table radios
Nov 23, 2001 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi ll;

this is sorta (well, very) off topic, but can any of you recommend a table radio? just need something for the kitchen. Not looking for audiophile sound, but would like something better than the clock radios at walmart, and no room for a minisystem.

The Kloss Model One looks nice and retro simple. Mono is fine.

Any experience with this?

If it has headphone jack that would make this on topic...

matthew

Nov 23, 2001 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 44
Not only does it look nice, it sounds GREAT, considering the size. I got one for my son when he bought his co-op in Manhattan. A friend of mine came along to help him move and we set up the Kloss radio in the living room (about 500 square feet with high ceilings.) My friend, my son, and myself were all amazed at the room filling sound quality of this thing.....and it had decent bass, to boot! Highly recommended. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2001 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 44
The Kloss Model One is *very* nice. It also looks very retro-cool
wink.gif

[EDIT: added the URL for the Tivoli Model One -- cool colors now!]

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/

Another good choice is also by Henry Kloss, the Model 88 (the 88 also comes in a CD version):

http://www.hifi.com/products/product...=1006574060188

http://www.hifi.com/products/product...=1006574060196

Finally, Cambridge SoundWorks also makes a really nice line of "minisystems" that are all based on the same tiny CD/radio, but vary in the speakers that come with it (all are excellent for their price):

http://www.hifi.com/main/category.js...=1006574210724

P.S. Avoid the Bose "Wave Radio" at all costs
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2001 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 44
Nov 26, 2001 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 44
hey kwkarth:

do you know of a radio that can pick up FM stations inside brick and /or metal office buildings without having to use an external antenna?

Bob

Nov 26, 2001 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 44
I know of nothing that will defeat the laws of physics, but the CCRadio comes pretty close!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 44
I have the Tivoli radio on my kitchen table. Sounds good, and no extra, unneeded features. Highly recommended for $99.

Russ "The Peripatetic Audiophile"

Nov 27, 2001 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 44
The Tivoli is definitely the best minimalist approach, but if you want better performance and features, I know of nothing that beats the CCRadio Plus+. Personally, I gotta have both!
biggrin.gif

That's probably I ended up with so many pairs of headphones! There's a place for the Tivoli and there's a place for two CCRadios at my house.
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 44
Does the Koss radio (Tivoli Audio) have a headphone jack or a line out? Can the signal be run through a headphone amp? Thanks.
confused.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Does the Koss radio (Tivoli Audio) have a headphone jack or a line out?

First off, I believe it's Kloss, not Koss. And yes, there is a headphone jack AND audio output jacks.

Nov 28, 2001 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 44
Although the standard Tivoli has only mono headphone jack and audio out jack. The stereo version (Model Two) has stereo for both. I'm seriously looking at that thing for my desk
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 44
Another one to consider is the Sangean clock radio. I have one bedside, which i feed to a Songistx computer speaker system (flat panel satellites adn a subwoofer). THe sound is great , has headphone stereo output and a minijack input ( i feed a pcdp though a Cal dac into the clock radio, then the speakers). Amazing sound quality.

Nov 28, 2001 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 44
Thanks, Joelongwood. (Actually, I knew it was a Kloss, but I was typing so fast that something got Klost in the interpretation. You know how it is.)

Nov 30, 2001 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 44
I found that it's very important to get a decent "f" cable for the antenna.The one I picked up is from Lowes(Hardware),an AR,around $20 for a 6ft.In fact,I found that it picked up the hard to get stations not even hooked up to the antenna.Also,I had to special order a 1/8" to 2 RCAs Y cable from Recotron(AR) to hook up to my integrated amp.At first I bought a $7.99 gold tip Radio Shack "Y" cable,and soon replaced it with the better AR.I'm 70 miles from D.C.Saturday night I picked up a broadcast of a Jazz performance live from the Kennedy Center.It sounded great.At least as good as a budget cd player.Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back