Takatsuki Electric TA-300B
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #166 of 189
  I need to get a 300b SET amp.  I hear the Taks and elrogs are amazing.  A lot prefer over WE 300B which is amazing given the sheer amount of gravitas, rep wise, the WE 300B have.

Cary was offering their 300 SEI amp a week ago on special.  A B stock for half off.  If you are interested, call them.
This is info on the 300 SEI.
http://www.caryaudio.com/products/cad-300sei/

I have enjoyed this for over 6 years.  Rolled over two dozen tubes on them over this time.  On the current models, Cary uses Genalex Gold Lion 300B.  They are terrific.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #167 of 189

Cary was offering their 300 SEI amp a week ago on special.  A B stock for half off.  If you are interested, call them.
This is info on the 300 SEI.
http://www.caryaudio.com/products/cad-300sei/

I have enjoyed this for over 6 years.  Rolled over two dozen tubes on them over this time.  On the current models, Cary uses Genalex Gold Lion 300B.  They are terrific.

Ill check it out.  What was the pricing btw?  Kind of been eyeing Frankenstein.

Also this one uses 6sn7.  I have a few tungsol round plates about to be homeless when I which out my preamp

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #168 of 189
  The new Elrog's, I mean the shipment that has just landed are phenomenal, very different and much improved over the earlier sub 800 serial numbers, its a real toss up between those and the Tak's - both are easily superior to the original WE 300B's (not the 90's re-issue) - as long as both are paired with the Tak 274B rectifier. 

You think the 90's WE 300B re-issue is superior?

Also, how to do you compare the WE 274B with Tak 274B?

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #169 of 189

Ill check it out.  What was the pricing btw?  Kind of been eyeing Frankenstein.

Also this one uses 6sn7.  I have a few tungsol round plates about to be homeless when I which out my preamp

Regular like $5,900, so $2,900
Yes, 6SN7.  Those are fun to roll and easy to find.

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #170 of 189

You think the 90's WE 300B re-issue is superior?

Also, how to do you compare the WE 274B with Tak 274B?

They are superior to both, not as romantically lush through the mid range however far better at both frequency extremes, the new Elrog in particular sounds most unlike a 300B, the music sounds like it is lit internally, its hard to describe but quite addictive once you've heard it. Reliability on the Tak's is very good I currently have one pair well over 3,000 hours and still going strong as the day they went in. WE's will also last 40 - 50,000 hours if looked after. None of these tubes have the all to familiar Calcium Oxide "pep" to speed burn in, so take a long time to reach their best, upwards of 400 hours same as the WE's.

WE 274B compares exactly the same, great lush midrange but lacks in the bass and treble extension regions. Tak 274B covers it all, while I think abut it, the Mullard Metal Base GZ34 (if you can find them) is very good also, probably better paired with the Tak 300B than the Elrog.

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #171 of 189
Well, I am resurrecting this thread again....I have read this whole thread twice and also the reviews at Parttimeaudiophile.com and Sixmoons.com and the discussion at Audiogon. It has given the expected results :D:D
I have ordered a pair of TA-300Bs! There is currently a two month wait, but that is ok, as it will give me time to save up the money to pay for them :p

I have sold off my pair of PSVane WE300B Replicas and have my Shuguang Black Treasures for sale. After getting used to the WE Replicas, the Shuguang Black Treasures didn't seem nearly as refined :mad: This is going to make the Takatsukis even more enjoyable!

I'm running the 300Bs in my home system, an all Audio Note tube system., which is quite resolving. I have had fun rolling all of the various tubes with NOS, but the cost of old WE300Bs had me looking at Takatsukis and Elrogs. Too many issues with the Elrogs for me. I had two pairs of Sophia Royal Princess 300Bs die on me, when no other tube has had an issue in my system, so the reliability of the Takatsukis has sold me on trying them. They sure are a beautiful tube!

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #172 of 189
Where did you order your Tak?

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #173 of 189
I ended up ordering from Price Japan for ¥159000. It saves me almost CDN $600 compared to buying from True Audiophile in Portland, if my math is correct.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #174 of 189
You don't need to pay until shipment? That is good.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #175 of 189
I have purchased both my pairs for Tak 300Bs from Price Japan.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #176 of 189
Well, I am resurrecting this thread again....I have read this whole thread twice and also the reviews at Parttimeaudiophile.com and Sixmoons.com and the discussion at Audiogon. It has given the expected results
biggrin.gif
:D
I have ordered a pair of TA-300Bs! There is currently a two month wait, but that is ok, as it will give me time to save up the money to pay for them
tongue.gif

I have sold off my pair of PSVane WE300B Replicas and have my Shuguang Black Treasures for sale. After getting used to the WE Replicas, the Shuguang Black Treasures didn't seem nearly as refined
mad.gif
This is going to make the Takatsukis even more enjoyable!

I'm running the 300Bs in my home system, an all Audio Note tube system., which is quite resolving. I have had fun rolling all of the various tubes with NOS, but the cost of old WE300Bs had me looking at Takatsukis and Elrogs. Too many issues with the Elrogs for me. I had two pairs of Sophia Royal Princess 300Bs die on me, when no other tube has had an issue in my system, so the reliability of the Takatsukis has sold me on trying them. They sure are a beautiful tube!

Took less than 2 weeks to get my pair last year from PriceJapan

paul

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #177 of 189
Jul 2, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #178 of 189
Took less than 2 weeks to get my pair last year from PriceJapan

paul

I would love to get them in two weeks, but they are saying something on their website something about a delay of up to two months. It's not so hard to wait for them unless I keep talking about them here! Then I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning :p

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #179 of 189
Jul 30, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #180 of 189
Do you guys know if there even a newer version compared to white vs. black base? or there are only 2 versions, white and black base?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back