Tampa Florida 19/11/05 meet impressions thread!
Nov 24, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #92 of 128
Just wanted to let all the guys who went out with me and Xenia for her birthday know how much she enjoyed the company and she wants to know when the next meet is,seriously.She had so much fun that it looks like we might be coming up to the national meet for sure,so I'll let you know Aaron.Too many people to thank individually,but we had a blast and we can't wait to do it again.Gary.

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #93 of 128
I posted my new tube amp in the general section forum
cool.gif
. Thank you, Mike and
jp11801!

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148571

Head-Fi_Tampa.jpg

Nov 24, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #95 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
Just wanted to let all the guys who went out with me and Xenia for her birthday know how much she enjoyed the company and she wants to know when the next meet is,seriously.She had so much fun that it looks like we might be coming up to the national meet for sure,so I'll let you know Aaron.Too many people to thank individually,but we had a blast and we can't wait to do it again.Gary.

Marry her. Now.

LOL

Nov 24, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #96 of 128
More listening impressions. Is anyone still reading this thread?

Eastsound CD-E5, Veda Audio Dynahi, L3000 (which stayed on my head from the previous table): Music was (again) "Thunder Road" and a couple of other tracks from Springsteen's 30th anniversary BTR remaster. There was major bass bloat at 10am on the dial. Sloppy as recorded, still sloppy as remastered. Oh well. Better, but still not good, at 9am on the dial. This amp has mega headroom! After getting over the disappointment with this stupid CD, I started to actually listen to the music again, and found that the Eastsound/ Dynahi combo did an excellent job at conveying a sense of space. Problem was that this really was lousy music to be using for an equipment audition. While normally the speed of attack from this very quick amp would have been a welcome thing, it had the tendency to just muddle everything up even worse. Again, this goes back to the recording, which is simply too congested with all of the overdubbing.

Flecon's ghetto rig! Oh, and I say that in the nicest possible way... Samsung HD841, Behringer DEQ 2496, homemade Dynahi, L3000, with loose wires sticking out here there and everywhere. But as others have said, it didn't sound too bad! There was a distinct buzz in the power supply, but Flecon said "No worries, I know about that..." and now that I wasn't fussing so much about the remastering job. "Thunder Road" started to sound good again. Still, it got pretty muddy at the 1:15 mark on the track.

Same system, now with the K1000's and "10th Avenue Freezeout" only because I couldn't figure out where the previous/next button was and didn't want to get my @ss fried on the 3rd guess! So I let the music play, and it was grooving! As John, who was standing nearby said, "The K1000's never disappoint." Indeed.

Cyrus, FEEL, R10 Ok, what can I learn in 15 seconds? Clear, clean, deep, controlled bass response. Hard to achieve with the R10's. Nice job at putting this combo together, Joe. Best of luck with your quest to find a pair of R10's to bring home to the Cyrus/FEEL combo!

John's iPod with Red Wine Audio mods, Veda Audio Dynahi SA, modded HF-1 with Headphile cable and woody job: Wonderful!!! Amazing that an iPod can produce this type of sound. The tune playing was a jazz ensemble with a trumpet, trombone, piano, upright bass, and maybe more, and I found that the separation of instruments was clean and hard to believe, coming from iPod lossless. But then when I handed over the headphones to mikeg, he wasn't impressed and found it to be quite lacking in terms of separation. Dunno? I guess Mike listens to this type of music more than I do.

In any case, it has me thinking about going this route (especially if I can get the Red Wine Audio mods done, and for $200, they seem well worth it). I've never had an iPod before, mostly because: 1) I'm technically challenged and anything that looks like it's for "young" folks scares me, and 2) more seriously, I've never heard any iPod sound so good as this one.

John, if you're out there, you really should provide a brief description of the mods that are done by Red Wine Audio and the sonic effects that it had in producing what is now a very clean and full musical reproduction. In other words, my opinions on such things don't really mean much because iPod listening is out of my realm of experience. It would be cool if you could give us the low down in terms of what your experience was with this same unit, before and after mods.

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #97 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
John's iPod with Red Wine Audio mods, Veda Audio Dynahi SA, modded HF-1 with Headphile cable and woody job: Wonderful!!! Amazing that an iPod can produce this type of sound. The tune playing was a jazz ensemble with a trumpet, trombone, piano, upright bass, and maybe more, and I found that the separation of instruments was clean and hard to believe, coming from iPod lossless. But then when I handed over the headphones to mikeg, he wasn't impressed and found it to be quite lacking in terms of separation. Dunno? I guess Mike listens to this type of music more than I do.

