T-PEOS H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid Impressions and Appreciation Thread
Jun 23, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #526 of 622
For the last two weeks I've been using the H-300 with the Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC/Amp. Aside from the noise floor, which I find to be minimal - only noticeable between tracks or with very quiet music - the sound is absolutely incredible. I have gotten used to the highs with the H-300 so I don't feel the need to EQ. Using Comply foam also tones down the treble. The Theorem 720 is fairly neutral so it doesn't change the signature of the H-300, it just seems to extends the range, particularly the lows and increase sound stage.
The Theorem 720 has two ports: 3.5 mm and a balanced port (RSA) which has a more powerful amp than the single ended. I want to get a balanced RSA connector for the H-300. Has anymore converted their T-Peos cable (I think it needs 4 wires instead of 3 to take advantage of RSA)? Or has anyone had a balanced cable made for the H-300?

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #527 of 622
For the last two weeks I've been using the H-300 with the Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC/Amp. Aside from the noise floor, which I find to be minimal - only noticeable between tracks or with very quiet music - the sound is absolutely incredible. I have gotten used to the highs with the H-300 so I don't feel the need to EQ. Using Comply foam also tones down the treble. The Theorem 720 is fairly neutral so it doesn't change the signature of the H-300, it just seems to extends the range, particularly the lows and increase sound stage.
The Theorem 720 has two ports: 3.5 mm and a balanced port (RSA) which has a more powerful amp than the single ended. I want to get a balanced RSA connector for the H-300. Has anymore converted their T-Peos cable (I think it needs 4 wires instead of 3 to take advantage of RSA)? Or has anyone had a balanced cable made for the H-300?

Following the thread since day one, no-one has done that with H-300 (well not reported here)

If you find out a way of doing so please let me know either here or via PM. H-300  having detachable cables would allow us to use both methods quite easily and I just purchased a Hifiman HM700 which only supports balanced HO.

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #528 of 622
Following the thread since day one, no-one has done that with H-300 (well not reported here)

If you find out a way of doing so please let me know either here or via PM. H-300  having detachable cables would allow us to use both methods quite easily and I just purchased a Hifiman HM700 which only supports balanced HO.

I will. I sent an email to Sunggoo at T-Peos asking him if the cables have 3 or 4 wires, if T-Peos could make a balanced cable, or if T-Peos could sell me just the connectors so I could commission someone to make a cable.

A couple months ago I had Sunricky, an eBay cable maker in Hong Kong, make a silver cable with a mic remote (before I bought the Theorem 720). The sound was not a good as the stock H-300 cables - brighter and lacking in bass - so I would be hesitant to have him make a balanced cable, but he let me return the cable and perhaps the sound issues were due to the mic remote (the wires need to be a higher gauge to fit through the mic remote). If I can't find anyone else to do it I may try Sunricky again. I am in contact with Brian Goto at BTG Audio and if the T-Peos cables have 4 wires he thinks he can do it. He was less interested in making a cable with just the T-Peos connectors. I will also try Forza Audio in Poland who makes quality, affordable cables if BTG audio is a no go.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #529 of 622
I will. I sent an email to Sunggoo at T-Peos asking him if the cables have 3 or 4 wires, if T-Peos could make a balanced cable, or if T-Peos could sell me just the connectors so I could commission someone to make a cable.

A couple months ago I had Sunricky, an eBay cable maker in Hong Kong, make a silver cable with a mic remote (before I bought the Theorem 720). The sound was not a good as the stock H-300 cables - brighter and lacking in bass - so I would be hesitant to have him make a balanced cable, but he let me return the cable and perhaps the sound issues were due to the mic remote (the wires need to be a higher gauge to fit through the mic remote). If I can't find anyone else to do it I may try Sunricky again. I am in contact with Brian Goto at BTG Audio and if the T-Peos cables have 4 wires he thinks he can do it. He was less interested in making a cable with just the T-Peos connectors. I will also try Forza Audio in Poland who makes quality, affordable cables if BTG audio is a no go.

IMO, silver cables bring forward a brighter sound signature with leaner bass. For something which is already bright like the H300, you should try out copper cable.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #530 of 622
Before hearing the H300, I have been enjoying the cold and analytical sound coming from the Hifiman re0. So my very first impression of the H300 when I put them on was like "wow, these are quite WARM sounding". Because I was not very used to the warm sounding signiture so I left the H300 on the desk and did not touch it for a day or 2. After a couple of days time, I decided to listen to them again to give them another chance and also tried to AB it with the re0. To my surprise, I actually PREFERRED the warmer sounding signiture of the H300 than the re0.

