Talk to me about the UM2 v. super.fi 5 pro... again
May 29, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #31 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i second er4 since you already got a fun pair of iem in sf5 pro. if you looking for one pair and one pair only. then um2. um2 is pretty much in the middle. closer to er4 though.

Again, I considered the ER4 for quite a while after reading all of the reviews raving about how accurate and clear they are. But I really don't think I need that. I don't need to be able to hear every single solitary detail in my music, especially since my mp3 (well, aac) collection isn't of the highest quality to begin with. I am aware that the ER4 would give me better sound quality, but I really have to question my motives here.

The reason I want to get another IEM is because my super.fi 5's don't fit very well. It's really not the sound quality. It's the fit. And so, if I went with the ER4, is there a possibility I will have fit issues with them as well? Absolutely. Is it just as likely that I will have the same fit issues with the UM2? Absolutely not, and I'm still going to have decent quality sound. That's the way I'm looking at it, unless I'm completely off-base here.

May 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you serious on clear and balanced sound, then these two may not be the best options for you. I have Super.Fi 5 Pro, and it is exactly as you mentioned. After I bought the E500 which was priced dropped after re-modeling, and it really sounds much better unless you are a bass head.

I'd really, really like to go with the E500 (and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying that either) but the price is just so steep. It really is. I'm trying to stay under $300 and the lowest I can find them for is well over $400... Maybe if the price came down, or I knew the price was going to come down, but that's just too much.

May 29, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so when comparing them, you would have to know how much comfort (in-ear and other comfort) matters, and whether it's a matter of changing brand or just of changing accessories.

About accessories in terms of tips, I think it's worth mentioning that once you're with UE, you're kinda stuck with their tips unless you come up with your own mod or something. With Shure, Westone, and Etymotic, you're a lot less limited to what you have to use. I kinda want to "get in that loop."

May 29, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u have good taste in music! i remember listening to that song the day i busted out my supermicro iv and found it burnt itself in overnight. the first reaction was HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. u don't spend all that $$$ so u can listen to just anything, but tool drummer danny carey is a good reason as any.

Yeah Danny is quite the drum beater.
etysmile.gif

But anyway, the se310 is NOTHING like the superfi. It fits totally in the ear, nothing protruding out. I sleep with them on all the time. Wish more people would try them, since they are so fresh to market. Most just assume it's a rebranded e4c. The sound signatures are quite different though...

Ply

May 29, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But anyway, the se310 is NOTHING like the superfi. It fits totally in the ear, nothing protruding out. I sleep with them on all the time.

That's actually quite interesting. From photos I've seen of the 310, it looks to me like it is the longest model in the SE series. It's hard to believe that it doesn't come out of the ear at all.

May 29, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's actually quite interesting. From photos I've seen of the 310, it looks to me like it is the longest model in the SE series. It's hard to believe that it doesn't come out of the ear at all.

If you want I could post a pic of them in my ear...

Ply

May 29, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

If you want I could post a pic of them in my ear...

That would be helpful if it's not too much trouble.

May 30, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #40 of 59
Thanks so much, that helps a lot.. Wow, they really don't hardly stick out at all.

So how is the wire on the 310? It looks quite comfortable.

May 30, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #41 of 59
The wire is quite comfortable. Not for sure how durable it is though. I have had these for month and a half and wear them constantly at work and at home. I'm a carpenter and biker so I sweat alot in hot weather. The cord has stiffened somewhat on me where it loops around the ear, but no ill effects so far.

Have read a thread on a guy with the e500 and the cord becoming brittle and cracking. But Shure gave him a immediate replacement. Shure's customer service is second to none...

Ply

May 30, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is WAY off base. The SF5's deserve a better review than this. I care about high fidelity sound reproduction, and I like them. Maybe you have never heard them with a decent source and amp.

maybe i was a bit harsh on them, but i've heard it amped, and this is my take. they fail at resolving. so they fail at resolving bad sources and also fail at resolving good sources. so unamped, they sound decent. amped, i can't get over what i'm not hearing. for that reason, i don't call them hi fi

and i ended up being harsh on them again. try as i might, i can't find a good thing to say about them. but u know, clearly a lot of people disagree, so i hope this less than deserved review doesn't upset anyone

May 30, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Not for sure how durable it is though. I have had these for month and a half and wear them constantly at work and at home. I'm a carpenter and biker so I sweat alot in hot weather. The cord has stiffened somewhat on me where it loops around the ear, but no ill effects so far.

Thanks for your input.. I'm sure most IEM wires are subject to stiffening over time and abuse though, so I'm not too worried about that, but at least they are comfortable.

May 30, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #44 of 59
If it isn't too much trouble for anyone else, could someone who has the UM2 take a picture of it in their ear? I've seen the UM1 several times, but I can't seem to find any pictures of the UM2. (If you know where some pictures are, links would be great.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back