Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 7, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #136 of 4,538
Any ideas on how the Pro 82 would perform when it comes to mixing? Too colored? I use the ATH-M50's for that purpose and they do alright.
Pro 82 is not colored at all, its clarity isn't too far from electrostats.
The question is - whatever you mix, do you want it to sound good on a high quality system, or on free earbuds that come with phones?
If the latter, Pro 82 isn't going to help you with mixing.

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #139 of 4,538
Ah OK, thanks BenF. I just ordered some Pro 82's last night so they should be here in a couple weeks, I'll probably post impressions here once I get them
Did you pay for Fedex/DHL? E-packet can take 2-4 weeks.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #140 of 4,538
Hello, BenF. How do you think, will Fiio E10K be a nice DAC/Amp for Pro 82?
Power-wise, E10K will be powerful enough to get Pro 82 very loud.
Can't comment on the sound, since I don't have E10K - but it has very good components, so you should get most out of Pro 82.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #141 of 4,538
Pro 82 is not colored at all, its clarity isn't too far from electrostats.
The question is - whatever you mix, do you want it to sound good on a high quality system, or on free earbuds that come with phones?
If the latter, Pro 82 isn't going to help you with mixing.

I actually do a lot of sample based stuff. A lot of it can be deemed lo-fi, and dirtying things on purpose. It's more a matter of having things around that translate well in general, cause even though I go for the exact opposite of hi-fi, I still want things coming across as intended. I just want something affordable as another reference for when I'm working on things late at night and can't have the speakers on.

Also if anyone buys these for the purpose of music making/mixing etc. Please hit me up and let me know how they work out for you!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #143 of 4,538
I actually do a lot of sample based stuff. A lot of it can be deemed lo-fi, and dirtying things on purpose. It's more a matter of having things around that translate well in general, cause even though I go for the exact opposite of hi-fi, I still want things coming across as intended. I just want something affordable as another reference for when I'm working on things late at night and can't have the speakers on.

Also if anyone buys these for the purpose of music making/mixing etc. Please hit me up and let me know how they work out for you!

If you want a headphone that will represent a higher quality equipment, so you can make sure your music will sound good on both - Pro 82 will work just fine.
Its clarity and accuracy are astounding.

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #145 of 4,538
Ordered from this eBay seller, (with a $15 discount) it doesn't say the shipping method though. Just estimated delivery June 14th-30th. Will update when I get them

It's likely HK Post or China Post.
With the 15$ discount you got the best deal for Pro 82 right now. Too bad Ebay doesn't run these promotions too often...
Hopefully there will be other sellers on Ebay with Pro 82 - without the discount, 80$ is too expensive for Pro 82 without the case and with standard shipping.
On AliExpress for the same price you can get Pro 82 with the case and e-Packet.

Jun 8, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #146 of 4,538
has anybody other than BenF heard these Takstar Pro82's?

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #147 of 4,538
Received mine today, and I plugged it into my FiiO E10K to try out.

After trying out stockpads, I changed them to the brainwaz hm5 angled pads. This is an absolute must in my opinion for both comfort and improvement in SQ (to me at least). Slight increase in sound stage and it really helps the bass extend low past 40 hz.

Bass reaches far but lack quantity, which I sort of suspected as BenF noted they are fairly balanced. I run them with the bassboost on (via FiiO E10K) and also boost 5 db at 40 hz Q0.8 and preamp down -5db. Bass is tight and improves the reverb/slam quality without over bloating.
Mids are very slightly recessed but very present. Reminds me of DT770 PRO 80ohm
Treble - Initial listen the treble is a bit hot for my taste and sounds sibiliant with certain songs. Gonna need some more seat time before I draw any conclusions.

In total, after a few hours of listen, I'd put them in the category that would compete against the ATH-50X and the DT 770 pro 80ohm. With all the ports open, the signature changes too much where it veils around the 3 khz to around 6 khz. I find that leaving one port open and EQ'ing the rest keeps it neat and tidy sonically without sacrificing clarity. Will follow up later with at least a week of usage.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #148 of 4,538
Received mine today, and I plugged it into my FiiO E10K to try out.

After trying out stockpads, I changed them to the brainwaz hm5 angled pads. This is an absolute must in my opinion for both comfort and improvement in SQ (to me at least). Slight increase in sound stage and it really helps the bass extend low past 40 hz.

Bass reaches far but lack quantity, which I sort of suspected as BenF noted they are fairly balanced. I run them with the bassboost on (via FiiO E10K) and also boost 5 db at 40 hz Q0.8 and preamp down -5db. Bass is tight and improves the reverb/slam quality without over bloating.
Mids are very slightly recessed but very present. Reminds me of DT770 PRO 80ohm
Treble - Initial listen the treble is a bit hot for my taste and sounds sibiliant with certain songs. Gonna need some more seat time before I draw any conclusions.

