T1 + StageDAC + CONCERTO/WA3 ?
Dec 8, 2010 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

akart

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I am planning to pull the trigger on a T1 + STAGEDAC + either a CONCERTO or a WA3 with NOS tubes upgrade. Any suggestions?

Of course, I think in part this is about whether one prefers SS or Tube, but I've heard great things about the Concerto's low noise floor and detail reproduction capability. The Woo3 probably does not have this level of resolution, especially since the noise floor on the Concerto is so low.

Is there any consensus opinion on which is a better amp? Please note that I cannot go in for a WA2 since it is over my budget.

Thanks,
AJ

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 13
Hi akart!

GreatDane is very happy with his WA3 / T1 combo - just check out his posts :)

Check out this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/517517/beyerdynamics-t1-amplification-thread

Myself - I just ordered a WA2 for my T1's... Hope that solves my issues with brightness. I can at least recommend that you do not get the Grace m902 - too bright (but perfect with HD650). On my Naim Headline T1 is good .- but still I feel it can be bettered. So a WA2 might do it?

WA3 is the little brother of WA2 - they are both OTL constructions, WA6 and the other Woos are transformer coupled. Don't ask me what it means - but mr skylab insists that OTL's are best for high imp phones. Also - High imp cans supposedly needs high voltage swings (which tube's are better at) - but I haven't yet gotten my first tube amp - so I'll leave it to others to elaborate/correct me :)

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 13
I am also looking at the Concerto and StageDAC. I plan on ordering tomorrow. I am still doing some last minute reasearch in other amps and dacs but so far I can't find any reason not to buy them.

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 13
I did a ton of research too. This seems to be my general feeling:

1. Go for a tube amp. There is no consensus opinion on how things sound. Some like it, some don't. Some suggest that even the likes of the WA2 don't sound great with stock tubes, and you have to tube-roll, and get a bunch of upgrades for them to sound fine. Also tube rolling could become expensive, especially matched tubes etc. are required. Moreover, there are other issues such as hum, maybe the requirement of installing dampers etc., isolating it from nearby RF and others. On the plus side, you can do a lot of customization, and also the sound is more "warm and musical". If I had more $$ and also open to the possibility that the sound might not be the greatest once or twice (before tube rolling for example), I would go in for a tube amp.

2. Go for an SS amp. Since there are less customization options available here, it seems there is more of a consensus opinion on this front. Common complains include the sound not "musical" enough. The Concerto is one of the few SS amps I found where people did not complain about this and surprisingly said the sound could be quite like "that from tubes." Also, generally people seem to be very happy with it. Also, if you buy the combo, Jan gives a discount. Also, no issues such as those mentioned above with tubes. One other thing is the balanced ground, with many people swearing that it is the blackest background that they have experienced.

Quote:
I am also looking at the Concerto and StageDAC. I plan on ordering tomorrow. I am still doing some last minute reasearch in other amps and dacs but so far I can't find any reason not to buy them.

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 13
the T1 is excellent.
as is the stagedac.

i wish i could say i've heard the concerto.  that is the one link in your new system that i haven't heard.
but, i'm sure you will dig it.

the T1 isn't all that hard to drive.

i personally like the headphone with powerful tube amplification.  but, the difference is subtle... 
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 13
Dec 15, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back