table radios
Dec 1, 2001 at 8:55 AM Post #31 of 44
OK, now you're being stubborn
tongue.gif
I meant I wanted to hear some more of your own opinions -- I value those more than a PR sheet
wink.gif

Have you heard any of the other radios being discussed here? Squirt, how about you?

Dec 1, 2001 at 9:05 AM Post #32 of 44
I wasn't trying to be stubborn, just lazy
biggrin.gif

Yes, I've heard the Tivoli, the Cambridge, the Bose.. What are your criteria for a radio and in what order and I'll rate what I've heard by that criteria.

Dec 1, 2001 at 5:26 PM Post #33 of 44
Thx
wink.gif

Well, I have to say that I really like the look of the Tivolis. But as for features, I'm mainly looking for reception quality and sound. I already have a multi-band radio that does weather bands, etc, so I'm not too concerned with bells and whistles. This is going to be a nice desk radio for an office (it's actually a gift... but if I like it I may end up getting myself one later
wink.gif
).

I was very impressed with the tuning ability of the Tivoli -- in the basement floor of the Good Guys megastore, with no external antennae, I was pulling in stations I have trouble getting at home. I'm assuming, from your posts, that the CC also gets very good receiption.

Also, is there anything I haven't considered yet? (Anything you really love your CC for?)

Thanks, Kev!

Dec 1, 2001 at 5:52 PM Post #34 of 44
I haven't tested the reception of the Tivoli although I have read that the FM reception is good. The reception on the CCis exceptional and the main reason I bought the first one. I was so delighted with every aspect of the radio for a year that when they came out with a new improved model I bought it and have been delighted with it. I found the invoice tucked in the manual and I guess I bought this thing September 5th. Seems like I've had it longer than that, but I guess not. Anyway, I use it all the time and like everything about it. The tone is great, the reception is awesome on AM and FM. I use one in the bedroom as my alarm clock and radio there. The new one I carry from room to room while I'm listening to radio programs, typically on PBS.

By the way, MacDef, read theis thread in its entirety and I think you'll see what it is that I like about the CCRadio.

Well, there you have it!

Happy Listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2001 at 9:23 PM Post #37 of 44
OK, yet another tidbit I found.

The CC Radio is actually co-designed and made by Sangean (which would help explain the excellent reception kwkarth has reported)!

Dec 2, 2001 at 10:47 PM Post #38 of 44
I haven't had a chance to listen to any of the other radios mentioned. i thought about getting the cambridge radio but since i have the CCRadio i decided against it. From what i remember Chris Justice and Bob Crane of the C Crane co. (hence CC) designed the radio for maximum performance particulalry in the AM band in both reception and voice quality and their close relationship with the Sangean company made their "dream" radio a reality. my version has a jack to plug it into a portable solar panel to recharge 4 D batteries or just to run the radio in the sun. i also have a Sangean ATS 909 shortwave radio which keeps me in touch with the world.

Dec 5, 2001 at 9:40 AM Post #39 of 44
Just a follow-up: I got the woman in my life a Tivoli Model Two; it was a good unit, plus it looks great.

Anyways, I've been trying it out myself tonight before she takes it to work
wink.gif
I must say, I'm *very* impressed. The reception on this thing is nothing short of amazing. We live in an area that has horrible frequency bleed, due to our proximity to the major broadcasting towers in SF. We also live in an area where due to hills, weaker stations in the area don't come in well at all. But the Tivoli pulls in the weak stations, and easily selects and isolates adjacent stations (so it has great sensitivity *and* selectivity). And the kicker... all of this without even attaching an antenna yet.

The build quality is top notch. The main unit is 4.5 x 8.375 x 5.25, and looks even smaller, but it's over 5 pounds. The wood is real, and solid. The controls have a very pleasing feel -- the 5:1 gear on the tuner makes it the smoothest tuner I've ever used, and there is a nice warm amber light that glows faint or bright depending on how well a station is tuned. Not a big deal, but a very nice touch.

The Model two features line-in and mix-in jacks. The line-in can be used by switching to "AUX," while the mix-in is always live, for use with a computer. It also has a line-out, headphone out, and subwoofer out (Tivoli makes a matching sub). The headphone out is surprisingly good -- it doesn't seem like an afterthought. I also used it with Etys and my JMT amp, and it sounded great for radio.

As for the sound, it's much better than I expected, but also different. The sound is much warmer than I expected, and has more bass. Each of the enclosures are ported, so you get a little of the "boom" that comes with ported designs. Treble is good, but a tiny bit rolled off. At first I thought I wasn't going to like the sound, but after listening to it for five hours tonight, I noticed something: I wasn't tired of listening and I didn't get fatiqued. Radio has a tendency to do this to me, even on a good system. But the Tivoli's sound was warm in a good, listen-for-a-long-time way.

Overall, I'm really liking this thing, and now I want one for myself
wink.gif

Picture and info here:
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/pm2tpe.htm

Dec 5, 2001 at 2:48 PM Post #40 of 44
Outstanding! Congrats. I appreciate the info.
Happy listening!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #41 of 44
MacDEF, you're right about the bass boom in the Tivoli, and yeah, the reception is awesome. The sound is really clear and you get a great tuner - a stereo system for under $200.
But the irony is, most people won't buy the Tivoli for its sound quality. I think the biggest selling point of the Tivoli for most people is its looks. Everyone I've showed mine to agrees: the wood looks awesome, and the tuning knob is first-rate. Of course, it's kinda sad that they didn't even notice my beloved Perreaux amp and the Senn 600s it was driving
frown.gif

I would start a Bose post so I could vent some steam about the WaveRadio, but flame wars take away time I could be listening to music.

Jan 22, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #42 of 44
Hello, I own both the Cambridge Model 88 and Tivoli Model One radios. Both of these units have very good FM reception, but mediocre AM reception. The CCRadio, on the other hand, was specifically designed for excellent AM reception and is especially adept at reproducing the human voice.

There is a comparative review of the two Kloss radios and the Bose Wave radio at www.geek.com. The Bose is obviously a lifestyle item with a lofty price tag. But even with the Kloss radios, you have to be realistic about what to expect. You get solid build quality, good FM reception, punchy bass (Model 88) and a pleasing tonal balance. However, even a stereo radio such as the Model 88 cannot offer a soundstage or imaging with its fixed speakers that are 6" apart. And you cannot expect extended frequency response at either end from their speakers.

Short answer:
Best AM - CCRadio
Best bass + stereo + remote - Model 88
Smallest + retro cool - Model One

Users who are viewing this thread

Back