Tablets with USB-Audio that can handle large Hard-drives?
Dec 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #16 of 30
  as long as it is not windows RT (this is the other version of tablet windows) and written as ordinary windows , then it should have worked

Thank You for the Input Retrias!

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 30
Mixed News Guys!

The Good News is the User "Timur" posted a while ago a Rom that solves all my Desires (Gives a Tablet, in this case the Nexus 7, USB Audio and large HDD management Capabilities)

The Bad News is it works only with the 2012 version of the Tablet
angry_face.gif
and Timur is no longer Upgrading nor Supporting his Rom. If You buy a N7 (2013) It will not work. Life is unfair.

So the only Way is to buy a Used N7 (at a Inflated Price) or keep searching for another solution...
FYI, In my Country the 2013 version sells at $302, and the 2012 at $269: needless to say, its obvious an old model isn't a good boy at all. sadly.

Is there another Tablet wich supports USB Audio and (maybe) large HDD's?
Later
Daniel

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #18 of 30
Update: Bad News ahead!
mad.gif

Yesterday I kept surfing in a couple of Forums, 'til a Post catched my Atention:

"[Q] Wierd touch screen issue! (Nexus 7 2013)": WHAT?

I bursted into the Forum and read about a User having an erratic touchscreen & keyboard...Maybe a defective Unit? Can be...
2 seconds later I went Paranoid and kept reading one Complaint after another!
eek.gif

Ok, I Thought: this could be a Software Issue! Nothing that an Update can't solve! Firmware KitKat promised that.
Or not?
Further reading revealed some N7 Owners Success installing the Update, some initially solved the Issues (but after some Days the Tablet returned gradually to former State) and some still experiencing the same Problems...
angry_face.gif

Oh my God! What now?

Maybe I should return to Samsung's Line of Tablets? ok: My Goal is to have a 7 (or 8) inch Unit for Caraudio use, but I'm an Audiophile Geek, so Audio Quality Is something really important for me.
Doing my Homework I read that some Tablets come with the excellent Wolfson DAC (responsible for Audio Quality) and some with Yamaha and other Brands that are considered of inferior (audio) quality:
Samsungs Tab 7 and Tab 2 7.0 have Wolfson inside, BUT, sadly, are outdated (no longer available) AND the UsbRecorderpro site says Tab2 has Heavy (audio) glitching.
Tab 3 7.0, OTOH, has NO USB host mode (can't drive a USB device)

What?

Being frustrated now, I decided to stop buying anything until I read good Reviews about it...would hate to spend my hard earned Money to realise I got a defective or inferior sounding Tablet. I will keep using my (excellent sounding) Samsung S3 GT-I9300 until then.
Later
Daniel

May 23, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #20 of 30
My current solution is a Toshiba WT8, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD + 64GB microSD, Win8.1 running JRiver MC19, micro-USB OTG to iFi iDSD to headphone. Great for traveling. I have a special OTG cable that can charge my tablet concurrently while using the USB function. Being using it for only 2 days. Still have not find a solution to turn off the Auto-Brite function and figuring out how to turn off the screen without going into hibernation mode.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #21 of 30
  Mixed News Guys!

The Good News is the User "Timur" posted a while ago a Rom that solves all my Desires (Gives a Tablet, in this case the Nexus 7, USB Audio and large HDD management Capabilities)

The Bad News is it works only with the 2012 version of the Tablet
angry_face.gif
and Timur is no longer Upgrading nor Supporting his Rom. If You buy a N7 (2013) It will not work....

UPDATE: seems Timur realized a new ROM for the 2013 version (Paid version, Google it if you need it). I could not wait for it and bought a 2012 version and downloaded the (free) Rom: it works very well.

I just picked up the new Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 and it works with my Seagate Travel 500GB USB HD, using the OTG cable.  The tablet's stock music player can play MP3 / FLAC from the HD.

Do you play it with the onboard Speakers? For Casual listening?

My current solution is a Toshiba WT8, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD + 64GB microSD, Win8.1 running JRiver MC19, micro-USB OTG to iFi iDSD to headphone. Great for traveling. I have a special OTG cable that can charge my tablet concurrently while using the USB function. Being using it for only 2 days. Still have not find a solution to turn off the Auto-Brite function and figuring out how to turn off the screen without going into hibernation mode.

