Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Sep 25, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,171 of 1,250
Can you please post some photos how your cans look after taping the Monoprice sheepskin pads? So I get an idea before I order the pads? Thanks
Sorry, I have been busy. Black PVC tape may look better. You don't see those air pockets.

IMG_20210925_192724071_HDR.jpg

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,172 of 1,250
No problem, thanks a lot, I get the idea. Don't care about the looks if it works. Those pads look huge. I also saw some new ones with gel that fit. Will send the AliExpress link soon.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,173 of 1,250
No problem, thanks a lot, I get the idea. Don't care about the looks if it works. Those pads look huge. I also saw some new ones with gel that fit. Will send the AliExpress link soon.
Yup big pads. Very good comfort. This is quite heavy headphone. This cushion is rectangle on the inside. Driver is also rectangle or kind of'ish oval on the edges but I don't think that will count.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #1,174 of 1,250
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,175 of 1,250
Well... after 2 years of using the 'big' Monoprice sheepskin pads, (I think I was the 1st here), I do use the original black earpads again.

My conclusions:
1. Less warm, weight
2. More direct sound, less 'muffled' soundstage
3. Better details on the clear heigh freqs
4. Soundstage is more 'in front'
5. chickenskin again yesterday evening. (that's what it is all about)
6. Still my best planar ever!
7. Push with Fiio K5 => Little Dot MKII

I do compare this one with my reference headset: Stax L300 + Energizer with (Monoprice sheepskin pads)

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,176 of 1,250
:beyersmile:
Well... after 2 years of using the 'big' Monoprice sheepskin pads, (I think I was the 1st here), I do use the original black earpads again.

My conclusions:
1. Less warm, weight

I do compare this one with my reference headset: Stax L300 + Energizer with (Monoprice sheepskin pads)
Did you try the Aiva pads yet? My favourites. Maybe better sound balance than the original black pads but at least not less good. A little loose on the headphones because they are a bit bigger. And more comfortable, asymmetric and not so sticky to the skin. Less sweat if you listen for a long time as I do. I'm hooked and I like it. I will order these anyway along with a second Takstar just for experiments and as a backup:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000279980956.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.742f3c00ox5ZKN&mp=1

I guess the 95 mm version will fit the best and I will try the Monoprice ones, too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000322381714.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.742f3c00ox5ZKN&mp=1

And a third set which looks promising with a gel layer. They seem to fit the Takstar quite well:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001982282089.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.742f3c00ox5ZKN&mp=1

Good luck! I'm not looking for better cans than these. In Berlin I listened to the most expensive Stax Omega set and I like the Tak better with the E1DA 9038D dongle. Go figure ...

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #1,177 of 1,250
Even just around the driver, then maybe seek to dampen the back ever so slightly.I'm

My conclusions:
1. Less warm, weight

No.. I did not try the aiva e-pads. The reason I tried the Monoprice fat big huge earpad is because I fell in love on the Audeze LCD-XC a few years ago. So I thought:

"Oh.. when I put big fat huge earpads on my Takstar Planars... etc etc..."

So, no way!

The main Q is:

Did someone compare the Takstar with Audeze LCD-X?
1. Orignal earpads
2. Without damping
3. On Little Dot MK2 OTL tube amp

Takstar is getting liquid on the Little Dot MK2 heaphone amp.... if you have the 580... get the Little Dot MK2 also! They love eachother on the high gain settings of the LD-MK2! <3

But.. how does the Takstar 580 compare to the Audeze LCD-XC (or open)?

Sep 30, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,178 of 1,250
No.. I did not try the aiva e-pads. The reason I tried the Monoprice fat big huge earpad is because I fell in love on the Audeze LCD-XC a few years ago. So I thought:

"Oh.. when I put big fat huge earpads on my Takstar Planars... etc etc..."

So, no way!

The main Q is:

Did someone compare the Takstar with Audeze LCD-X?
1. Orignal earpads
2. Without damping
3. On Little Dot MK2 OTL tube amp

Takstar is getting liquid on the Little Dot MK2 heaphone amp.... if you have the 580... get the Little Dot MK2 also! They love eachother on the high gain settings of the LD-MK2! <3

But.. how does the Takstar 580 compare to the Audeze LCD-XC (or open)?
I saw you also have the B4. Just got a recommendation from Ali to get it. Is it any good? They make a dual mono version now:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002091373570.html

How about the output compared to the E1DA 9038? Is it more than "enough" with the Takstar planars? Thank you.

BTW the E1DA is really loud and squeaky clean with the volume setting of 78 (scale 0 to 100). Its small size still amazes me. It gets a little hot sometimes but not enough to burn yourself. Quite normal with class A amps.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #1,179 of 1,250
I saw you also have the B4. Just got a recommendation from Ali to get it. Is it any good? They make a dual mono version now:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002091373570.html

How about the output compared to the E1DA 9038? Is it more than "enough" with the Takstar planars? Thank you.

