Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Apr 13, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #961 of 1,250
You sir find all good cheap pad at the aliexpress

I have those, first pads I tried swapping. Got the pads from the same OEM on amazon for like 10 bucks or less. Anyway, they sound better than brainwavz hm5 sheeps despite being a very similar dimension but I think it has to do with material and the pad is softer for the hm5, meaning it compresses more when its on.

Honestly though, the sheep 1060 aliexpress pads are just better than any of the hm5 pads aside from swappability, need to glue or tape it to the ring(I used electrical tape). The Aiva pads are nice too, but they fall short of the 1060 when it comes to comfort and also bass. Mostly the comfort though, my ears touch with Aiva pads.

Honestly, these headphones are still impressive to me. I never grabbed my m1060c open vs them, reclosed my m1060c just so it has a use. I do still like my denon 5200 for a more neutral sound but overall I'm using 580 the most and m1060c when theres ambient noise.

Only mods I did was taking off the grills, swapping headband with hifiman headband(cost went up to $40 from $10 unfortunately and needs bending) and m1060 aliexpress sheepskins and 2.5mm removable cable mod. Running it from E1DA, EQ'd, one or the presets just sounded good to me forgot which.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #962 of 1,250
I have those, first pads I tried swapping. Got the pads from the same OEM on amazon for like 10 bucks or less. Anyway, they sound better than brainwavz hm5 sheeps despite being a very similar dimension but I think it has to do with material and the pad is softer for the hm5, meaning it compresses more when its on.

Honestly though, the sheep 1060 aliexpress pads are just better than any of the hm5 pads aside from swappability, need to glue or tape it to the ring(I used electrical tape). The Aiva pads are nice too, but they fall short of the 1060 when it comes to comfort and also bass. Mostly the comfort though, my ears touch with Aiva pads.

Honestly, these headphones are still impressive to me. I never grabbed my m1060c open vs them, reclosed my m1060c just so it has a use. I do still like my denon 5200 for a more neutral sound but overall I'm using 580 the most and m1060c when theres ambient noise.

Only mods I did was taking off the grills, swapping headband with hifiman headband(cost went up to $40 from $10 unfortunately and needs bending) and m1060 aliexpress sheepskins and 2.5mm removable cable mod. Running it from E1DA, EQ'd, one or the presets just sounded good to me forgot which.
I liked Brainwavz oval suede with gel. It was very comfy and sound signature was a bit relaxed high treble and bass. Too bad I did not buy angled and it would been better probably. I could test it again and compare to original pads. I have still another headpone that is still unmodded.

Also I have now stronger and much better DAC+AMP the Topping DX7 Pro.

Edit. And quick measurements. I was wrong with the high treble. It's more like mid treble is relaxed than highest frequencies. I also added HF580. 3 kHz should be higher but it's okay.

HI3050+HF580 pad comparison.png

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #963 of 1,250
I now have two sets of these. I've been thinking of modding the second pair into closed headphones with wood cups. A mod for a detachable balanced cable would be nice to throw in too. 2.5mm connectors would be preferable as they could take the same cables as my Monolith headphones. Where would I find such jacks/terminals?

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #964 of 1,250
I now have two sets of these. I've been thinking of modding the second pair into closed headphones with wood cups. A mod for a detachable balanced cable would be nice to throw in too. 2.5mm connectors would be preferable as they could take the same cables as my Monolith headphones. Where would I find such jacks/terminals?
Why not use 3.5mm? They are also small on the terminal side :) If you want sleek finish use smaller plugs. I recommend to get silver copper wire. It's damn good looking and quality. May too too shiny for this cheap headphone. And transparent plastic Y-splitter.

10323791.jpg

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #965 of 1,250
Why not use 3.5mm? They are also small on the terminal side :) If you want sleek finish use smaller plugs. I recommend to get silver copper wire. It's damn good looking and quality. May too too shiny for this cheap headphone. And transparent plastic Y-splitter.

10323791.jpg

cause like myself he prly had a balanced cable for his m1060c, which also works for he560

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #966 of 1,250
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #967 of 1,250
Some good news for bargain hunters.

When buying Takstar HF580 in the TakstarAudio store - you can get a 25$ discount by using the the promo code "VNW5AKFHBLIW" when placing your order.
If you are interested in Pro 82 or GM200, you can get a 6$ discount by using the the promo code "XBRLTX7RMT6X" when placing your order (if the price excluding shipping is above 63$) or you can get a 4$ discount by using the the promo code "LKYYR3GWIAE2" (if the price excluding shipping is above 50$).
Or - you can leave the message "Head-Fi" in the order before paying it to receive these discounts from the total price including shipping!
These codes are active until October 10th 2020.
These are exclusive codes, please don't share them outside Head-Fi!

HF580 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32997885429.html
Pro 82 v2 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808454492.html
GM200 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html

Important: It's best to use Aliexpress Standard Shipping, because the store have experienced a few situations where Pro 82/GM200 was returned by the customs when using China Post, but never Aliexpress Standard Shipping. Also, it's A LOT faster now during the pandemic, as Aliexpress has direct deals with the local post offices in many countries.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #968 of 1,250
Some good news for bargain hunters.

When buying Takstar HF580 in the TakstarAudio store - you can get a 25$ discount by using the the promo code "VNW5AKFHBLIW" when placing your order.
If you are interested in Pro 82 or GM200, you can get a 6$ discount by using the the promo code "XBRLTX7RMT6X" when placing your order (if total price including shipping is above 63$) or you can get a 4$ discount by using the the promo code "LKYYR3GWIAE2" (if total price including shipping is above 50$).
These codes are active until October 10th 2020.
These are exclusive codes, please don't share them outside Head-Fi!

HF580 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32997885429.html
Pro 82 v2 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808454492.html
GM200 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html

Important: It's best to use Aliexpress Standard Shipping, because the store have experienced a few situations where Pro 82/GM200 was returned by the customs when using China Post, but never Aliexpress Standard Shipping. Also, it's A LOT faster now during the pandemic, as Aliexpress has direct deals with the local post offices in many countries.
That'll be an interesting code for the next site-wide sale... thanks!

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #970 of 1,250
I made a new discovery how this headphone behaves for the output impedance. It seems higher output impedance gives less high bass. I don't know whats happening here but without balance output with impedance 6.2 ohm I was getting more bass and on my ears a bit relaxed middle to treble, even it measures the same. With balanced output (double the ohm) more livier upper frequencies and more even bass. That impedance measurement is from the audiosciencereview.com and Amirm's. This listening was with the Topping DX7 Pro DAC.

May 3, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #971 of 1,250
Does the Monoprice M570 also belong to the same family as these, the Sendyaudio Aiva and Blon B20? The drivers and pads have the same kind of look:

1588540959161.png

May 3, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #972 of 1,250
Does the Monoprice M570 also belong to the same family as these, the Sendyaudio Aiva and Blon B20? The drivers and pads have the same kind of look:

1588540959161.png

I put them in the same category. In fact I replaced the HF-580 with the Monoprice m570 as my daily driver (back when I actually worked in my office before shelter in place). The m570 is just a bit more refined and a bit better bass, but overall the sound between the two is VERY close.

HF-580 is more comfortable tho.

May 4, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #973 of 1,250
I put them in the same category. In fact I replaced the HF-580 with the Monoprice m570 as my daily driver (back when I actually worked in my office before shelter in place). The m570 is just a bit more refined and a bit better bass, but overall the sound between the two is VERY close.

HF-580 is more comfortable tho.
If you put the M570 pads onto the Takstar, how much closer do they get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back