Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
May 26, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #918 of 976
Your headphones have been repaired and are on their way back to you.

Got it from mail yesterday and have been playing with it today while working. Twice I hit loud noise when plugging it into my macbook, had to switch to DAC/Phone/iPad and it worked fine on those. Indeed problem was solved, more than satisfied I am. For certain types of music it's heaven.

Regarding the noise, just now I found I could reproduce by sliding the volume control to the max end. Lowering a little bit mutes the loud static like sound. -- although I remember when I first hit it, it was NOT at the max position. Anyway, happy listening without a problem now.

btw James the CTO attached a handwritten letter explaining the treatment that had been done. Much appreciated!

May 26, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #919 of 976
okay, when I said "reproduce" it's not exactly the same -- it was not as loud, but audible. and same doesn't happen with iPad -- even at max there is no noise.

I tried to use a 3.5mm cable without mic channel, switch taction on and off, unplug mac power etc, but wasn't able to isolate the cause.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #920 of 976

So, Taction set to 10: what's you feeling? For me it's just a little tickle, while I was expecting a complete slam!

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #921 of 976
no one?

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #922 of 976
I think it depends on your priorities and whats the most important aspect of a basshead HP youre looking for.

I feel that the Kannon is a better overall headphone and bests the SZ2000 in most,if not all areas.However the bass on the Kannons isnt nuanced,textured or layered.It sounds/feels the same regardless of what youre listening to...The slam against your skull when listening to Black Sabbath is the same as the bass you get from Hip/Hop...its an odd thing.

I'd take the SZ2000 if your goal is BASS,and nothing else,and youre willing to get into massive EQing,amping,pad rolling,etc.The Kannons certainly have their quirks too though.

I discuss THE Kannon/JVC comparison in my video review which can be found on my YouTube channel.Link in signature.

Keep in mind,im not a basshead.I consider the JVC to be the worst sounding modern headphone Ive owned and didnt like the Kannons much better,so this is def a case of YMMV.

Very interesting analysis in your video about the Kannons. I still have yet to experience a pair of the Kannons or the SZ2000s, but from what I've been reading on Head-Fi and hearing about for the last few years, it looks like my portable setup with DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets (V-Moda M-100s, Cayin C5, Rockboxed iPod Classic with my app) is still the most suitable for me! :wink:

(Late last year I came out with another update -- Version 5.0, and posted an updated user guide and short video for it a few months ago.)

Anyway, the SZ2000's apparent terrible sound quality in the mids & highs; its physical-modding requirement; its bulkiness, lack of a detachable cable, and lack of portability have all been keeping me away from it.

As for the Kannon, the first problem for me also seems to be its lack of portability. Its carrying case looks like the size of a briefcase, and the in-line controller would pose a huge problem when walking outside while carrying a handbag or umbrella, or while commuting via subway or city bus with standing room only.

I've always wondered about the Kannon's sub-bass lacking realism and detail (i.e., no air pressure change, etc.), and what you said in your video totally seems to confirm that. If bass guitars and kick drums in rock music sound the same as synthesized bass in rap, then the lack of detail is obvious.

But you also covered something else I didn't realize: you said the mids & highs of the Kannon are sub-par compared to the M-100's.

I've always loved the treble (i.e., highs) on the M-100, and its occasional bloated lower mids on some songs can be corrected by using the "Lite" and "Ultra Lite" midbass categories in my EQ-preset app.

So if the Kannon can't put out as good of mids & highs as the M-100, then that, too, would be a problem for me.

(On a side note, you mentioned in your video that some bassheads will EQ at 20 Hz. I never EQ that low, since very few songs have any sound at that low of a frequency, and trying to boost it is extremely inefficient. Prior to Version 4.1 of my app (which came out in late 2016), I had been EQ'ing the sub-bass at the standard 32 Hz band. But even that is too low for most songs. So I learned to set the Rockbox EQ "low-shelf filter" band at 40 Hz with a slightly-steeper slope rate than the default setting, and boo-yah: Version 4.1 was born! And in my app, the next four bands of 64 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, and 500 Hz (i.e., midbass and lower midrange) have settings that are unique to each midbass category that you can choose from.)

To be fair, though, my portable rig does have at least one disadvantage. It can only work with a Rockboxed iPod Classic (or perhaps with some other older music players that can accept Rockbox firmware). You can't use it to watch movies or play games, so the Kannon would certainly have an advantage over my portable rig...at home while hooked up to a PC.

But then again, I rarely use headphones for movies or games, so that's not a problem for me.

Anyway, in closing,...not much seems to be happening in the headphone world these days, in terms of new products I'm interested in. (You can view this discussion on the M-100 thread.) It seems that only wireless, planar magnetics, and IEMs have been the new ones trending in recent years.

Oh well.... :sleepy: :sleeping:

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #923 of 976
If bass guitars and kick drums in rock music sound the same as synthesized bass in rap

Hey DPJ hope youre well...

