Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Sep 23, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #1,066 of 1,250
I'm listening now. My first impressions is it have more upper frequencies and more bass than cheap China pleathers. Quite snappy sounding. Good microdetails. Second listening: China pleathers sound more muddy now. Need to listen now with original grey pads. First impressions it sound better that it looks and comfort is good.

Edit. They are not really memory foam and it's quite shame they costed 25€ with shipping included.

Edit2. First measurement. They are quite same as original fabric ear pads. Bass to middle to treble is quite same tonally. But upper treble has bigger differenties. I kinda like how they sound because it's very crisp sounding but not make my ears dizzy. As you can see in the photo that original ear pads has lower upper treble but high treble is more promiment.
Hi3050 SendyAudio earpad.png
And this is with the perforated Aiva pads?

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #1,068 of 1,250
Yes. I don't know what happened to the bass with my modded headphone but I measured it with same test bench and seal is good as its sitting on ur hed.

of the earpads I tried the 1060 sheepskin yielded to best results for my taste. I have the aiva v1 pads though, but still, not a fan as my ears touch the driver enclosure with those.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,069 of 1,250
of the earpads I tried the 1060 sheepskin yielded to best results for my taste. I have the aiva v1 pads though, but still, not a fan as my ears touch the driver enclosure with those.
I'm 100% with u with this headphone. Very thick earpads, good longevity, best bass and not over priced. You only need this earpad and maybe some nice mods and booyah, you have a very good headphone.

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #1,071 of 1,250
@Restatic Good find. I need some time to read it full. My eyes immediately gatched for the modding part. He said he did not needed to mod anyway 3.5mm plugs or the cups. On my HPs I had to sand down little to get tight fit between the back cup and the driver.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #1,072 of 1,250
I saw that a while back, probably the most enthusiastic 3.5 star review I've ever seen! 🤣

Good notes on the impact of driver dampening and pad tuning, and raises it to 4.5 star when these modifications are applied. Should be at a good price in two weeks with 11.11 sales, and I'm again contemplating it, though with any luck I'll be auditioning a few headphones between now and then so I can at least offer another set of comparisons.

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #1,073 of 1,250
I saw that a while back, probably the most enthusiastic 3.5 star review I've ever seen! 🤣

Good notes on the impact of driver dampening and pad tuning, and raises it to 4.5 star when these modifications are applied. Should be at a good price in two weeks with 11.11 sales, and I'm again contemplating it, though with any luck I'll be auditioning a few headphones between now and then so I can at least offer another set of comparisons.
Yes :) Too bad he did not do M1060 sheepskins pad swapping. It's the best ear pad out there for this headphone. Hmm I lately noticed that if you add stainless steel 30 mesh to the front it removes harshness from the treble and makes it cleaner and more multi dimensional without dampering it. It shatters sound waves.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #1,074 of 1,250
Yes :) Too bad he did not do M1060 sheepskins pad swapping. It's the best ear pad out there for this headphone. Hmm I lately noticed that if you add stainless steel 30 mesh to the front it removes harsness from the treble and makes it cleaner and more multi dimensional without dampering it. It shatters sound waves.

1. I will do this. My M1060 earpads are a keeper on the HF580. I will try the mod with the foam around the inside of the earcups. Sometimes I do notice a resonance inside the cups.

2. I'm also curious about the effect of the 'openess' of the backside of the earcups. I did do this mod on the HM400s a few years ago, and it sounded more pleasant, faster & deeper. Cleaner also.

3. Did anyone try to close the HF580? If so, how is the result? Maybe it's possible to reach the quality of the Audeze LCD-XC? That's my alltime favorite.... amazing!
1603813300903.png

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #1,075 of 1,250
1. Add damping on the inside of the earcups

1603817627803.png

I did use the foam what is used in the box of the Tasktar. It's the protection foam. It's quite 'open', so it works well to give it a try. I will keep it for a few weeks I think. My main q is how it will sound in comparison with the T50RPmk3 / Stax L300 (my reference).
results:
1. less resonance on specific freqs between 8-10khz (I guess)
2. harsh treble is less
3. sound is more 'frontal' & less 'wide / hollow'
4. more relaxed
5. bass is deep & fast.

Option 2 I won't do. I keep the back of the earcups as it is. The screws of the headband on the earcups won't get off anymore.

Option 3: Closed Backs is still very interesting I think. I you put your hands on the outside of the earcups you get a very strange sound. This is NOT what you want. So when you want to close them, you need to do it very properly.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,076 of 1,250
@Restatic I have tried to make this fully closed but it start to sound weird. 100-300 Hz lowers 1-4 dB and same time 700-3000 Hz rises by the same amount. Not worth to make 100% closed. Around 60-75% is good. I have now approx 75% closed or a bit more. But when getting the 100% something goes awful wrong.

My front looks quite bad but it sound very good and measures too. The mesh I just added lowered bass slightly. Maybe 1 db or 1.5 db. Not much but treble is now more pleasant.
IMG_20201027_192232786.jpg
HF580 with mesh.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,077 of 1,250
@Restatic I have tried to make this fully closed but it start to sound weird. 100-300 Hz lowers 1-4 dB and same time 700-3000 Hz rises by the same amount. Not worth to make 100% closed. Around 60-75% is good. I have now approx 75% closed or a bit more. But when getting the 100% something goes awful wrong.

My front looks quite bad but it sound very good and measures too. The mesh I just added lowered bass slightly. Maybe 1 db or 1.5 db. Not much but treble is now more pleasant.
IMG_20201027_192232786.jpg HF580 with mesh.png
Yeah.

Strange isn't it?

1. How did Monoprice did it with the m1060c?
2. Audeze with LCD-XC?

Both models are open and closed versions.

It must be possible to do if you look ay those models in comparison with both from above?

What is the reason why it sounds 'strange'?

Is it the plastic material? How about to create 3d cups from out nice wood?

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,079 of 1,250
1. Add damping on the inside of the earcups

1603817627803.png

I did use the foam what is used in the box of the Tasktar. It's the protection foam. It's quite 'open', so it works well to give it a try. I will keep it for a few weeks I think. My main q is how it will sound in comparison with the T50RPmk3 / Stax L300 (my reference).
results:
1. less resonance on specific freqs between 8-10khz (I guess)
2. harsh treble is less
3. sound is more 'frontal' & less 'wide / hollow'
4. more relaxed
5. bass is deep & fast.

Option 2 I won't do. I keep the back of the earcups as it is. The screws of the headband on the earcups won't get off anymore.

Option 3: Closed Backs is still very interesting I think. I you put your hands on the outside of the earcups you get a very strange sound. This is NOT what you want. So when you want to close them, you need to do it very properly.
Well.. I did use them for a while... lack of details. offcourse...

So took them back as they were, without damping in front of the earpads.

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,080 of 1,250
Can't find the HF580 for sale anywhere..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back