Tablets with USB-Audio that can handle large Hard-drives?
Dec 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

rdlhifi

New Head-Fier
Hi!

like the title says, I want to know if I can buy a Tablet (minimum size 7 inches, can be Android or else) that can be used with hdd's of say, 1tb (or greater
biggrin.gif
) to carry my music collection in my car (only wav's, no mp3 or other compressed files)

If it can manage "only" a 500gb hdd it would be fine too...but really want to max it out!

other plus (but not priority) would be Gps (software based of course, Android ones I was told have all Gps?) and maybe can also connect to the 3G mobile network, allowing me to get online pretty much anywhere, as I do with a mobile phone!

No, I'm not insane!
blink.gif
(or that's what my shrink told me yesterday after my last session) ja!

SUCH TABLET MUST EXIST! please? ANYONE?

ok, time for my red pill...or was it green? damn!

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 30
windows 8 tablets should fulfill the requirement you have , as in the actual windows 8 tablet not the rt ones

Surface should. Not enough information available...

Thanx for the inputs! ehm...any Android based ones too?
confused_face(1).gif

Should add that, after second thought, It should be a 7 or 8 inch Tablet, because 10 inch wouldn't fit after all in my car...sadly!

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 30
Remember that all those 8 inches Windows tablet has one microUSB port only. So you can either have a harddisk (assuming it will run, given how little power those USB port has) or an USB DAC, but not both unless you have an external USB hub. Another way is to have a bluetooth or WiFi supported HHD.

I actually just got an ASUS T100 myself, 32GB on board + 64GB microSD + 500GB SATA in the detachable keyboard. But it is an 10 inches and really more like a netbook.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 30
  Remember that all those 8 inches Windows tablet has one microUSB port only. So you can either have a harddisk (assuming it will run, given how little power those USB port has) or an USB DAC, but not both unless you have an external USB hub. Another way is to have a bluetooth or WiFi supported HHD.

I actually just got an ASUS T100 myself, 32GB on board + 64GB microSD + 500GB SATA in the detachable keyboard. But it is an 10 inches and really more like a netbook.

How much did you get the asus t100 for clie ? I would be visiting singapore and can probably buy stuff from malaysia as well and is looking for one of the convertibles

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 30

How much did you get the asus t100 for clie ? I would be visiting singapore and can probably buy stuff from malaysia as well and is looking for one of the convertibles

It is SG$599 in Singapore for 64GB eMMC only models, or RM$1399 in Malaysia for 32GB eMMC + 500GB SATA model. They are extremely hot right now and actually not easy to get in both countries. I have to wait for almost a week for mine. I heard the initial batch of 500 units in Malaysia was sold off in one day, similar situation in Singapore as well.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 30

It is SG$599 in Singapore for 64GB eMMC only models, or RM$1399 in Malaysia for 32GB eMMC + 500GB SATA model. They are extremely hot right now and actually not easy to get in both countries. I have to wait for almost a week for mine. I heard the initial batch of 500 units in Malaysia was sold off in one day, similar situation in Singapore as well.

thank you clie , I hope the hype (and the price) have went down when I actually arrive to buy one there (then again I am going there in the 15th)

I will have a look see on where I can find one with the below large retail store price

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 30

thank you clie , I hope the hype (and the price) have went down when I actually arrive to buy one there (then again I am going there in the 15th)

I will have a look see on where I can find one with the below large retail store price

It was just launched two weeks ago. As far as I know there is no one selling at lower than MSRP. Typically you will see lower price after 9~12 months later or when it is about to be replaced by a newer models. Of course, being so demanded isn't helping either.

Samsung 7.7 P6800 super amoled + 32 GB..
The best but haven't tried the USB out..best for movies and great battery life.
Soon I will add 64 GB micro SD.
Hope 4.4 will come to it.

I have the P6200, which is pretty much the same generation as the P6800 with a slower (but same series of Exynos 4) CPU and a smaller screen size. They even have more or less the same firmware. Both are 4.1.2 right now IIRC. The USB-out for audio doesn't work, already tried myself quite sometime ago. Didn't even work with USB Audio Recorder Pro.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 30
OK, BACK TO TOPIC PLEASE?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Sad it has a 10 inch Screen
mad.gif
but I don't mind using a USB Hub or whatever is needed to acomplish my Dreams
biggrin.gif

Btw how do YOU manage those 500gb? The Asus recognizes it without problems? Thanks
  there is a windows 8 inch tablet, the acer iconia w3/w4 is 8 inch full on windows tablet, guaranteeing compatibility with your requirement 

Thanks Retrias, will look at it!
-------------------------------------
I have a Behringer UCA202 USB Dac: it works driverless with my Win 7x64 PC (as a external Soundcard), and with my Samsung S3 Phone (through the USB-Audio feature) as a Dac (it has Optical out);
Question:
Is it possible that Win 7 (PC version) and Win 8 (Tablet version) share same cappabilities? IF SO, THE UCA202 (OR ANY USB-DAC) SHOULD ALSO WORK WITH A WIN 8 EQUIPPED TABLET CONNECTED THROUGH THE USB JACK? Someone tried this?
confused.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 30

Sad it has a 10 inch Screen
mad.gif
but I don't mind using a USB Hub or whatever is needed to acomplish my Dreams
biggrin.gif

Btw how do YOU manage those 500gb? The Asus recognizes it without problems? Thanks

Basically it sees it more or less like an USB external driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back