table radios
Nov 30, 2001 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 44
I've been enjoying the Tivoli 1 for about a year now. Cobalt and cherry. Great look, great sound. The tuner is absurdly good for a table radio. The touch on the tuning dial is great as well.

All in all, I guess it's ok . . . . Just kidding! And for $99 it's absurdly good. Ol' Henry knows what he's doin'. He always has . . .

Nov 30, 2001 at 7:21 AM Post #17 of 44
All this talk has got me wanting one
wink.gif
I may ask for one for Xmas. Unfortunately, the color I want is the color of the Model Two (the stereo model)!

Nov 30, 2001 at 2:02 PM Post #18 of 44
I'm guessing that the CC Radio that kwkarth recommends does not have a stereo audio out. I'm looking for a radio with strong tuner (don't want external antenna) to pick up some FM inside an office building that I can plug into my portable headphone amp when I feel like it.

Nov 30, 2001 at 2:16 PM Post #19 of 44
Actually, the current version does have stereo out for headphones as well as line in and line out monophonically.

I have both versions of the radio and find the Stereo version slightly more susceptable to multipath distortion as one would expect, but still superior to any other radio I have in all respects of FM and AM reception.

The receiver works so well in fact that I NEVER and I mean NEVER have to even raise the antenna at all to receive all the stations in this area, yet when I do raise the antenna, the front end does not overload and everything is still gangbusters. I have no other radio that functions this well.

Most other radios of the portable ilk will not receive all local stations with the antenna down and yet when I put the antenna up they overload and I get multiple images, etc. This thing just simply works!

The new model has superior tone as well. 5" speaker, seperate bass and treble controls, weather and TV reception as well as superior FM/AM reception. It's really a nice piece. Very substantial, well built.

I doubt anyone would be disappointed with this radio. I'm by far, the pickiest person I know, and I love both of the ones I have. I am delighted with them in fact. I cannot say that about many products I own. The old one I've had for a couple years and the new one for six months or so.

Happy Listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2001 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 44
hey kwkarth:

the line out is mono.
but the headphone is stereo.
could I run the headphone out to my PortaCorda?
what do you think?

Nov 30, 2001 at 5:14 PM Post #22 of 44
Kevin, apart from the fact that it's not really a "table" radio
biggrin.gif
I'm interested in that CC Radio. But to be honest, I'm having a hard time believing it can compete with the Tivoli/Kloss radio, considering all the raves the Model One has received (including quite a few from people who don't like radio
wink.gif
) I've also not heard much about C. Crane.

Have you heard the Tivoli and compared it to the CC? I'm curious how the two would fare side-by-side. I'm also considering the Tivoli Model Two (the stereo version).

Quote:

I'm guessing that the CC Radio that kwkarth recommends does not have a stereo audio out. I'm looking for a radio with strong tuner (don't want external antenna) to pick up some FM inside an office building that I can plug into my portable headphone amp when I feel like it.

Take a look at the Tivoli/Kloss Model Two:

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/pm2tpe.htm

It has both headphone out and stereo line-out.

Quote:

No, you don't want to run a headphone amp from a headphone jack. Very bad idea
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by johnnylexus
hey kwkarth:

the line out is mono.
but the headphone is stereo.
what do you think?

Yes, you can, but the quality will suffer from the extra stages of amplification. Let me look in the book and verify that the line out is only mono. You could also call CCRane (800 number) and ask them. Did you read their write up on their web site? There have been a number of independant reviews. Of course what the heck do I know?
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2001 at 2:23 AM Post #24 of 44
MacDef, why do you say it is not really a table radio?

Dec 1, 2001 at 4:30 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

MacDef, why do you say it is not really a table radio?

It just seems much more like a portable radio than a "table" radio. When I think of "table" radios, I think of radios that are intended to be stationary (Model 88, Model One, Model Two, Bose Wave, etc.). That CC radio seems more like my Sony portable AM/FM/Weather/TV radio.

Don't worry, it wasn't an insult
wink.gif

P.S. I went to Good Guys today and looked at the Tivoli radios in person. They're MUCH smaller than they look on the web! But they do sound pretty nice -- good midrange and treble, but more bass than I expected from a 3" speaker. The "feel" of the tuning knob is *very* sweet (it has a 5:1 gear ratio). Very pleasing. I liked the Model Two (the stereo version) better. Besides stereo sound, it also gives you aux in, stereo headphone out, line-out, and "mix" input (for a computer -- both the radio/aux and the computer play at the same time).

Dec 1, 2001 at 7:04 AM Post #26 of 44
I never meant to imply the Tivoli was anything but a very sweet radio in all respects because it is. The reason I brought op the CCRadio is because I'm a confirmed gadget nut and like more features. The performance of the CCRadio is bar none the best there is and it happens to be almost twice the size of the Tivoli, so it's actually more at home on the table than the Tivoli!
smily_headphones1.gif
It does have a built in handle too so you can carry it easily from room to room. It has AC powersupply built in and also runs about 400 hours on internal 4 D batteries. It has a nice back lit screen and the tuning dial is almost as smooth as analog.

So it's a matter of preference. If you want a simple, no frills good performing table radio, get the Tivoli, if you want all the other bells and whistles too, get the CCRadio.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2001 at 7:20 AM Post #27 of 44
BTW, I checked and the line out on the CCRadio+ is in fact Stereo!! I plugged it into an amp and it works!!

Dec 1, 2001 at 7:50 AM Post #28 of 44
i really like my CCRadio and listen to it daily...it is a superb performer particularly if you like AM talk shows. the weather alert alarm works well but i had to turn it off because it would sometimes go off on its own...believe me the alarm will shatter any kidney stones you might have especially when it goes off at 4:00AM...it does play in FM stereo through headphones and such...its a bit pricey but well worth it to me...

Dec 1, 2001 at 8:25 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

and it happens to be almost twice the size of the Tivoli

Really?! Wow, It looked tiny in the picture
wink.gif

But what about more info, Kevin? I asked for info above!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

By the way, for those interested, I found a very comprehensive "Table Radio" review comparing the Bose Wave, CSW Model 88, and Tivoli Model One:

http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/conel/tabrads/index.htm

After checking the Model One and Model Two out today at Good Guys, I'm leaning more and more towards the Model Two, just so I can use headphones and my JMT with it, and also use it as computer speakers.

Dec 1, 2001 at 8:47 AM Post #30 of 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back