Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Apr 6, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #77 of 976

Interesting. Where did you plug the usb part ? The jack was on the phone i guess but what about the usb stuff ?

It says it has a rechargeable "mobile battery" too that you can use for such cases. EDIT: Hawaiibadboy beat me to it while I was speaking with a coworker. :p

I hope even if this Kickstarter doesn't get funded, at least we will be able to order it for the standard price later on, ofc had been sweet to get it for $329 incl. shipping + customs in my case but would still wanna try it for its intended retail pricing.

There's many reasons why I find it interesting, the taction driver's vibrations isn't just for the feels but I really believe it will aid the bass response visceral ability. After my testing with various headphones and abusing EQ a bit I found, often those headphones which had the casing more thinner and easier vibrated with the bass frequencies tended to give more visceral and satisfying impact. The Q40's bass quality is still some of my favorite bass output for my taste because it's so punchy and tight and visceral (it's not the strongest but the punchiness/impact vs quality ratio is really superb), its driver isn't quite locked-in, it actually moves around a little bit inside the circular driver housing and I find this also makes the whole structure vibrate more and I think this contributes to why I find the bass quality of Q40 so satisfying, I expect the Taction driver to give similar experiences. The other reason I find interesting if it would further lower my listening volumes since I usually listen for several hrs a day, sometimes up to 6 hrs or so, so the lower I can go while still getting a satisfying listen the better for my hearing, I have already now been listening to a constant volume setting and never adjust it in order to avoid racking the volume to dangerously high volume levels, your brain tends to adapt to a certain volume setting and after that both lower as well as higher volume levels might not even provide more satisfaction, more the opposite.

As a gamer, I also need a headset and been using a desktop mic so far which isn't quite the ideal setting compared to using a headset, also interested this headset's gaming capabilities and how much of a benefit this tactile response from the bass would help reaction times if it's really true as the acclaimed research is saying that it improves reaction times.

I'm an avid hardstyle fan which is all about punchy bass. It's not really the bass frequencies and how loudly I hear them that interest me but the feel of impact. The more "invisible" the bass is turned and the more impactful (it is felt) the better for me since I do like hearing everything else as clearly as possible meanwhile feeling as much impact as possible from bass frequencies and Kannons on the paper to me seems to specialize in exactly that.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #79 of 976
This looks wild, I have been burned out on headphones for months.  This sort of makes me want to reach for my wallet and get back into it.  I know nothing about Kickstarter though.  What happens if it doesn't meet the goal.  Won't happen I assume? 

Looks really cool and if HBB endorses it....it's gotta be awesome.  I saw one video where he put it over as being a SZ2000 killer (or in the realm of sz2000 at least).  To hear that from him....that's wow!  Too bad from the kickstarter anyway, it's not doing as well as they hoped.  I hope it does better but 17 days away, it doesn't look good. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #80 of 976
  This looks wild, I have been burned out on headphones for months.  This sort of makes me want to reach for my wallet and get back into it.  I know nothing about Kickstarter though.  What happens if it doesn't meet the goal.  Won't happen I assume? 

Looks really cool and if HBB endorses it....it's gotta be awesome.  I saw one video where he put it over as being a SZ2000 killer (or in the realm of sz2000 at least).  To hear that from him....that's wow!  Too bad from the kickstarter anyway, it's not doing as well as they hoped.  I hope it does better but 17 days away, it doesn't look good. 

As far as the campaign, if it doesn't get funded the contributors do not get charged. Where Taction will go from there is up to them.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #82 of 976
Maybe they could have taken it to the extreme by putting an amp ship in it (as the size and weight are still light compared to sz2000 for example) so that you could put it on whatever crappy amped source but still get outstanding sound.......i mean not being scared to make a killer product !

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #84 of 976
I wouldn't have wanted battery powered built in amp personally, I rather make it as light as possible as I intend to only use it stationary at home anyway with my computer and can be wearing headphones for many hrs on end so lightness is always a favorable advantage to me (being used to around 250g weighting headphones). For me the product looks perfect as is. :) Clamping force is just as critical, I don't want the clamping to be neither too strong or too light, as strong as it can be without getting problematic is the best IMO since tighter clamp has sonical advantages especially when you're a basshead and it also takes load off of your top of your head (Q40 that I use does that particularly well as it's mostly the clamping around the ears that carries the weight).

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #85 of 976
  Balanced inputs?  No, not on on this first release.  The ability to go mobile is valuable to a lot of people, and so we are working to keep the size of our connectors down. We want to make sure that you aren't locked into your desktop or home theater set up.  It can be nice to watch movies on the plane or in bed, or to listen to music off your handset while you're walking.  Balanced input may be something we take on in a later product.

FightinJim
Founder and CTO, Taction Technology

If I were to DIY a mini-xlr on the end of the cable instead of the 3.5 mm plug, would the cable/remote support it?
In other words will the cable have separate conductors per channel from the headphones down to the plug or share a ground?
All my headphone are like this and re-cabled if necessary, but I don't see replacing the cable from the remote to the headphone.

Edit: Regardless, I'm in anyway. Anything that can produce bass as hard as the SZ2000 and may have an easier eq curve needs support. :)

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #86 of 976
Two comments on some recent posts:

The USB will plug into any USB source. So desktop and console gaming are easy. But you can literally plug this into any USB power source and it will work. The mobile battery is something I would see you using with a mobile phone or tablet.

The demo units I have tried are comfortable, I did not experience any clamping fatigue. I worked at a headphone company for a few years so I know when a unit clamps and when it does not (we had a few that would squeeze your eyeballs out).

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #87 of 976
I asked about that. It would've reduced the effectiveness of the Taction driver, among other drawbacks.

Same reason there aren't batteries on the headphones themselves.

My remak about the amp chip was made while i was thinking of how tiny and light weight the fiio e6 is. So doing the same without battery would be even smaller. So i thought maybe there would have been a way to make something (putting the amp in the headband for example..........they manage to produce so tiny things nowadays....

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #89 of 976

Kickstater campaigns tend to surge at the end as lurkers join in at the end. Impartial bots project the Kannon will make 106% of goal. Projection above is from the backerkit bot.

This only happens if folks act like they do in the average kickstarter campaign - scramble hard to make the goal.

A powerful thing you can do is post about Kannons on forums outside Head-fi. Meanwhile Mike and I are here at Axpona in Chicago getting them on a bunch more heads. Going to go set up the booth right now.
FightinJim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back