Talk to me about the UM2 v. super.fi 5 pro... again
Jun 1, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #46 of 59
So for the last time, overall, which has a more balanced sound, the super.fi 5's or the UM2's? Which has a more enjoyable sound in general? And if the answer to the first two questions is the UM2, which tips are best for the UM2?

Thanks for your patience.

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So for the last time, overall, which has a more balanced sound, the super.fi 5's or the UM2's? Which has a more enjoyable sound in general? And if the answer to the first two questions is the UM2, which tips are best for the UM2?

Thanks for your patience.

IMO, and to MY ears:
1. More balanced sound...............UM2
2. More enjoyable sound..............what's enjoyable to you, may not be enjoyable to me, and vice versa. I enjoy them both, with the UM2 providing more details and the SF.5s providing more warmth.
3. I find the best tips for the UM2 to be the Ety tri-flanges.........best isolation and best seal for SQ.

Good luck, and enjoy whichever you decide.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #48 of 59
Okay, so I have really done some thinking as to what I really want to get. I considered all of my possibilities, from the SE310/530 to the ER4 and I am still pretty much set on the UM2's knowing that they provide incredible comfort and better sound quality than what I already have (super.fi 5's) that's within my price range. But I still get tripped up when I see random comments like this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E500 were great IEMs. The UM2s weren't. The latter just lacked the same refined sound.

Now maybe I am getting too worked up about this because I know that some people just flat out do not like the sound of certain cans. But then I have to ask myself if this guy really is off-base. Could I really be making a wrong decision in getting the UM2's? Is there something I am missing such that I am going to end up disappointed? Should I wait for something else to come along that has the same comfort and price range but better sound, or would I end up having to pay more anyway?

I appologize and hate to ask, but any thoughts on this? Also, thanks joe for your response to my last post, and any other comments about the UM2 and fit tips would be great.

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #49 of 59
Well the um2s' are extremely comfortable, but their sound signature is not what I would call neutral. Slightly upped bass and VERY forward mids. Good cans but not my favs. Some folks really like the um2 sound, others don't.

This is why I tend toward the more neutral sounding cans such as the se310. I find neutral cans far easier to eq to the sound sig I like. With the se310 it just so happens to be flat...
smily_headphones1.gif

Ply

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Danny is quite the drum beater.
etysmile.gif

But anyway, the se310 is NOTHING like the superfi. It fits totally in the ear, nothing protruding out. I sleep with them on all the time. Wish more people would try them, since they are so fresh to market. Most just assume it's a rebranded e4c. The sound signatures are quite different though...

Ply

How well does the sound of the se310 compare to the superfi? I want something that I can sleep in and can you actually lay on the side of your head with them on?

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo937 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well does the sound of the se310 compare to the superfi? I want something that I can sleep in and can you actually lay on the side of your head with them on?

Yes you can sleep in them. I posted a in ear pic in this thread.

Sound wise, no comparison. SE310 all the way...

Ply

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

But anyway, the se310 is NOTHING like the superfi.

Quote:

Well the um2s' are extremely comfortable, but their sound signature is not what I would call neutral. Slightly upped bass and VERY forward mids. Good cans but not my favs. Some folks really like the um2 sound, others don't.

This is why I tend toward the more neutral sounding cans such as the se310. I find neutral cans far easier to eq to the sound sig I like. With the se310 it just so happens to be flat...
smily_headphones1.gif

Ply

Alright, now this is a stretch, but knowing that I, for the most part, like the sound of the super.fi 5 pro, is there more of a chance or less of a chance that I will like the sound of the UM2?

Jun 3, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #53 of 59
Quote:

Alright, now this is a stretch, but knowing that I, for the most part, like the sound of the super.fi 5 pro, is there more of a chance or less of a chance that I will like the sound of the UM2?