In total, after a few hours of listen, I'd put them in the category that would compete against the ATH-50X and the DT 770 pro 80ohm. With all the ports open, the signature changes too much where it veils around the 3 khz to around 6 khz. I find that leaving one port open and EQ'ing the rest keeps it neat and tidy sonically without sacrificing clarity. Will follow up later with at least a week of usage.

Thank you for the impressions!
Are you listening with FIIO's bass boost (4-5dB boost), 5dB EQ bass boost and one bass port open(3dB boost)?
You must be the king of bassheads! :jecklinsmile:

I don't think Pro 82 is a good choice for such extreme bassheads though - elevating the bass so much hurts the rest of the frequencies too much, even treble.
Opening ports doesn't just boost bass compared to the rest of FR - it also makes the other frequencies less controlled - that's why the treble may now appear "hot".
I am surprised that you still like Pro 82.

Can you do me a favor?
Put back the original pads, close the bass ports, don't EQ anything - just leave the FIIO's bass boost on.
Listen like this for a couple of days - do not adjust anything!
Then implement your changes again - you might recognize enough deficiencies in the sound now to not like the modifications anymore.

With the default pads and closed bass ports, I hear/feel 15-20Hz with no problem at all - maybe you need the extra boost because of the HM5 pads and open bass ports.

Anyway, it's super useful to have impressions of a proper basshead - I will add a link to your impressions in one of the reserved posts on top.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #149 of 4,538
Thank you for the impressions!
Are you listening with FIIO's bass boost (4-5dB boost), 5dB EQ bass boost and one bass port open(3dB boost)?
You must be the king of bassheads! :jecklinsmile:

I don't think Pro 82 is a good choice for such extreme bassheads though - elevating the bass so much hurts the rest of the frequencies too much, even treble.
Opening ports doesn't just boost bass compared to the rest of FR - it also makes the other frequencies less controlled - that's why the treble may now appear "hot".
I am surprised that you still like Pro 82.

Can you do me a favor?
Put back the original pads, close the bass ports, don't EQ anything - just leave the FIIO's bass boost on.
Listen like this for a couple of days - do not adjust anything!
Then implement your changes again - you might recognize enough deficiencies in the sound now to not like the modifications anymore.

With the default pads and closed bass ports, I hear/feel 15-20Hz with no problem at all - maybe you need the extra boost because of the HM5 pads and open bass ports.

Anyway, it's super useful to have impressions of a proper basshead - I will add a link to your impressions in one of the reserved posts on top.

I will definitely do that and report back in weeks time as well. I brought them to work and listening to them through the E10K still but with no EQ this time, just with bassboost on (I will try the stock pads out again when I get home, but they just feel very cheap..). I'm not a terribly big proponent of break in periods but I do think my ears are adjusting to the sound a bit already. Listening to Yosi Horikawa's track "Letter", I now see what you mean when comparing this directly to the CAL!. The CAL!'s sound like a very good sub 100 dollar headphone that is very capable if you like the natural-esque sound signature from the bio cellulose drivers. But the Pro 82's just blow it out of the water in terms of detailing and imaging. They sound more like sub 200 dollar headphones, and I'd bet it'd give sub 300 dollar headphones a run for their money as well. And this is all the while maintaining solid bass performance, where the CAL! falls short.

Overall very pleased with these phones, they are not extreme basshead level, but they are just a blast to listen to for the amount of detail and accurate/dynamic center image. Did I also mention how efficienet these are as well? I'm not even passed the 1 marker on my volume knob for my FiiO E10K while on low gain ... The sensitivity is that of the IEM's I own, so for all you mobile users out there, these will be perfect for on the go!

I can confirm that BenF's review is pretty spot on with how I felt about them (even when coming from my basshead point of view). These wont be replacing any of my current headphones but a very welcoming addition as such.

EDIT:

Also, with all that said, I want to reiterate that I still hear some silbilance, but only with certain songs/genres. Im also hearing some distortion somewhere listening to orchestral music like Hans Zimmer - Time that I can't pinpoint. These are the only real issues I have besides the below average build quality (which I expected) and cheap pads. Again, very minute issues subjectively for an otherwise solid headphone!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #150 of 4,538
Now that HM5/CD-990/XPT100 got 10 votes, it will be the next comparison.
Only 4 days are left to vote, and at least one comparison is coming after HM5/CD-990/XPT100 - currently B&O H6 and ISK HD9999 are tied at 7.
upload_2017-6-10_2-11-10.png

People keep voting for B8, even though the comparison was already done :jecklinsmile:
Maybe they don't see the links in the second post, so here they are:
Comparison with CAL!
Comparison with Bosshifi B8
Comparison with ISK HP2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back