Table-side music at restaurants...
Jun 16, 2006 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
Went out for dinner last night at a Russian restaurant. They had a man/woman couple performing Russian tunes in the dining area...the man was playing accordion & the woman was singing, shaking a tambourine, and keeping time with foot stomps, etc.

Instead of performing in one spot, or continuously roaming the dining area, they were basically performing a full tune at each table. I have to say it about ruined the dining experience for me. Every 20 minutes or so, they've worked their way back to my table (or near it)...and I'm forced to either ignore them or, out of politeness, awkwardly watch their performance (smiling and nodding fake approval, when basically I was hating it)...and either way they're standing there looking at ME through the whole tune...bleh, I hated it.

What do you think about table-side music at restaurants? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Peace,

Graz

Jun 16, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 27
What? Table-side music? Perhaps you haven't been informed, but here in America we have things called speakers. And they're often made by companies called Bose. I'd consider it a pleasure to see live entertainment at a restaurant, or at least where I live.

Jun 16, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 27
table-side music is a relic and should be abolished! That being said, the very best meals are eaten in a jazz cafe with a good 3-piece.

Jun 16, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 27
Ive never had the experience... at least not table-side.

I can't imagine it would be an enjoyable experience though. Most wind instruments (for example) can be obnoxiously loud in person at point blank range.

if it were dreamtheater I'd buy them dinner and a beer
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 27
Table side music is great.
I prefer having live music anytime over no music.

Jun 16, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 27
Live music in a restaurant is great, but I don't think I would like having the performers walk up next to my table for any longer than a minute or two. I can't say I've experienced the 20 minute table side treatment yet (thank goodness).

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 27
A small tip and a word to the Maitre'd, the first time they came around, would have had them skip your table for the rest of the night. It has worked every time I didn't want the disturbance.

I like table-side music usually, but sometimes it is not appreciated.

Jun 16, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 27
There's nothing wrong with a little live music during dinner, but I think the restaurant you went to figured out how to screw it up
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 27
It depends. If you are in the mood for the live performance just for you and your party at your table AND how good the performance is. Sometime I appreciate it and there is times I don't.

Once I was eating dinner at a decent French restaurant with my wife at Montreal, Canada few years ago and there was a musician performed a violin solo for us. This guy was awesome and nailed every single note. FYI, he played Par una cabeza.
icon10.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 27
i prefer something like Casa la Femme... recline on pillows in your own little tent, every now and then a belly dancer shows up to wriggle around a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 27
A roving violinist is ok, because they're not standing next to your table for lengthy intervals. What was described in the OP would have me seriously honked off. Accordians can be quite loud, not to mention the fact that accordians can be pretty annoying anyway. I would definitely have been looking for a way to keep them away from my table.

Jun 16, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 27
I took my wife out for our 5th anniversary to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and I had the guy playing the violin come over and play "The Anniversary Song" (or whatever) for her. That was a HUGE win for me and the emotional bank account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back