Taking care of your Customs
May 21, 2010 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lonereaction

100+ Head-Fier
Any tips and tricks?

I'm still waiting for my JH16s to arrive. Don't want it to become like my livewires, filled with crap and goo that can't be removed. Used a bent stapler to scrape some out, but it's still lined with flakes of earwax, from 3 years of use. Don't want my new custom to end up like that >_<

Somehow the free cleaning tool just doesn't cut it.

May 21, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 10
Make sure you at least take a quick look at the sound bores after each use and if need be use the little cleaning tool to remove wax.
Also wipe them off with a cloth after a couple days to remove general wax and skin oil.

For sortage, wrap cable loosely around 3 fingers and store in some decent case.

May 21, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 10
After every usage clean the sound bores with the included wax removal tool. Also after every use clean the entire shell with a alcohol wipe and store than in a safe environment. Basically treat them as if they were your baby and they should last a good while.

May 22, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 10
I use Audio Wipes to clean my IEM's, including my customs.

http://www.westone.com/catalog/audiologist-s-choice-audio-wipes

I bought the 100 pack of "wipies"  Do a thorough wipe down every week usually.  I'm fortunate to have pretty clean ears and the dry flaky kind of ear wax.

-Ed

May 24, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
After every usage clean the sound bores with the included wax removal tool. Also after every use clean the entire shell with a alcohol wipe and store than in a safe environment. Basically treat them as if they were your baby and they should last a good while.

I think it would be safer not to use alcohol, as it seems to react with the acrylic plastic in the long run. Take a look at this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back