I think there's more of a chance you'll like them, based on my experience a little over a year ago. When I attended the first National Head-Fi Meet in NYC back in 2006, I brought my favorite IEMs at the time, the Super.Fi.5 Pros, to compare with other IEMs available. I listened to the new (at the time) Shure E500 and was not impressed enough to purchase them. They just didn't have the "fun" factor that the SF.5s had. And the difference between the E500 and the other Shures I had (E2,E3,E4, and E5) wasn't enough (for my ears) to warrant that large a purchase.
Then I wandered over to the Westone table where I listened to the UM2. In less than 5 minutes my credit card was out and I ordered a pair. I still find them to be not only a great sounding IEM, but the most comfy and easy to insert.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there's more of a chance you'll like them, based on my experience a little over a year ago. When I attended the first National Head-Fi Meet in NYC back in 2006, I brought my favorite IEMs at the time, the Super.Fi.5 Pros, to compare with other IEMs available. I listened to the new (at the time) Shure E500 and was not impressed enough to purchase them. They just didn't have the "fun" factor that the SF.5s had. And the difference between the E500 and the other Shures I had (E2,E3,E4, and E5) wasn't enough (for my ears) to warrant that large a purchase.
Then I wandered over to the Westone table where I listened to the UM2. In less than 5 minutes my credit card was out and I ordered a pair. I still find them to be not only a great sounding IEM, but the most comfy and easy to insert.
biggrin.gif

Thanks, joe. From what you said and from everything I've researched about them, I've made my decision. I'm going to go with the UM2's. Now I just have to decide if i want clear or black
icon10.gif
(feel free to comment on looks, because this is kind of up in the air for me at the moment). By the way, would you (or anyone) recommend the new Shure foam tips for use with the UM2?

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Having owned the UM2 and the 5pro, I far preferred the UM2. But over both of them I would take the Shure SE310. Easily the best iem I have owned. Check out Tyll's thread on the SE line in the sponsor section...

Ply

hmm...I have the se310's and i am quite dissapointed in them..mainly due to the lack of bass and the small 'soundstage'....I'm thinking about getting the UM2's instead because of the extra bass....

is there a big diff in your opinion?

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Thanks, joe. From what you said and from everything I've researched about them, I've made my decision. I'm going to go with the UM2's. Now I just have to decide if i want clear or black
icon10.gif
(feel free to comment on looks, because this is kind of up in the air for me at the moment). By the way, would you (or anyone) recommend the new Shure foam tips for use with the UM2?

So...did you get the UM2's? If so...how do you like them? and how is the bass?

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #57 of 59
Quote:

Anyone have more input as far as the fit for the SE310?

I love the fit for the se310's...they barely stick out of my ear..and the seal created by my black foamie is amazing....i can't hear anything...my family gets pretty irritated..but oh well

I can even sleep in them lying on the side too...doesn't dig in

i just find the bass to be lacking

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #58 of 59
all i know is that the er6i have NO bass.... i used to think they did until i turned them up and one point and discovered a whole new world of un-noticed bass notes that i could not enjoy because the highs are too strong. this become especially bad if you have to use the dual flange tips because of big ear canals. i used to be able to get a seal with the tri flanges but cant anymore. even without the seal the triflanges give off more bass than the dual. the dual trully make them sound splashy and tilted towards the high end of the spectrum. grado and ety just aren't for me.... and this is when using a pa2v2!

i would suggest going with ANYTHING but the ety's.

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyecon82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...did you get the UM2's? If so...how do you like them? and how is the bass?

Yeah, I got the UM2's, but unfortunately I ended up sending them and getting the Shure E500 instead, which I love so much more. I just didn't like the sound signature of the UM2 and also found them to be sibilant (which I guess could be part of the sound signature).

BUT, just because I didn't like them doesn't automatically mean that you're not going to like them either (which I sure as hell hope you assume). It just means that my ear likes a different signature that I fortunately found in the E500. (Remember, the sound should always be matched for the individual person, not the other way around.) For you, the UM2 might be perfect. It definitely has the bass presence that you are seeking anyway, and obviously fit and comfort are top-notch. If you have any other specific questions about the UM2, I'd be happy to answer them, but if you're feeling confident enough about them, I say go for it.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back