I sold my Kannons off quite awhile ago,so im going off of memory here... I do not recall the bass sounding the same so much as it felt the same. However since the tactile sensation occurs at the same time as the signal reaches the ear it is hard to separate the feeling from the sound.

you said the mids & highs of the Kannon are sub-par compared to the M-100
Again going off of memory your setup that you brought with you to the Head-Fi meet was the best sounding bass-centric combo Ive heard to date for the music you were playing.

Im not much of a basshead,nor a huge fan of modern pop,dance,hip-hop genres. 95% of what I listen to on a daily basis is rock/metal/blues/folk. My focus has always been on the mids,looking for that creamy yet textured sound that makes the guitars and vocals sound like theyre right there with you. Because mids are my focus I was disappointed with The Kannons sound when the transducer was switched off. I was expecting more and felt it was a bit of a missed opportunity. For the type of music you prefer I cant say as to whether or not you will like the Kannons.

The only other bass heavy headphone that Ive had in my home recently are the Campfire Cascades,which are quite impressive,but for $800.00 I think the laws of diminishing returns vs. your M-100s would hit you hard.

TL;DR

Stick with your M-100s

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #924 of 976
Hey DPJ hope youre well...

going off of memory your setup that you brought with you to the Head-Fi meet was the best sounding bass-centric combo Ive heard to date for the music you were playing.

Glad you liked it! :joy: :man_dancing:

Im not much of a basshead,nor a huge fan of modern pop,dance,hip-hop genres. 95% of what I listen to on a daily basis is rock/metal/blues/folk.

My main taste has always been in pop and dance-pop music. But I also have a lot of hard rock, soft rock, country-pop, jazz-pop, and electronic lounge music in my collection as well. Several months ago I also discovered a neo-classical, epic-Hollywood-movie-background-music-style artist called Two Steps From Hell. Added nearly 200 songs of theirs (that I like) to my music collection this past winter, and they sound amazing in my headphone system.

The only other bass heavy headphone that Ive had in my home recently are the Campfire Cascades,which are quite impressive,but for $800.00 I think the laws of diminishing returns vs. your M-100s would hit you hard.

My understanding is that most headphone models today in the $250 - $300 range (from good brands) will give you about 98% of the sound quality that you can possibly get from your music. (And most people probably can't notice a difference in sound quality of less than 2.5%.)

So yeah, the diminishing returns would definitely hit me hard. :right_facing_fist:

TL;DR

Stick with your M-100s

Amen, bro! :beyersmile:

And you do the same with what you like.

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #925 of 976
Mine are up for sale in the forums, if anyone is interested.

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #929 of 976
Hi everyone. I really wanted to jump onto the kannon hype but couldn't quite afford to get them from the website directly because the customs fee I'd have to pay for them were extortionate. Therefore I bought a pair off ebay (no customs fees!).

I have some questions... In all the reviews I've read, people seem to mention that the kannons are on par with the sz2000, but I'm not seeing this at all, like not even slightly (I have both). At low volume they work OK (my beats studio 2 has better shaking potential), at higher volumes, not much really happens, it actually sounds worse the higher I go, there's even some clipping in the left ear cup.

I've tried using them with my cayin C5 (like I would with the sz2000), but it doesn't make a difference, in fact, there's some really weird loud buzzing noise coming from the right ear that only stops when I turn the transducer off.

In general, I've been pretty disappointed with these as my beats studio genuinely provide more head shake than these do.... This leads me to think that something is wrong with this pair. I can't exactly 'prove' it because there's no physical damage and it 'works', so I can't get a refund from the seller... But I just want to be sure that this isn't normal. Is this a faulty pair?

Thanks!

i have them as well trying to sell them because they are just not what i was expecting. i don't think they are faulty. the reason why you think the sz2000 kicks harder is because of spl since the kannons do it with a transducer you just feel the bass different sure it vibrates but it isn't quite the visceral feel you can get with normal headphones. the thing with wich the kannons are good for is that you don't need to turn them up as high as the sz2000 to get a really good shake going. All in all i guess you just were overhyped and expected too much like me

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #930 of 976
i have them as well trying to sell them because they are just not what i was expecting. i don't think they are faulty. the reason why you think the sz2000 kicks harder is because of spl since the kannons do it with a transducer you just feel the bass different sure it vibrates but it isn't quite the visceral feel you can get with normal headphones. the thing with wich the kannons are good for is that you don't need to turn them up as high as the sz2000 to get a really good shake going. All in all i guess you just were overhyped and expected too much like me
Hey, thanks for the reply. Even the shake though, I wouldn't class it as a 'really good shake' at all. My sz2000 genuinely makes my skull vibrate... I can feel the bass with these, but it's not anywhere near the sz2000 for me... I honestly don't understand how hawaiibadboy can put these at number 2 on his list. I trust him, that's why I think my pair MUST be faulty - these are so just so underwhelming for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back