Taction Technology KANNON Headphone
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #481 of 976
Super early first random impressions. I evidently received #0003. Let me preface this by saying I don't consider myself a super hardcore audiophile, but I really love and yearn for a ton of deep bass yet also enjoy a wide variety of other genres that don't typically have so much. Overall I probably prefer my music darker sounding than most people on these forums.

I've just been sitting here listening to different music with these for about three hours through a simple setup of a FiiO e12 going into a basic audioengine d1 DAC connected to my PC. They THUMP and they go DEEP. A very clean, tight, accurate, and deep bass without having to blow out my ears with volume to get it which was one of my main motivators for backing them in the first place way back when.

Certain tracks are next level with these things to the point where I simply can't justify cranking the taction dial to 10.

Something like Wiz Khalifa's Burn Slow at an 8 on the taction dial is face shaking like no other. It's going to be hard to find tracks that thump harder.

It's pretty impressive how the bass is tight enough that it manages to gets out of the way of the mids for me without having to mess around with EQ at all. I don't really hear it bleed into other sounds like I would with my SZ2k's. Being able to feel drums thump in the background without giving up the clarity of a precise guitar is great. I definitely get that live music feeling from these with some of the stuff I've listened to in that regard. Best of all it's really easy to adjust the dial to suit preference for any given song or just turn it off all together if the music doesn't suit it.

Listening to some punk like Bad Religion that often has very punchy and tight drums is great at around 5.

Distorted bass guitar heavy Muse tracks were also very standout for me at around 5.

Even tracks with a more subtle bass line is a very pleasant listening experience.

I love the 'outrun' and 'synthwave' sort of genre and it works really well with that also.

I've tried listening to all sorts of genres but I would be here all day listing them. I've been satisfied with what I've been able to achieve with these one way or another. I can emphatically state that I prefer these over my SZ2k's. I think it's safe to say that anyone that considers themselves a basshead will be satisfied with these. As a side note, they're lighter and will make for much less taxing extended listening which is one of my biggest gripes with the SZ's.

I listened to a few of the above tracks through spotify just by plugging it into my phone directly (an xperia x compact) and while it's a little bit less thump than it being AMP'd through my PC it certainly does work really well. 'Burn Slow' still managed to make my face shake, albeit a little bit less. I'm sure some of you that have tweaked out androids will get way more mileage than me here.

I have not messed around with movies or games yet, but I'm sure they'll deliver a similar experience given what I've listened to.

The case is very nice and it's pretty apparent Jim and Co. put a lot of love into the product. It's solid and well constructed. I may change out the pads to brainwavz hm5's but I think that's more of a personal preference thing.

If there were one thing I wish for in the future would be a wireless version. I'll be the first to pre-order those Jim.

So in the end, does this satisfy my craving for bass? Well not entirely, but I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with just headphones compared to the experience of a subwoofer being in the room with me. Given that I don't have that luxury without annoying my neighbors, these sure as hell without a doubt are the pinnacle of what I've been able to achieve with headphones. It's not even close, and I'm really quite happy with them thus far. These don't mess around and I would happily say that they are worth it to me. Upgrading my amp and dac would honestly just be the cherry on top.

I just wanted to leave a few words since these have been a long time coming. Remember these are just off the cuff early impressions, don't take anything I say as gospel and wait for more seasoned vets to chime in with their actual reviews before passing judgment. I've not tried a fraction of the equipment some of you have around these parts, but HBB gave these high praise and for good reason.

Here's a visual way to get an idea about how these songs hit with Kannons... -J

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #482 of 976
Here's a visual way to get an idea about how these songs hit with Kannons... -J

Thanks for the video Jim, reminds me of a scene from Jurassic park

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #485 of 976
giphy.gif

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #486 of 976
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #489 of 976
Sorry but english isn't my native language, what's lead time ? The time to produce the unit entirely ? Does it means that someone who is ordering today will have his headphones produced in 44 days ? I ordered two weeks ago and wasn't expecting them before next year, but maybe it's going to happen in the end. Would love to grab them under the Christmas tree heh.

Also the home cinema use has been removed from the website, i think it should have stayed in the product presentation, i'm buying the Kannons mainly for this reason and i think other people will too.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #491 of 976
Sorry but english isn't my native language, what's lead time ? The time to produce the unit entirely ? Does it means that someone who is ordering today will have his headphones produced in 44 days ?

FightinJim would be able to tell you definitively, but usually in this context it means if you order today they would be ready to ship to you in approximately 44 days (barring unforeseen circumstances).

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #493 of 976
My unit was shipped along with the rest of yours (27) but is still showing as:

Your item is being held in Customs on October 3, 2017 in COVENTRY PARCELFORCE, UNITED KINGDOM.

Looks like I am being subject to import duty, will post up what I have to pay when I am notified!

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #495 of 976
My unit was shipped along with the rest of yours (27) but is still showing as:

Your item is being held in Customs on October 3, 2017 in COVENTRY PARCELFORCE, UNITED KINGDOM.

Got the same message too when i imported my Fostex TH X00 from the US, item stayed in customs 2 weeks but i didn't had any tax to pay in the end. Let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back