Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 25, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #2,657 of 4,538
Should I even get the CM MH752/751's after reading posts about not bothering buying the pro 82's without proper dac/amp setup?
Would it still be an upgrade to aurvana lives/marshall studio/mid anc's? @BenF
Pro 82 will sound better than MH751 out of a any laptop/phone.
How much of an upgrade over lesser headphones Pro 82 will be - depends on the quality of the laptop/phone output.
As long as you don't expect TOTL sound without investing in DAC/amp - you will probably be happy with the results.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #2,658 of 4,538
Should I even get the CM MH752/751's after reading posts about not bothering buying the pro 82's without proper dac/amp setup?
Would it still be an upgrade to aurvana lives/marshall studio/mid anc's? @BenF

Ive owned both Pro 82 and CAL (and still own CAL), its not really that big of a difference as some people claim. Unless someone is wearing rose colored Takstar-sunglasses CAL is just as good or maybe even better headphone than Takstars (and imo it is).

May 26, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #2,659 of 4,538
Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #2,663 of 4,538
May 27, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #2,664 of 4,538
Can anyone see the reason why GM200 sounds better than MH751?
upload_2019-5-27_15-3-58.png

May 28, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #2,669 of 4,538
Uh...hi, lol. I think my last post was over a month ago? That's because of life, repairing (and then liquid-cooling) my PC, and then discovering that I have to review and scrap a chunk out of the sixteen pages' worth of notes for a review! Was everything I knew about the original MH752 was a lie? Earlier this month I bought another MH752 because...I don't remember what I was thinking when I bought them. Maybe I was drunk. BUT! It turned out that there was something weird going on. I opened up the spare 752 and then - wait, What is this...why is there less bass and more midrange? So I opened them up and found nothing different except...

IMG_5704.JPG

Well no one needed anymore proof that they were Takstar Pro 82 but nothing like having part of the Takstar logo label behind the driver. So that's the new one but here's a photo of the old one that I wrecked and then tore down...

IMG_4889.JPG

You'll see a foam ring around the baffle. I did a random test late in April too to see if adding more foam to that ring on the baffle would change the sound and it did - for the worse. Adding more room for the drivers to play around in adds more bass and decreases the midrange In fact, I even managed to test listening to the drivers without the back cups. Um...don't do that; your ears will regret it.

Okay back to the old 752 vs. the new 752....

I put back the stock pads onto both headsets and confirmed that the old one had way too much bass and the midrange was lost somewhere, while the new one sounded closer to the V2 Pro 82 that I had (also with stock pads) with just a bit more bass. So the reason for the extra bass on the Cooler Master headsets is the size of the cups! ***That also explains why Takstar's own Pro82 "Gaming" version may sound better than the MH751/2.*** Can't believe it took me that long to figure that out. Unfortunately in my case, there was another reason why I had so much bass.

IMG_4893-A.jpg

I know this is a bad photo for this but it's the only one I have right now. See that white tissue on the right (and left) and the plastic tabs attached to the driver's baffle? Evidently these are used to let a small amount of air through the cups out the holes where the yokes go. And while not photographed here, I wrecked that plastic (in the blue box on the left) so I could fit that speaker wire inside but I didn't realize that by breaking off that plastic, now the headset had too much ventilation and caused the weird V-shaping of the sound curve. Oops.

And as if you wanted more, I haven't even covered the new pads, and comparisons to the Meze 99 Classics which I borrowed from a...friend and even the Sendy Avia. But I think that's another post.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #2,670 of 4,538
Okay back to the old 752 vs. the new 752....

I put back the stock pads onto both headsets and confirmed that the old one had way too much bass and the midrange was lost somewhere, while the new one sounded closer to the V2 Pro 82 that I had (also with stock pads) with just a bit more bass. So the reason for the extra bass on the Cooler Master headsets is the size of the cups! ***That also explains why Takstar's own Pro82 "Gaming" version may sound better than the MH751/2.*** Can't believe it took me that long to figure that out. Unfortunately in my case, there was another reason why I had so much bass.

I know this is a bad photo for this but it's the only one I have right now. See that white tissue on the right (and left) and the plastic tabs attached to the driver's baffle? Evidently these are used to let a small amount of air through the cups out the holes where the yokes go. And while not photographed here, I wrecked that plastic (in the blue box on the left) so I could fit that speaker wire inside but I didn't realize that by breaking off that plastic, now the headset had too much ventilation and caused the weird V-shaping of the sound curve. Oops.
So the reason for the different sound between the old and new MH752 was physical damage?
The new one sure seems to be identical sounding to MH751 - I will publish the measurements of MH751 later today.
I know that you have MiniDSP EARS too - would be interesting to see your measurements of Pro 82 v1 and new MH752.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back