Will you use it with paired with a Home Audio System, or only for Mobile use?
Thanks Dan

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #22 of 30
Will you use it with paired with a Home Audio System, or only for Mobile use? Thanks Dan

I used it both for home and traveling needs. At home, it is a noise-free Network Music Player playing music from my NAS. iFi iDSD is a great value-for-money DAC/Headphone Amp device. Playing SACD DSD64/128/256 music fantastically.

At home, my combination is Toshiba WT8 -> iDSD -> iTube -> SS Amp (Yamaha A-S201) -> KEF LS50 speakers or Philips Fidelio X1 for private listening.

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #23 of 30
Guys:

For years a lot of Us wanted USB Audio feature right of the box from Android...well, (it seems) Google finally went the right Route and listened frustrated Android users and incorporated the functionality in the next major version of Android.
So (hopefully) by Fall we can install Android L (5) on select Devices!
The other Great new addition is Car mode (Actually I believe it will be named AndroidAuto) with features that makes using an Android Device more User-friendly in such a "Hostile" Environment like our Cars.

The only thing left to know is if it will handle large HDD's?
tongue_smile.gif

later
Dan

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #24 of 30
  The only thing left to know is if it will handle large HDD's?
size]

Yes, it can!

Non-stop folder playback with USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): Music files stored on a 2TB portable hard drive
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4710#post_10544580

Galaxy Note 3 using UAPP >> battery-powered USB hub connected to a 2TB USB hard drive "WD My Passport" >> ODAC >> Neco Soundlab V3 amp >> Mad Dog headphones

From left to right: Mad Dog headphones, Neco V3 amp, ODAC, WD My Passport hard drive, Veho Pepple battery pack, Galaxy Note 3
At the bottom: Belkin 4-port USB hub

USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) and USB Audio Recorder PRO (UARP) are functional on most Android devices, even on a cheap $40 Azpen A700 tablet:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3465#post_9991738

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #25 of 30
Good grief DanBa!  This brings to mind the time before laptops when computers were "transportable" vs. "Portable".

I admire your dedication though :)

My Build for Car (Eagerly awaiting FEDEX man)

-Acer Iconia W3 32gb + 64gb SD
*  Have a spare 128gb SSD drive I might try to put in portable enclosure
-Jriver 19 (Soon 20!)
-Schiit Modi
- Micro USB Y cable to feed extra power from adapter

> Genesis Sedan with Lexicon Audio system

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #26 of 30

Yes, it can!

Non-stop folder playback with USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): Music files stored on a 2TB portable hard drive

Thank You DanBa for the Info! I lost track of this Thread
redface.gif
and saw it again yesterday!

In the meantime I could test a Custom Rom (USB ROM) that enabled me to use a 1TB USB HDD with my Nexus 7 (wifi)! It worked!
Sadly, I sold the Tablet (with the Rom) and now own a Nexus 7 3G, but can't install this Rom anymore (it was removed from the Author's Website) so the only way left is installing Autodroid Rom. We'll see if it works like the former Rom...
confused.gif

Cheers
Dan

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #27 of 30
I have a Toshiba Thrive AT100 with full usb port + very large removable battery 8000 mamps. I play content of 1 TB HD with Neutron Music Player. Works great ....:D

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 30
I have a Toshiba Thrive AT100 with full usb port + very large removable battery 8000 mamps. I play content of 1 TB HD with Neutron Music Player. Works great ....
biggrin.gif

Thats great! Q: Have you tried to connect it into a home audio system? Does it have USB Audio out cappabilities? Thanks!

...so the only way left is installing Autodroid Rom. We'll see if it works like the former Rom...
confused.gif
Cheers
Dan

Glad to report it works great! Powersupply, USB HDD and external DAC (separately tested) are working fine! Next on my list: buying a USB Hub to use alltogether. Wish me luck (until now I didn't found a Hub that worked in REAL 2.0 speed
mad.gif
only 1.1!) Don't know if it is an Android issue or not, but searching thru 300gigs of Music is not funny with USB 1.1...

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #29 of 30
Thats great! Q: Have you tried to connect it into a home audio system? Does it have USB Audio out cappabilities? Thanks!

The AT 100 also has a full HDMI out .... I don't have a receiver for it. But HDMI audio will work ...

Dec 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #30 of 30

The AT 100 also has a full HDMI out .... I don't have a receiver for it. But HDMI audio will work ...

full HDMI out
eek.gif
(well, that's got me really jealous
biggrin.gif
) >>> rdlhifi es searching thru ebay right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back