BTW the E1DA is really loud and squeaky clean with the volume setting of 78 (scale 0 to 100). Its small size still amazes me. It gets a little hot sometimes but not enough to burn yourself. Quite normal with class A amps.
1. The Little Bear B4 is nice to play around with! It does have some potmeters inside where you can adjust the gain and voltage on the tubes! It's like a pocket guitar amp! So you can make it very smooth and clean.. but also a bit more 'dirty' like the best tube-amp of guitarplayers use. I do play guitar also, and like clean Fender tones a lot. And yeah... John Mayer his sound is amazing!

2. You can upgrade the opamp in this amp also. I did not do it, but I've read that some people did it to may it amazing amp! And... it's warm in the pocket... real tube sound!

3. So... give it a go with the B4 and play around with it!

4. Let me know if you've got it. I did write a paper on how to adjust the gain and voltage on the tubes.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,180 of 1,250

My conclusions:
1. Less warm, weight

Well... I did change my earpads again. Now not with the Sheepskin, because it feels cold. But yeah...

the 'humph' in the low end is just like on the Audeze LCDX'ses. So the low end is much deeper now. It's strange how amazing improvement can be done with just simple / cheap earpads. Why does Takstar not include the bigger earpads on these amazing planars?

Or is it a psycho-acoustic-effect?

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,181 of 1,250
1. The Little Bear B4 is nice to play around with! It does have some potmeters inside where you can adjust the gain and voltage on the tubes! It's like a pocket guitar amp! So you can make it very smooth and clean.. but also a bit more 'dirty' like the best tube-amp of guitarplayers use. I do play guitar also, and like clean Fender tones a lot. And yeah... John Mayer his sound is amazing!

2. You can upgrade the opamp in this amp also. I did not do it, but I've read that some people did it to may it amazing amp! And... it's warm in the pocket... real tube sound!

3. So... give it a go with the B4 and play around with it!

4. Let me know if you've got it. I did write a paper on how to adjust the gain and voltage on the tubes.
You didn't tell me if it got enough juice to power the Takstar HF580 to loud levels. Problem 2 is I'd need an extra DAC to drive it. Don't know about the DAC in my Xiaomi Redmi 8 Pro phone. Soon I'll get the 10 Pro but I guess you can't get a better one than the E1DA one. But yeah, the price isn't prohibitive ...

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #1,182 of 1,250
Well... I did change my earpads again. Now not with the Sheepskin, because it feels cold. But yeah...

the 'humph' in the low end is just like on the Audeze LCDX'ses. So the low end is much deeper now. It's strange how amazing improvement can be done with just simple / cheap earpads. Why does Takstar not include the bigger earpads on these amazing planars?

Or is it a psycho-acoustic-effect?
Sorry, but which pads are you talking about now?

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,183 of 1,250
Sorry, but which pads are you talking about now?
Got a new pair of pads today from Ali. Perhaps worth a try.

Attachments

• 1634212049134.jpg
    1634212049134.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,184 of 1,250
Got a new pair of pads today from Ali. Perhaps worth a try.
I've been comparing the iNeed Kit pads with the Aiva and found both excellent. The iNeed are more comfortable when you wear glasses and have a little more impact in the deep bass. When listening more than 90 minutes maybe you could get a case of warm ears.

You can wear the Aivas longer without glasses. Still undecided which one I like the best but it's OK to have two pairs of the same great cans with different pads. Here is the address of the iNeed Kit pads:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001982282089.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.362e4c4dQEDLRg

But lately I found transport can be erratical with the Covid crisis. Been waiting for my new phone longer than before.

If you have any suggestions about other good pads you're welcome. I'll skip on the Monoprice sheepskin pads for now.

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #1,185 of 1,250
I've been comparing the iNeed Kit pads with the Aiva and found both excellent. The iNeed are more comfortable when you wear glasses and have a little more impact in the deep bass. When listening more than 90 minutes maybe you could get a case of warm ears.

You can wear the Aivas longer without glasses. Still undecided which one I like the best but it's OK to have two pairs of the same great cans with different pads. Here is the address of the iNeed Kit pads:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001982282089.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.362e4c4dQEDLRg

But lately I found transport can be erratical with the Covid crisis. Been waiting for my new phone longer than before.

If you have any suggestions about other good pads you're welcome. I'll skip on the Monoprice sheepskin pads for now.

What's the difference with the iNeedKit vs. Aiva on the midrange and treble?

Oh, and does the former fit perfectly or I need to tape it? TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back