Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Dec 22, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,111 of 1,250
I am aware of the effect of the pinnae and following Rtings method for measuring soundstage, the larger the soundstage (rtings definition) the lower a pinnae-less FR measurement would be in the treble versus a real dummy head.
Their ear vs no ear plots are a great help to try and bridge the gap between my FR's and the actual response.

I see that on your setup you sandwich the "ear" between two sheets of silicone, I might bite the bullet and get one of those ears (I recognize the model) of aliexpress if I can't fasten the one I already bought
IMG_20201222_201302_5.jpg

My plan was to glue this ear to the wood but gluing silicone turned out to be quite the pain.

Edit:
Do you have another setup for the right ear?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #1,112 of 1,250
Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,113 of 1,250

I had a one sided model in a earlier build, but a headphone I have didn't have rotatable cups so I had to make this improved version. Besides, half the fun with these setups is the ability to make binural recordings.
I have ofcourse made a vitual barbershop of my own.

Thought of a method to jam my small electret mics inside my ears (silicone ones) so might have a v3 of this setup at some point.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #1,114 of 1,250
I got them because I was looking for a mid-centric headphone and I has always wanted a planar.
And judging by that graph, looks like you really got one :fearful:

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,116 of 1,250
Been working on a version 3 of my measurement setup, now with pinnae alongside 17 unique herbs and spices.
I am not fully satisfied with the method that I used to get the correction curve (Basically EQ:ing my Sennheiser hd280 pro yield the same graph on my measurement head as Rtings got), but I would say that it is pretty good so far.
hf580pasd.png

This is a comparison between the original pleather pads and the sheepskins and I would say that this correspond well with my subjective observations.
The original pleather pads do have a better midrange timbre and quality than the sheepskins but struggle in the treble a bit, sibilants are a bit off.
The sheepskins as can be seen has a quite smooth treble by comparison (reminds me of audeze planars).
What can't be seen is the difference in soundstage, sheepskins are superior.

Bass difference is an artefact of the thick-ass earlobes of my silicone ears.

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #1,117 of 1,250
Been working on a version 3 of my measurement setup, now with pinnae alongside 17 unique herbs and spices.
I am not fully satisfied with the method that I used to get the correction curve (Basically EQ:ing my Sennheiser hd280 pro yield the same graph on my measurement head as Rtings got), but I would say that it is pretty good so far.
hf580pasd.png
This is a comparison between the original pleather pads and the sheepskins and I would say that this correspond well with my subjective observations.
The original pleather pads do have a better midrange timbre and quality than the sheepskins but struggle in the treble a bit, sibilants are a bit off.
The sheepskins as can be seen has a quite smooth treble by comparison (reminds me of audeze planars).
What can't be seen is the difference in soundstage, sheepskins are superior.

Bass difference is an artefact of the thick-ass earlobes of my silicone ears.
The soundstage elements can be seen, somewhat: sub bass is flatter and lowered, upper mids are lowered and smoothed, and it's going from a spike at 10kHz to a notch.

While that's nice, the behaviour at 500-900 Hz that's seen a lot for this driver is completely untouched, which has historically been described as a weird resonance issue. That may be resolved by lining the space around the driver in the enclosure with memory foam.

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #1,118 of 1,250
The soundstage elements can be seen, somewhat: sub bass is flatter and lowered, upper mids are lowered and smoothed, and it's going from a spike at 10kHz to a notch.

While that's nice, the behaviour at 500-900 Hz that's seen a lot for this driver is completely untouched, which has historically been described as a weird resonance issue. That may be resolved by lining the space around the driver in the enclosure with memory foam.

What parts of the graph do you mean correspond to soundstage? The only test I know of is that test rtings do with and without the silicone ear.

The 700hz resonance I would believe is a structural resonance since it is so sharp, the only method I have seen in this thread to fix it was that dude who built a whole new enclosure.
The only time I have been bothered by it though was when I heard like a high pitched child sing.

The bass difference is not really there, the earlobe of my silicone ear is more than half a centimeter thick, causing seal issues.
If the seal is bad in these there is some kind of helmholtz resonance in low frequencies causing the boost.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #1,119 of 1,250
What parts of the graph do you mean correspond to soundstage? The only test I know of is that test rtings do with and without the silicone ear.

The 700hz resonance I would believe is a structural resonance since it is so sharp, the only method I have seen in this thread to fix it was that dude who built a whole new enclosure.
The only time I have been bothered by it though was when I heard like a high pitched child sing.

The bass difference is not really there, the earlobe of my silicone ear is more than half a centimeter thick, causing seal issues.
If the seal is bad in these there is some kind of helmholtz resonance in low frequencies causing the boost.
That's definitely the most effective, but the Aiva v2 pads and enclosure padding are others, though I suspect you'll lose a chunk the soundstage you've gained with the sheepskin pads.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,120 of 1,250
It's been a while since I got these. Initially I did not like them much. I found their sound signature less vibrant than the average on my other cheap dynamic headphones back then. But boy, oh boy, as time has passed, these have become my favorite, especially after equalizing them a little. In fact, these are my only headphones for desktop use right now.

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,121 of 1,250

is it 700HZ resonance? I've heard also sometimes quite a 'hard' resonance... how to get rid of it... cloth at the back, inside the cups?

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,122 of 1,250
is it 700HZ resonance? I've heard also sometimes quite a 'hard' resonance... how to get rid of it... cloth at the back, inside the cups?
Yes, dampen inside. Create a wall around driver plastic frame, thickness of 3mm and then close partially the back mesh. That how I did the job.

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,123 of 1,250
Yes, dampen inside. Create a wall around driver plastic frame, thickness of 3mm and then close partially the back mesh. That how I did the job.
aha.. thanks!

the steps:
  1. So open the enclosure.
  2. Pull the driver from the enclosure
  3. Put the isolation material on the inside at the back of the driver, around the inside of the enclosure
  4. Put the driver back in
  5. Fix the driver
  6. Play it on!

Am I right?

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #1,124 of 1,250
aha.. thanks!

the steps:
  1. So open the enclosure.
  2. Pull the driver from the enclosure
  3. Put the isolation material on the inside at the back of the driver, around the inside of the enclosure
  4. Put the driver back in
  5. Fix the driver
  6. Play it on!

Am I right?
Even just around the driver, then maybe seek to dampen the back ever so slightly.

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #1,125 of 1,250
Even just around the driver, then maybe seek to dampen the back ever so slightly.
did someone make a photo to show the idea? I'm thinking about to 'solve' the 700hz resonance... but yeah.. I want to keep my delicious Takstar alive... don't want to break it. I did it a few years ago with my hifiman.... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back