The highes on the H300 are very detailed and I did not find the treble harsh at all. The mids/vocals are awesome, love the intimacy of the sound. Initially I thought the bass was a bit boomy and lack of control. However, they sound great now IMO. They are also very quick and with many songs I can actually feel the dual BA drivers working and pumping hard in my ears lol, quite amazing.

The most WOWing factor of the H300 I got to say is its SOUNDSTAGE. It is AMAZINGLY ""WIDE"". I remember letting a fellow Headfier audition to it for the first time and his first reaction was " WOW...this thing has an AMAZING soundstage".

Being a soundstage whore like myself, I just had to buy one of these bad boys and I have not regretted since. I abosolutely LOVE these IMEs and I am looking forward to the future release of the newer models!

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #531 of 622
Sorry about the wait, here's some pictures of my new eartips.

MeElectronic        Right          Left     T-Peos H-300 (small)    

Same as above

Double Flange,  Triple Flange, Triple Flange (small), Small

Overall, my impressions are fairly positive, I like the triple flange moreso than the monster triple flange, they're much more sturdy. The Double flange is just ridiculously big. The single flanges are great though, they're a little taller and a little less wide. So they keep the base of the H-300 from hitting your ear, meaning they're more comfortable in the long run. The bore is larger, which helps the bass a little bit, by making it so that the waves don't bounce as much on the tip, so it ends up being a little faster. Also, imo they give better isolation.

Anyway my Comply Tx-400 arrived today! I'll try them out later.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #533 of 622
You might of heard me say previously T-PEOS have been working on something new.

I got word 2 days ago it's been completed. 

Highly suggest H-300 fans check it out. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724546/new-t-peos-alton200-3-way-hybrid-introduction-high-end-sound-cheap-as-chips

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #534 of 622
  You might of heard me say previously T-PEOS have been working on something new.

I got word 2 days ago it's been completed. 

Highly suggest H-300 fans check it out. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724546/new-t-peos-alton200-3-way-hybrid-introduction-high-end-sound-cheap-as-chips

I deliberated for weeks over whether to get the XBA-H3, DN2000 or H300... Ended up with the XBA-H3, which I'm loving, but as soon as I saw that the Alton200 was basically a no frills H300 with a slightly warmer signature I couldn't resist. Already put my preorder in.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #535 of 622
Jun 26, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #536 of 622
Is it considered as an upgrade to the H300 and with different sound signature? Interesting..

Different signature, though still withholding same 'high end' level sound H-300 was(is) capable of. 

Quote:

I deliberated for weeks over whether to get the XBA-H3, DN2000 or H300... Ended up with the XBA-H3, which I'm loving, but as soon as I saw that the Alton200 was basically a no frills H300 with a slightly warmer signature I couldn't resist. Already put my preorder in.

I hope you like it, I use mine with either Clip Zip or DX50. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #537 of 622
Can someone help me to pick a pair of headphone with similar(or better) sound signature of H300? Here is the list of limitations -

1. < 500 USD
2. Should be closed and preferably over-ear models
3. Should be able to driven by mobile players 
4. Mainly for outdoors and office, so decent sound isolation is desired

A little smoother or warmer than H-300 is also fine. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #538 of 622
Can someone help me to pick a pair of headphone with similar(or better) sound signature of H300? Here is the list of limitations -

1. < 500 USD
2. Should be closed and preferably over-ear models
3. Should be able to driven by mobile players 
4. Mainly for outdoors and office, so decent sound isolation is desired

A little smoother or warmer than H-300 is also fine. 

Homestly, I just bought the Focal Spirit Classic and it sounds a lot like what you described there. It's a lot less than your budget though, it's only about $300.

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #539 of 622
Homestly, I just bought the Focal Spirit Classic and it sounds a lot like what you described there. It's a lot less than your budget though, it's only about $300.

Thanks for a quick reply. But I heard the ear cavity of these cans is small so they don't cover your ears full, and sound isolation is bad too. 
I tried the momentum over-ears in a istore,but the sound was too anemic to my taste. May be a mobile amp can correct that problem, not sure. otherwise they're awesome in all other aspects. Fit, looks, isolation everything. 

Anymore suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back