Talk to me about the UM2 v. super.fi 5 pro... again
May 29, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM2s, using Tri-Flanges, provide the most isolation, are very comfy along with being super easy to insert. The cord is wonderful......pretty much non-tangling and no microphonics at all. The bass, to my ears, improves upon that provided by the E4, and the top end is more extended as well. But the midrange is not up to standards set by the Shure.

Yes, this is what I keep hearing, and while it is disappointing, it's not Earth-shattering to me as long as the mids aren't absolutely terrible. I also keep hearing that with other tips besides the Comply's (the tri- to bi-flanges and especially the PA910x's) the mids start to come alive more. Again, this just what I've stumbled upon in random threads.

I think you said something really well, and that is that I want to listen to the music, and not the equipment. As long as it's satisfying to my ears (maybe not someone else's) and an overall enjoyable experience (including the fit/comfort), that's what counts. And in the end, I think that's what I'm going to get from the UM2's over the super.fi 5's that I already have. However, I'm still open for other options, such as...

Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But over both of them I would take the Shure SE310. Easily the best iem I have owned.

Now this is news to me. I've known of the SE series since it came about, but I never heard anything ground-breaking about them other than that all of the models come with Shure's new foam tips, which to be honest I've heard more about than the earphones themselves. What initially turned me off about the SE series was that they force you to use an extender if you're not going to use any of the Shure in-line accessories, which I think for me could end up being a pain/distraction. But I'm willing to look at them without a bias.

What makes them better about the UM2's in terms of fit/comfort/sound?

May 29, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #17 of 59
Fit and comfort go to um2 which I consider thus far to be the king in those categories. But 310 is not bad at all in comfort. Sound wise, well, 310 is more neutral sounding, not lacking in any one area. It is the sound that really makes the 310 a winner.
The um2 I found a little too forward sounding in the mids and lacking a touch in the highs, but with nice punchy bass. 310 has the bass of the um2 with more detail, mids a more laid back, and highs are excellent and silky. For instance listening to 10,000 days(Wings part 2) from Tool the cymbals are mesmerizing.

Overall package belongs to the 310, but comfort is the um2s' strong point...

Ply

May 29, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Fit and comfort go to um2 which I consider thus far to be the king in those categories. But 310 is not bad at all in comfort.

This is fine, but keep in mind I already have the super.fi 5's which, from the looks it, have the same type of design/form factor of the 310. And the primary reason I am getting a new IEM is because of the fit. It's just very irritating to have to create the seal again every time I turn my head or open my mouth the wrong way. I am afraid that the 310 could give me this same exact problem.

Then again, maybe not. Maybe I'm completely wrong and the 310 could have just the fit I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near a place where I can try them out, and with a thicker, non-memory wire on the 310 along with the same general design of the super.fi 5's, the chances of them working for me better than the UM2's is slim. But I'll still consider them.

Anyone have more input as far as the fit for the SE310?

May 29, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #19 of 59
Quote:

For instance listening to 10,000 days(Wings part 2) from Tool the cymbals are mesmerizing.

u have good taste in music! i remember listening to that song the day i busted out my supermicro iv and found it burnt itself in overnight. the first reaction was HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. u don't spend all that $$$ so u can listen to just anything, but tool drummer danny carey is a good reason as any.

May 29, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this is news to me. I've known of the SE series since it came about, but I never heard anything ground-breaking about them other than that all of the models come with Shure's new foam tips, which to be honest I've heard more about than the earphones themselves. What initially turned me off about the SE series was that they force you to use an extender if you're not going to use any of the Shure in-line accessories, which I think for me could end up being a pain/distraction. But I'm willing to look at them without a bias.

What makes them better about the UM2's in terms of fit/comfort/sound?

the only reason i thought u were tossing up between um2's and sf5's were u wanted loads of bass.

May 29, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #21 of 59
This is completely random, but I just have a real quick question that could be a deciding factor for me. With respect to the rest of the spectrum, and in order from the most bass to the least, which phones have more bass?: super.fi 5, UM2, SE310 (compare whichever ones you have heard)

May 29, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #22 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only reason i thought u were tossing up between um2's and sf5's were u wanted loads of bass.

Oh, no no, I'm sorry if I worded that weird. I HAVE the super.fi 5's and I'm trying to see comparisons between them and the UM2 to see if the UM2 is what I'm looking for.

In fact I really don't want loads of bass. I still want the bass to be present, but nothing overpowering by any means. Basically, if it has any more bass than the super.fi 5's with respect to the rest of the spectrum, I'll probably pass.

May 29, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Oh, no no, I'm sorry if I worded that weird. I HAVE the super.fi 5's and I'm trying to see comparisons between them and the UM2 to see if the UM2 is what I'm looking for.

In fact I really don't want loads of bass. I still want the bass to be present, but nothing overpowering by any means. Basically, if it has any more bass than the super.fi 5's with respect to the rest of the spectrum, I'll probably pass.

autovote for er-4

May 29, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

autovote for er-4

I was honestly considering the ER-4 at one point, but then I heard about the lack of bass according to some, the comfort issues, and the microphonics, and I just realized that I would be listening more to the phones themselves instead of my music if I got them.

May 29, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #25 of 59
lemme just say imod+supermicro iv+er-4s is the most eargasmic thing u can fit in ur pocket. ppl who say er-4 is too analytical and bass lacking have setups that are weak sauce. er-4 is as comfortable as any, because they take comply tips. microphonics..loop it behind ur ear.

oh yea u can buy er-4 and supermicro iv for the same price as e500

May 29, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #26 of 59
Lol... I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm trying to stay under $300 if at all possible, and ampless if I can.

Thanks again though.

May 29, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #27 of 59
i second er4 since you already got a fun pair of iem in sf5 pro. if you looking for one pair and one pair only. then um2. um2 is pretty much in the middle. closer to er4 though.

May 29, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

Is the UM2 just more clear and balanced? Because the super.fi 5 really isn't horrible, but it could be better.

If you serious on clear and balanced sound, then these two may not be the best options for you. I have Super.Fi 5 Pro, and it is exactly as you mentioned. After I bought the E500 which was priced dropped after re-modeling, and it really sounds much better unless you are a bass head.

May 29, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

sf5s are not really horrible but yes they can be a whole lot better. they sound mid-fi but priced hi-fi, yet make sales because they deliver on one thing which appeal to people who don't care about high fidelity sound reproduction - bass.

are u sure that post wasn't talking about sf5? cuz sf5 is definitely the worse offender in the mids area (and the highs UGH!!!!!!!)

I think this is WAY off base. The SF5's deserve a better review than this. I care about high fidelity sound reproduction, and I like them. Maybe you have never heard them with a decent source and amp.

May 29, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #30 of 59
balance is difficult for me to quantify (or qualify) - I still like the UESuper.fi5Pro for their fit (just my ears, I guess...) and their cord is lighter than many others. I also like the Etys I have had and the one pair I still use, although the weight of the cable annoys me after getting used to the superthin cable of the UE. so when comparing them, you would have to know how much comfort (in-ear and other comfort) matters, and whether it's a matter of changing brand or just of changing accessories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back