T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
May 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #826 of 2,595
i guess this was H20Fidelity review because i never wrote a review and posted just my humble opinion and how my ears enjoy these :)

but thanks for kind words

I definitely read that review, but no, your comments in this thread pushed me over the line. :)

May 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #827 of 2,595
Quote:
d marc0 - I'm interested in comparison of the XBA 3 to the H200!

I've finally done my prep for the comparison... I'll post my conclusions this weekend.

Quote:
Some changes in my impressions now that my honeymoon with the DX210 is over:

After proper A/B comparison with the XBA3, I now find this a lot darker than my previous impression. Not that it's bad but some won't surely like this signature. It still is a FUN bassy IEM that is amazing with EDM and bright sounding Rock songs. On top of that, this is the most relaxing IEM I've tried/owned.

After modding my XBA3 by changing the filter, the Sony is now back on my top list. It's like a 2nd honeymoon with this amazingly detailed IEM. Everything is now well controlled especially the highs.

Now I'm back in my search for an affordable yet worthy upgrade to the XBA3. I'm sure it will be discovered in this thread very soon...

Now that I have the T-PEOS H-200 I've been prepping for a comparison with the XBA3. I had a filter mod on the XBA3 and found it too warm sounding compared to the H200 thus making the Sony sound inferior. So I decided to remove my filter mod to give XBA 3 some leverage and become a worthy contender against the H200s. I also ordered 3 sets of Comply Tsx200 (pictured below) and installed it on the XBA 3 with NO filter. My main reason for this is for protection against dust/dirt/earwax.

To my surprise, the XBA 3 sounds great with this setup! More airy, clear and open sounding. Soundstage has improved drastically. One disadvantage though is it's now very transparent and occasionally sibilant depending on the recording. If the song is badly mixed/mastered, the XBA 3 does not hesitate in exposing the flaws.     

Now that the XBA 3 sounds more competitive, I'll start doing an A/B comparison with the H-200. I'll post my conclusion this weekend.

Update: 31/05/13
After removing the filter mod and despite the Comply Tsx-200, the metallic tinker in the upper highs became bothersome at high volumes.

So, I installed another filter mod but VERY THIN this time. I took the foam off one of the Sony Hybrid Noise Isolating tips: cut and shaped them into really thin (1.5 mm thick) filters. Results are spectacular: greatly reduced the metallic tinker without affecting the clarity in the highs. I'm really happy with them. XBA 3 + 1.5mm foam filter mod + Comply Tsx-200 = Awesometacular!

I'm gonna have a hard time with this comparison...

May 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #828 of 2,595
Quote:
To my surprise, the XBA 3 sounds great with this setup! More airy, clear and open sounding. Soundstage has improved drastically.

Awesome! No need for those H-200's now, and I assume that you will be wanting to sell them. PM me...
wink.gif

May 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #829 of 2,595
Quote:

Awesome! No need for those H-200's now, and I assume that you will be wanting to sell them. PM me...
wink.gif

lol! We'll have to see this weekend...

Damn, these Sony's could've been awesome if the Highs were more refined! Guess we now know which IEM wins in the HIGHS section 
wink.gif

May 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #830 of 2,595
Quote:

lol! We'll have to see this weekend...

Damn, these Sony's could've been awesome if the Highs were more refined! Guess we now know which IEM wins in the HIGHS section 
wink.gif

No no no.. you just didn't do the dental floss mod on the xba3's. Makes the highs way more refined than the H-200's.
My PM is still open...
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #831 of 2,595

It has begun... comparison coming soon!

For those who currently own the XBA-3 and H-200:
Did you guys notice how similar in sound signature these two are?

Update: 31/05/13
After removing the filter mod and despite the Comply Tsx-200, the metallic tinker in the upper highs became bothersome at high volumes.

So, I installed another filter mod but VERY THIN this time. I took the foam off one of the Sony Hybrid Noise Isolating tips: cut and shaped them into really thin (1.5 mm thick) filters. Results are spectacular: greatly reduced the metallic tinker without affecting the clarity in the highs. I'm really happy with them. XBA 3 + 1.5mm foam filter mod + Comply Tsx-200 = Awesometacular!

May 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #832 of 2,595
So i've had these for a while now and I can say that they are almost exactly what I wanted when I upgraded from my brainwavz b2.  I wanted something that was warmer but still had the clarity of the b2's.  The h-200's are exactly what I was looking for.  Currently I listen it from my s2 and a c&c and they are awesome :)  Really glad that i jump on the pre-order deal.

May 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #833 of 2,595
Quote:
XBA 3 + 1.5mm foam filter mod + Comply Tsx-200 = Awesometacular!  

He he he... your H-200's are mine.. all mine!!!

May 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #835 of 2,595
COMPARISON: T-PEOS H-200 vs SONY XBA-3ip

My H-200 was burned-in for 60+ hours; drastic changes were in Bass (tamed down and fuller) and Highs (a lot smoother compared to Out-of-the-box). Entire presentation became more balanced vs the slightly warm signature during out-of-the-box performance.

