Tablet stolen, thief identified, cops apathetic--now what?
Jul 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 16
The thing is, there's little you can do to be honest. The thief could root the device, and you don't need to be a hacker to do that, once you wipe the software there's not much left to work on android tablets in general. An email won't ever be enough to caught someone either...

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 16
My son once had a digital video camera stolen from his backpack while he was at a skateboard park. He had a really good idea of who did it, and we called the police. They came to the house, took the statement and flat told us that nothing would be done - they wouldn't even talk to the kid we believed took it. Basically, the only reason for talking to the police was to get the police report so we could turn it into the insurance.

Having something stolen is a violation of your personal space. You want to get the miscreant that did it. You d@mn sure don't want him to away with it free & clear. But that kind of thinking will just make you crazy, and it will make you do something dumb that might get you into real trouble.

Move on. Don't look back. Believe in karma and you will believe that one of these days that @sshat will make a big mistake. Or, maybe karma has an even worse plan for him - maybe he will just continue to live a worthless life stealing crumbs like a miserable sewer rat. Karma is a b!tch!!

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 16
Maybe a lawyer here can comment ... can't you file a civil suit against the thief?  EZ to do yourself pro se, since you are worried about the attorney's fee.  The court clerk is likely to be very helpful.  Many years ago I filed a real civil suit (in Philadelphia) pro se against Sears and won -- over $2K.  I only had to pay a process server to serve Sears, and that was like $100.  Of course it's easier to serve corporations (typically through some state office) than it is a person ... I don't know what process servers cost in Chicago.

There has to be a Chicago lawyer here to help.  Good luck.

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 16
This just proves how much you can trust and rely on the Web.Nothing is private or guaranteed private on it no matter who says it to you. My PC was "taken over" not by ordinary hackers but people "way above them" to stop me posting elsewhere political comments . I learned no matter how powerfull your PC or "clued up"  on digital programming in the  end you dont stand a chance from "big brother" Even left a message  to let me know it was them. I do not keep ANY personal details on my PC of ANY kind and never will .Nor will I join any of the popular "social networks" for the same reasons And I am not the only one-many Worldwide. Yes it limits my use of the Web but if you open your eyes and check on websites that are not "approved" you will be amazed at who can -wiil-and do "listen in"  

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 16
This just proves how much you can trust and rely on the Web.Nothing is private or guaranteed private on it no matter who says it to you. My PC was "taken over" not by ordinary hackers but people "way above them" to stop me posting elsewhere political comments . I learned no matter how powerfull your PC or "clued up"  on digital programming in the  end you dont stand a chance from "big brother" Even left a message  to let me know it was them. I do not keep ANY personal details on my PC of ANY kind and never will .Nor will I join any of the popular "social networks" for the same reasons And I am not the only one-many Worldwide. Yes it limits my use of the Web but if you open your eyes and check on websites that are not "approved" you will be amazed at who can -wiil-and do "listen in"  

Have you noticed any black helicopters hovering near your house?

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 16
There's nothing you can do it seems.  The cops won't do anything, and you know this guys address, but are you going to stop by?  It's not worth the risk, cut your losses and move on.  

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 16
Billybob -NO but a lot of Americans posting on the same web  site  backed up everything I said and added a lot more of information to  me personally .they have now "disappeared" from the scene. When posters round the World saw I was speaking the TRUTH I gathered a lot of people together who posted the truth also and guess what they were "attacked" as well -PCs shut down /Internet service cut -Australia /New-Zealand/ everywhere. It is obvious that you know nothing of the inner workings of any governments security services-you cant win but at least I got my message across.You notice I mentioned -the social networks- you know the ones-well surprise-surprise I got an email today from-----That's right Twitter--I do not believe in coincidence that's just an excuse for the actions of others. But what it does say is Head-Fi welds great advertising power in the World- not complaining  just complimenting them so I can understand how many advertisers like  buying space on it. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 16
Duncan's got a point, there is nothing to trust in this modern technology enriched age, with easily accessible information almost from anywhere, anything can be reverse-engineered, just rely on yourself.

As with the OP. Seem's a "dumb enduser" theif stole your tablet, as if it were somebody with a bit of brains or knowledge, a simple google to wipe the ROM completely via a flash tool even with security/pin codes, will be revoked.

Just be thankful it is just a tablet, not your credit card, debit card, bank account that has been hacked. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 16
OP, unlucky mate, i feel for u! but as others have said, brilliantly i would add, you should move on, cut losses. the deeper you dig into this, the more headache and trouble you will get. its a bitch yes, but hey that's life **** happens! treat this as a expensive, but very useful lesson (i had my lesson couple weeks back, with my broken car window and stolen sat nav, because i left the sat nav holder still stuck in the window...). but i believe karma will find its way to the thief, so don't worry; )

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 16
One thing you need to do since your personal info was on the tablet you should request a credit report from the 3 credit agencies  & look to see if anything has been applied for that you didn't apply for.You can also freeze your credit reports so no one can access them to apply for anything. Also I would suggest applying for a service that watches credit activity,Like protect my id.com
You can get 1 free credit reports once a year.
    Being a victim of identity theft I can tell you the faster you protect yourself the better.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 16
Billybob -NO but a lot of Americans posting on the same web  site  backed up everything I said and added a lot more of information to  me personally .they have now "disappeared" from the scene. When posters round the World saw I was speaking the TRUTH I gathered a lot of people together who posted the truth also and guess what they were "attacked" as well -PCs shut down /Internet service cut -Australia /New-Zealand/ everywhere. It is obvious that you know nothing of the inner workings of any governments security services-you cant win but at least I got my message across.You notice I mentioned -the social networks- you know the ones-well surprise-surprise I got an email today from-----That's right Twitter--I do not believe in coincidence that's just an excuse for the actions of others. But what it does say is Head-Fi welds great advertising power in the World- not complaining  just complimenting them so I can understand how many advertisers like  buying space on it. 

I'm not sure what all that has to do with the theft of a $500 tablet, but OK - I'll play along...

You do realize that Microsoft & Google are sending every click and keypress to the NSA, right? Oh - you use linux? That won't help - the core DNS servers and routers have all got taps that go directly to Langley. Route it all through TOR? Good luck with that - TOR was compromised long ago by the NSA, GRU & the Mossad. Darknets? Ha! Who do you think started the Darknets? What better way to keep track of all the the people that don't want to be tracked? It's just a giant honeypot. Face it - if you use any communication devices, your privacy is gone. Your only recourse is to chuck all that technology into the river and head off into the outback. Even then, the Sentinel and the Hummingbird are always watching...

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 16
Sorry for your loss of tablet... if all this is going sideways, maybe a facebook confrontation? I had a situation like this with an idevice and once I figured who had possession of it, I rounded up a group of mates and had a little face-to-face. I grew up in a part of the world where theft is dealt with violent reprisal and so it is a sore spot with me. I don't necessarily recommend you do this in person but the way things are looking, you don't seem to be getting the device back, so email them and tell them you know the details of their life and can track them down to retrieve your property. All the best.

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 16
Wow. Props on getting the information you did get. I'd say there is nothing you can do, unless you happen to catch the guy at the library on your tablet. You have the number for the tablet so as long as you could prove it was yours you might have a case. Sorry for the loss. It is best to always keep your possessions at your feet/between your feet in public places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back