John, if you're out there, you really should provide a brief description of the mods that are done by Red Wine Audio and the sonic effects that it had in producing what is now a very clean and full musical reproduction. In other words, my opinions on such things don't really mean much because iPod listening is out of my realm of experience. It would be cool if you could give us the low down in terms of what your experience was with this same unit, before and after mods.

rather than have me err in the description here is a link that details the mod

http://redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

here are my thoughts in the imod thread in the portable section

"well it's been about 150 hours of burn in and all I can say is wow

the major improvements for me were

1) greatly improved bass in both quantity and quality bass guitar notes and kick drum now have added air and impact around them

2) treble is much improved the cymbals have more air and more precisely located in the headspace with my hf-1s

3) mids are also better with more vocal sounds (throat) present and they take on a greater dimensional quality

4) soundstaging also has improved

Vinny great mod sorry to hear the 5th gen is no go but as an audio device the greyscale 4th gen 40 gig is a great buy with everyone dropping them for the new look.

the only down side is you will want to get a great cable, only use wav or applelossless and male sure you have an amp that is up to the task

if you use any acc or mp3 rips you will hear it not that it's not listenable but you will want to hear the song better presented in lossless
here is a link to the thread"

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142788&page=1&pp=20

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #99 of 128
Thanks, John! That was quick, you lurker you!
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #100 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Cyrus, FEEL, R10 Ok, what can I learn in 15 seconds? Clear, clean, deep, controlled bass response. Hard to achieve with the R10's. Nice job at putting this combo together, Joe. Best of luck with your quest to find a pair of R10's to bring home to the Cyrus/FEEL combo!

Actually the cyrus belongs to Oz. Tyrion brought it down. I plan on saving up for a Sony SCD-1.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #101 of 128
Alrighty, then ... I think the thank you's, gear impressions, and other obligatory (and far more imprtant and valuable than these key bashings) posts are starting wane, so time to chime in with some memorable moments and quotes from the weekend.

1. Unfortunately, the most memorable quote and incident of the meet is unmentionable in the forums. It occurred while driving to Ybor City after the meet on Saturday night. In car 1 was Matt (NightWoundsTime, driving), Ray, Wayne (Wmcmanus), and Stevieo. In car 2, following, was me driving, Aaron (immtbiker), Gary (Guss2) and Gary's gf, Xenia. It was Ray's comment, and the power of it was such that Matt almost swerved into a retaining wall on the interstate. We in car 2 all thought some gaseous emission had ocurred, but later learned the truth, and applauded Matt for keeping control of the vehicle.

2. This quote, I can repeat, and will. Some background is in order, though. Prior to attending this Tampa meet, Wayne went to the NYC meet the weekend before. For The NY meet, and intervening week, he stayed with Aaron at Aaron's apartment in Queens. We all love having friends and family as company, and both Aaron and Wayne speak fondly of their time together, but 9 days is, well 9 days ... Ok, here's the line - it is Sunday morning, and Aaron, Gary, Xenia, and me are having breakfast at the hotel. Stevieo comes to join us, and we chat about what a great time everyone had, etc, etc. I ask if Ray and Wayne got off ok. Steve says, yes, but Wayne had a minor problem. What problem?, Aaron asked. Steve said Wayne's flight to the Cayman's was cancelled, and there wouldn't be another for 5 more days, but that Wayne was able to get a flight to LaGuardia leaving immediately, so that's what he did. Aaron was speechless for 30 seonds or so while processing all of this, then asked Steve to repeat it, which he did, adding that Wayne could just crash at Aaron's place again. By this time, Aaron saw through it, but Stevie had him for that all important moment.

Nov 27, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #103 of 128
When Stevieo told me that Wayne's plane was diverted, and he was headed to LaGuardia, the first emotion that came into my mind was terror. I love Wayne and his friendship, but at that point, I think that a sleeping bag, and a saucer of milk on my stoop was as far as I was willing to go, after the previous week's activities.
My neighborhood's supermarkets had depleted their brownie mix and chocolate ice cream reserves, and my toilet bowl needed reinforcement repairs, which had not been done yet. I believe that I ordered the "flying buttress" repair warranty plan.
My valium perscription had run low, and I thought it was weird that he kept asking me to pluck the little hairs off the middle of his back, and in areas that he hasn't seen for years.
Had he put on a french maid's outfit and cleaned up the apartment a little bit, I could have overlooked the deficiencies.

Nov 27, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #104 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Snip ...
Had he put on a french maid's outfit and cleaned up the apartment a little bit, I could have overlooked the deficiencies.

Now that's gonna be a tough one to get out of my head - will be a hard time falling asleep tonight for fear of that image creeping into my dreams.
eek.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #105 of 128
Haha, brilliant. Thanks for keeping Ray's comment a relative secret Gene. And my almost hitting a wall was because I was on a curve in the right lane, in a construction zone. Yeah I came close but I think I had a valid excuse
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back