SETUP:

H-200 + stock clear silicone tips (small) + black cable with mic/remote
XBA-3ip + 1.5mm foam filter mod + Comply Tsx-200 tips (medium)
Source: Apple iPod Touch 5th Gen
No Amp was used because both IEMs sounded great plugged directly to the iPod Touch. As a matter of fact, the Sony XBA 3 is harder to drive than the H-200. So, volume setting is different for each IEM to reach equal loudness: H-200 = 65% / XBA-3ip = 75%

Tracks Used:
David Guetta - She Wolf (feat Sia)
Britney Spears - Till the World Ends
Jennifer Lopez - Dance Again (feat Pitbull)
Tool - Schism
Pantera - Domination
Live - All Over You
Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana (remastered version)
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
Pink - Get This Party Started

SOUND COMPARISON

BASS
         The H-200 bass kicks sounded a tad bit hollow when listening at lower volumes but when set higher (65%) it becomes a lot fuller and well textured. Mid bass is very clean and detailed equal to the Sony's. Sub bass quantity is equal to the XBA 3 but the H-200 is a tad bit fuller and textured because of the Dynamic driver characteristic. The XBA 3 on the other hand has more punch and impact at lower volumes but when both IEMs are set at higher volume, the difference becomes negligible. In terms of speed: the Sony is definitely unbeatable but if I wasn't comparing, I didn't find the H-200 slow at all. As a matter of fact, the H-200 handles heavy metal double bass kicks fairly well. As a conclusion, the XBA 3 performs better at low volume; at higher volume, both IEMs are equal. The XBA 3 wins by a tiny weenie margin.
         UPDATE 02/06/13: So I tried using the RED cable for the first time and I must admit; I didn't expect the change would be that drastic. Bass is so much fuller and has stronger impact even at lower volumes. The "hollow" sound bass kicks at lower volume are gone which means somehow (I THINK) the red cable has less resistance than the black cable w/ remote. With this new discovery in mind, my new verdict is: H-200 wins over the XBA 3 by a slight margin.

MIDS
         No contest here... The H-200 has a more forward mid section making vocals (especially female) sound lush and airy. Vocals on the XBA 3 sounded a tad bit distant in comparison. Distorted guitars in rock/metal sounded great on the H-200 because the "crunch" is easily heard. Other instruments such as acoustic guitar, piano, trumpets, etc... just sounder fuller on the H-200. In short, the H-200 sounds a LOT more detailed in the Mids when compared to the XBA 3. H-200 wins by a huge margin.

HIGHS
         The Sony XBA-3 is known to be very well extended in the treble region; very detailed and open sounding. There is a problem tho: the grainy texture in treble area when set at higher volume. In this comparison, my XBA 3 has a modded filter + comply tsx-200 and this problem is GREATLY reduced. I even thought that this time, the Sony will stack up really well against the H-200... I was wrong! The H-200 is better in every area with just a very little hint of the grainy texture at higher volume; BUT this is only apparent in crappy recordings. Amongst the tracks used in this comparison, I barely even noticed the grainy texture on two tracks (She Wolf and All Over You) with the H-200. On a positive note, the H-200 sounds more natural that the cymbals, high-hats, and percussion instruments are such a pleasure to hear. You don't get that satisfaction with the XBA 3 because they sound a bit "metallic". Again, the H-200 wins by a huge margin.

DETAIL / SEPARATION
        Both IEMs are really good in imaging and detail. You can definitely hear things here and there that you don't normally here from mediocre headphones. What separates the two is the H-200's ability to present detail without difficulty; you immediately hear it! The XBA 3 on the other hand, the detail is there, but when it gets really busy you'll have to make an effort to search for those instruments in the background. Once you find them, the detail is definitely there. The H-200 wins by a slight margin.

SOUNDSTAGE
         The H-200 has an average soundstage to my ears but it's definitely there. Maybe because I'm so used to the XBA 3s great soundstage where you get that euphoric feeling and immersion to the music that you're listening in to. If I were to give the XBA 3 a score of 7 in soundstage, the H-200 will be a solid 5.
         UPDATE 02/06/13: Using the RED cable improves the Soundstage indeed; both IEMs are now equally good in presenting a wide presentation and it's really hard to pinpoint which of these two is better. H-200 and XBA-3 are just equals in soundstage.

CONCLUSION
         So, which IEM is better? The H-200 by a huge margin! Do I feel that I've found the upgrade that I was looking for? That is a solid "YES" for me! I am very happy with the H-200 because I can just throw any music/genre and these cans deliver with a bang! It's enjoyable, a bit forgiving to crappy recordings and most of all: it is not strident thus extended listening sessions are never fatiguing.

May 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #837 of 2,595
Quote:
How would you compare the GR07 BE to XBA 3's Wayne?

I sold the xba3's before getting the gr07be's, so I can't make a direct comparison. The biggest difference imo are the mids - they seemed a bit recessed on the xba3's. Also, I found the treble to be slightly funky at times (that "metallic" thing). The xba3's had a more 3d effect, with a deeper soundstage and better imaging. The bass on the xba3's was good: substantial, controlled and detailed. But ultimately the gr07be's have a more balanced, cohesive and engaging sound to me.

May 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #839 of 2,595
May 30, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #840 of 2,595
Quote:
d marc0, nice write-up!

It was a nice write up. But I do not like how much he likes his H-200's - I won't be getting that PM after all!
frown.gif

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back