Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #946 of 976
Each Kannon gets tested with triaxial accelerometers that measure the motion of each ear cup across four bass octaves. The acoustic frequency response is measured at the same time on a Bruel&Kjaer Head and Torso Simulator over an acoustic range that is expanded on the low end (we use 10Hz - 20kHz).

Hi Jim,
I was sure that you test every Kannon before shipping.
Before buying them I read pretty much every datasheet you produced and watched every video about the design and production of the Kannons, so I was already aware that I was buying something that is the result of thousands of hours of work, study and dedication. I'm just saying that I expected something different. A lot of people (even in this thread) claim to feel a huge "slam" in the face because of the haptic sensor, and they have to lower the power of the tactile function of their kannons because at 10 it's just too much. For me, in most of the cases at 6 is just a regular bass, from 8 to 10 it's entertaining but I'd like to move it to 15-20 to feel what I expected. That's it!
I also tried to increase/reduce the clamping force (again, following one of your videos), change pads, and so on... but there were just small differences.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #947 of 976
My goal is to make sure everyone can get as much slam as they want, right up to the limit of the technology. That said - compared to hearing there is a lot of variation in audio-tactile sensitivity. It varies from person to person. Personal variation could be the reason you are at a 10 wanting to go to 15 or 20. Or it could be your particular Kannon.

Let's see what we can do to get to the bottom of it. I just sent you a PM checking in with some ideas on figuring this out.

-J

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #948 of 976
I'm sorry for Jim and its team who had great ideas but IMO kannons weren't a success at all. I bought them from kickstarter and had to send them back when i saw they could never reproduce subbass as my JVC SZ2000 could and even my vmoda m100 can push way more subbass without any distortion if amp'ed correctly. I never could hear any frequency under 30hz.....as different people have had the same issue IMO it's just a fact....hope one day someone will be able to build a JVC SZ2000 with clarity. It would be a game killer for 500 bucks. I don't get why no one has been able to achieve this. He could beat even the beats by dre headphones in terms of sells if the product is good. If i had the knowledge i would work on it night and day knowing i can build something that will get rid of the headphones on the market. As a Dj in France i was ready to advertise the Kannons to big amount of djs i know, radios, beatmakers, sound engineers, etc...but it couldn't happen as even my M100 were better in terms of bass. I hope to see someone making this headphone we all have been waiting for ! The one you could plug on whatever source, it will be self amped enough to make your head shake with even a simple 6 bands software equalizer. It's been almost 10 years i have discovered this forum and ten years later things haven't moved much.......

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #949 of 976
Well not everyone wants that strong bass feedback either, more the opposite it got a bit too "in-your-face". For me for example 6-7 was suitable, ie. a subtle feeling of bass, this is is similar to the amount I experience with my current daily headphones too. My main problem was the issue of inconsistency how much it varied in impact depending on the bass response, perhaps technically it was a linear response but it doesn't provide a linear feedback feel to the skin for sure, even 5-10Hz difference in bass frequency could provide very different feedback to the skin, this isn't the problem with dynamic drivers on stereoids, you can easily experience similar amount of force whether it's 40 or 80Hz or anything in-between, at least my daily driver does. Kannons loved 50Hz for sure.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #950 of 976
I think the problem is that it is a very personal experience. I rarely go over 6-7 and abandoned all my other headphones for the Kannons as they are fun to listen to. I supported them during the Kickstarter campaign because they promised to offer something unique and for me, they actually do that.

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #951 of 976
I ended up selling my Kannon headphones after not using them for a few months. The main issue for me was comfort. It was hard to wear them for long periods. By the way, I've been using a Flexound HUMU which provides a tactile sensation that falls somewhere in between that of the Kannon and the Subpac.

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #955 of 976
Is it possible to run these with a balanced cable?

I have tried them with my ES100 DAC and I just think that it doesn't have quite enough power at the standard output, so doubling the current would be good. I'm just not sure if it would work.

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #956 of 976
Just pulled the plug on these after agonizing over these vs the massdrop TR-X00.
Hope they are as great as the reviews :)

EDIT: It's still in processing - any idea when it will clear? Reached out to their contact email, no response :frowning2:
EDIT2: got an email from John about some procurement issues, and have asked me to wait for a week. Will update.

This sort of stuff happens to me every time :frowning2: - last time I put an order for a pair of Philharmonic AA, and they got stuck with similar issues with one of their drivers for an entire month, and finally I gave up and cancelled to buy something else instead. Hope I have better luck with this one :frowning2:

EDIT3: Still no update from them. Their website claims these are still in stock. Beginning to lose patience.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #957 of 976
Got it finally, and found that it just met expectations, If i had bought this off amazon, I would have returned it.
Seems its pretty low sensitivity - the IDT on my laptop is not able to drive it to full levels, (which it could easily with by Beyerdynamic COPS) while my bass traveller has some success adding bass.
Is there a decent dac/amp combo under $100 that can push enough power to this ?

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #960 of 976
Does anybody have any experience with these headphones primarily in the gaming department of using them?

Not as a main thing, what do you want to know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back