Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Aug 30, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #931 of 976
They must be faulty... If you are at all near Reading, sample mine for comparison sake!

So we are on the same page... listen to this:

For trap music like that, I find the Kannons exceptional. You don't fully realise that it is a tactile transducer doing the work. Turn it to 8 or 9 and its like a sub is on your head. If you find any of that not to be true, then something is up.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #932 of 976
Thanks for the reply. The song I've had the best success with so far is Leaving feat yuna by Ekali, even then, it's not what I expected it to be. I read on Reddit that HM5 pads help quite a bit, anyone got experience with this? Or other pads that would work better? Thanks!

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #934 of 976
Thanks for the reply. The song I've had the best success with so far is Leaving feat yuna by Ekali, even then, it's not what I expected it to be. I read on Reddit that HM5 pads help quite a bit, anyone got experience with this? Or other pads that would work better? Thanks!

I had tried these on mine https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N02FMFC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I felt they improved the physical feeling of bass quite a bit. I believe they make a version for the ATH-M50, which would be a more appropriate shape.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #935 of 976
...it actually sounds worse the higher I go, there's even some clipping in the left ear cup.
I have never experienced clipping from the two Kannons that I've used, even at volumes that I find uncomfortable.

in fact, there's some really weird loud buzzing noise coming from the right ear that only stops when I turn the transducer off.
[...]This leads me to think that something is wrong with this pair. I can't exactly 'prove' it because there's no physical damage and it 'works', so I can't get a refund from the seller... But I just want to be sure that this isn't normal. Is this a faulty pair?
I had similar buzzing electrical faults on my first pair, which then needed to be sent back to home base. Dunno if you'll be able to do that since you bought them aftermarket, but hopefully you'll have a better bargaining position in getting a refund from the seller now that we're chiming in.

As for the HM5s: I use them on mine, and they make the Kannons more comfortable, have broader soundstage, and for my head personally I feel more vibration against the skin. Heartily recommended.

But then as for comparisons to things like the the SZ2000 or any variation of Beats: I've never had a chance to audition them, and so can't really say. My daily-drivers are TH-X00 Purple Hearts with the bass boosted by about 6dB or so in Peace. Used to be 8dB but that made my eardrums feel uncomfortable after a while, so I took it down a notch. The PH doesn't vibrate my skull, but it's also a looser headphone anyway, so it's decoupled from the head somewhat. Comparing the bass quality of Purple Hearts to the Kannons more directly, I'd say PH is more like musical thunder, and Kannon with HM5 is more like a fun earthquake. PH can become more fatiguing with the EQ boost, but the Kannon needs no external EQ bass boost at all, despite naturally reaching much deeper, and the experience never gets fatiguing.

I hope this helps you a bit. In short: Yes yours seem to be busted, no the HM5 will not fix what you're experiencing right now, but yes the HM5 is a great buy if you have a working pair that you already know you'd like to keep.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #936 of 976
HI Niko - I'll personally check into your repair and get you an update -J
Hey Jim, I received them yesterday and wanted to thank everyone for their hard work and creativeness. Glad to have my Kannons back and really appreciate the personal message!

Getting all my friends to try them on again now that they're back, hahaha!
Have a great day.
Niko

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #938 of 976
No, but I just bought a pair of JVC HA-SZ2000 and I prefer the kannons by quite a bit. The JVC mids and highs seem distant and a bit muffled compared to the kannons. The JVC certainly hit the lows well, but the overall experience is not anywhere near as good as the kannons, for me.

The kannons allow me to watch films, play games, play music, while the JVC is largely unsuitable for gaming because the mids and highs are not as precise or natural. I would also not watch a film with the JVC. They are purely musical.

The JVC needs a lot of EQ and a good amp too, which is all fine as I have that setup already, but the kannons are good to go out of the box.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #941 of 976
is something wrong with my kannons if my ATH pro700mk 2 rattle my skull more then the kannons on 10 ??

Yeah - something is up. The Kannon, working properly, should be vastly different. So - PM me with the details and let's if we can figure out a way to get you the experience you are looking for. - FightinJim

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #942 of 976
Hey Jim, I received them yesterday and wanted to thank everyone for their hard work and creativeness. Glad to have my Kannons back and really appreciate the personal message!

Getting all my friends to try them on again now that they're back, hahaha!
Have a great day.
Niko
Thank Niko! Glad you like. Sharing the joy with fellow bassheads is why I do this.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #944 of 976
is this thread still alive?

is something wrong with my kannons if my ATH pro700mk 2 rattle my skull more then the kannons on 10 ??
I don't know about yours and how Jim tested them, but mine are constantly at 10 to have the bass response I "expected" (actually, I'd expect something more powerful than that as my head is not shaking but just vibrating a little bit - even with different and more sealed pads).

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #945 of 976
is this thread still alive?

I don't know about yours and how Jim tested them, but mine are constantly at 10 to have the bass response I "expected" (actually, I'd expect something more powerful than that as my head is not shaking but just vibrating a little bit - even with different and more sealed pads).

Each Kannon gets tested with triaxial accelerometers that measure the motion of each ear cup across four bass octaves. The acoustic frequency response is measured at the same time on a Bruel&Kjaer Head and Torso Simulator over an acoustic range that is expanded on the low end (we use 10Hz - 20kHz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back