professor millwood) is also the same guy who called dcp02 (a bicmos product) the same as dcp01 (a bipolar product).

Quote:

millwood-
the first one is the dcp01/02, using bipolar processes. there is the regulated version in dcr (3.3v/5v only), and then the new dcv (bicmos) for higher efficiency.

Anyways, I won't digress to respond to you any further.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #22 of 57
What should I do when I want to remove those input caps (C2)? Should I put resistors there with a same value as R3? Actually I run my cmoy without C2, it sounds ok to me. I use AD8397 or AD8066 for the op-amps.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he (professor millwood) is also the same guy who called dcp02 (a bicmos product) the same as dcp01 (a bipolar product).

I'm not going to bother refuting you point by point anymore. You've done a great job of making this very confusing for anyone trying get some factual information from this thread.

I hope you can stop spamming this thread with nonsense.

Quote:

Anyways, I won't digress to respond to you any further.

so far, you haven't been a man of your words, and I doubt you will be in the f uture.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron.id /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What should I do when I want to remove those input caps (C2)? Should I put resistors there with a same value as R3? Actually I run my cmoy without C2, it sounds ok to me. I use AD8397 or AD8066 for the op-amps.

if you are reasonably sure that your amp wouldn't see DC on the input, you can just short C2.

just understand that if the amp does see DC, with C2 shorted, you run the risk of damaging your headphones.

personally, I don't understand the fascination with dc-coupled amps because as far as I know, no speakers can reproduce DC, no functioning audio sources produce DC, and no humans can hear DC.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

personally, I don't understand the fascination with dc-coupled amps because as far as I know, no speakers can reproduce DC, no functioning audio sources produce DC, and no humans can hear DC.

It is a fairly simple concept to understand and figure out.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

if you are reasonably sure that your amp wouldn't see DC on the input, you can just short C2.

just understand that if the amp does see DC, with C2 shorted, you run the risk of damaging your headphones.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do know about possibility of DC offset on the input. Actually as I stated before, I do run my cmoy without C2, I just short it. What I want to know is, should I put resistors there with the same value as R3?
confused_face.gif
I want to make both inverting & non inverting input of the op-amps have a same impedance. Thank you.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron.id /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do know about possibility of DC offset on the input. Actually as I stated before, I do run my cmoy without C2, I just short it. What I want to know is, should I put resistors there with the same value as R3?
confused_face.gif
I want to make both inverting & non inverting input of the op-amps have a same impedance. Thank you.

No. One of the kids gave you the info a few posts back, but from the opamp's perspective, R2 = R3 || R4. R2 should also be ~ 10x the pot value, so that locks you into a somewhat difficult spot with some (or many) resistor combinations.

Take a look at Tangent's DC offset calculator Electronics Calculators. You might also search on the mini3ified PINT, as alot of this needed to be accounted for in developing those resistor values.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. One of the kids gave you the info a few posts back, but from the opamp's perspective, R2 = R3 || R4. R2 should also be ~ 10x the pot value, so that locks you into a somewhat difficult spot with some (or many) resistor combinations.

Take a look at Tangent's DC offset calculator Electronics Calculators. You might also search on the mini3ified PINT, as alot of this needed to be accounted for in developing those resistor values.

Thanks for your reply
biggrin.gif

Ah, I forgot about Tangent's calculator. Btw, what is the meaning of "||" in R2 = R3 || R4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back