[ T-PEOS ] Announce Releasing Altone200 and Start Preorder Limitedly
Jul 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #196 of 257
Got them today, first impression is very good. For me it sounds smooth and balanced. I would like the low-end a bit more present but there is enough to enjoy. Midrange is good with nice detailed vocals. High-end extends fine but so far not piercing or sibilant. For now I've settled on the medium 'basic' sillicone tips. Gives me the best bass of the 2 sillicone tip styles provided.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #198 of 257
So what's the verdict on these? Are they the newest must have entry level/mid fi iem? Cause I've been wanting to get a pair of multi driver in ears, and the price on these is in my budget.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #200 of 257
Tried a variety of my music today during my walk to try to identify issues with bass.  Mamas and Papas sounded a bit thin, except for several bass-y tracks which sounded fine.  1960s (remastered) mix in 16 bit.  Then tried Steely Dan's Aja, new Japanese pressing on fancy disc, 16 bit.  Superb bass.  Superb everything!  Kettle drum sound in both channels is right there.    Try this album and you should hear plenty of low end.  It's clean, it's well-placed, it's not murky.  It's full without overpowering everything else.  After that I put on a 24 bit The Beach Boys Pet Sounds.  Again, sounds great.  If you are curious, try playing, from that album, the instrumental "Let's Go Away For Awhile" or "Caroline No."  If you can't hear bass on those, either your iems are broken or you've blown out your ears.  

Mids and highs are superb.  These are delicate-sounding, without being brittle or anemic.  Really good iems.  though I think what you play and how it was mixed will determine how much bass you are hearing.  I'm also getting a bit of microphonics when I walk, more than with the Dunu 1000s.  Using a clip, wires below ears. For $125, these things sound much more expensive.   

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #201 of 257
Burn in definitely plays a role in the bass improving. My pair went from anemic to impressive. Still wish there was more sub quality, but it is improving the more I play them. I did comparisons to confirm the improvement.

I find the ss very addicting. It's a shame I have to send them back for build reasons.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #202 of 257
  Tried a variety of my music today during my walk to try to identify issues with bass.  Mamas and Papas sounded a bit thin, except for several bass-y tracks which sounded fine.  1960s (remastered) mix in 16 bit.  Then tried Steely Dan's Aja, new Japanese pressing on fancy disc, 16 bit.  Superb bass.  Superb everything!  Kettle drum sound in both channels is right there.    Try this album and you should hear plenty of low end.  It's clean, it's well-placed, it's not murky.  It's full without overpowering everything else.  After that I put on a 24 bit The Beach Boys Pet Sounds.  Again, sounds great.  If you are curious, try playing, from that album, the instrumental "Let's Go Away For Awhile" or "Caroline No."  If you can't hear bass on those, either your iems are broken or you've blown out your ears.  

Mids and highs are superb.  These are delicate-sounding, without being brittle or anemic.  Really good iems.  though I think what you play and how it was mixed will determine how much bass you are hearing.  I'm also getting a bit of microphonics when I walk, more than with the Dunu 1000s.  Using a clip, wires below ears. For $125, these things sound much more expensive.   

Hi Old Dude !!

Could you say that the sound quality on the Altones and the DN1000 are quite similar.  
I want detailed listening with good soundstage for classic, jazz and of course a not shy bass would be a nice to have to listen some Chill Out, ambient and alternative.

$200 in this moment is an effort to me, $125 is more attractive, but I would do the effort to save the additional $75; do you think that for the DN 1K worth the sound quality increase (if there is any)?

Thanks 
Thanks a lot 

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #203 of 257
Both are clear-sounding iems that deliver clean precise sound.  The Dunus have a stronger bass floor, the Altones have better clarity across the entire soundstage.  If you want lots of powerful bass across the soundstage, it's the Dunus.  If you want strong bass that doesn't overwhelm everything else, and incredible clarity of all instruments, it's the Altones.  From my perspective, having both, after listening to the Altones for a few days, the Dunus sound muddy by comparison (they sounded great before I got the Altones).  Both are good (excellent) iems.  You need to make your choice based on $ and what you listen to and what you listen with and what you want to hear.  

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #204 of 257
Got mine. Love them. I love good audio, but I'm fairly new to this scene - hardly a technical expert - so I'll try to explain these in fundamental, but genuine terms. I'll start with my personal negatives.

Technically, they're pretty great and seem to be as good as people describe; however, the only thing I seem to find a little underwhelming is its bass. I guess I'm a basshead, because I actually enjoy the vibrating stimulation a powerful, thumpy bass gives you - whether it's in EDM, "epic" music, hip-hop etc.

Besides that, after prolonged listening, I feel like they have a tendency to get a little "boring", as I experienced yesterday. I guess it's lack of a powering bass might contribute to this impression, but I did generally just find myself wishing my listening session was a bit more lively. I would increase the volume, hoping to get some stimulation but it would never really cut it. EQing helped its bass a bit but I still found myself wanting more thump.

With all that said, these are pretty damn great IEMs. They're very clear, and instruments sound clean and separated. Vocals, treble, etc. sound great, and I think they have a good prospect to be the perfect headphones for a non-bass-enthusiast seeking great quality and value.

In comparison with the GR07 - Bass Editions, I think these trump the GR07 BE's in pretty much every way - even in bass. I did a direct comparison of both, and it came as the clear winner. Now the perfect IEMs for me would be something with as good or almost-as-good overall quality as these, but more powerful bass and more "lively". Would be glad to get recommendations from you guys.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #205 of 257
Fair enough. My point is that there does not need to be a trade off in the first place. Bass can be high on both quality and quantity. Actually, quantity is a part of quality. The fact is there are not many headphones out there capable to reproduce decent bass in decent amounts when needed.

As for the Altone's, I don't particularly find their bass extremely well defined or textured. It's not bad, but even my Panasonic RPH-JE70S does a significantly better job at reproducing a much better defined and textured bass at higher amounts. Yet, with a single dynamic driver, it doesn't do as well as the Altones at mid and high frequencies.

All in all, bass of Altones is OK for its class, in terms of both quality and quantity. Definitely not weak, but not great either. It's mids, highs and clarity are it's stronger points, IMHO.

Exactly. I think an earphone's primary aim is to replicate real life sounds - for the most part. and bass in real life is thumpy and energetic. I'm not a big fan of how people on here try to equate powerful bass with lower quality or something an audiophile shouldn't/wouldn't be concerned about. I'm not saying anyone on this particular thread is doing that but that is the overall vibe I get from the forum.
Regardless of how "accurate" it might be, the Altone's bass is relatively weak. I wish people would identify that as it is, instead of trying to make its weakness seem like a positive.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #206 of 257
The Altone's bass is not weak. Are you sure you didn't get a defective pair?

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #208 of 257
OldDuded mentioned that the first batch came with defective bass.

I like the T-Peos even more than the Dunus if they delivers more clarity, But I do not know now if purchase this or the DN 1000, to have a some bass.
I do not want the risk to purchase some units from the first batch !!!  

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #209 of 257
SOME of the first batch came with defective bass.  I saw on one of these threads the number 12 of 100 were affected.  No idea as to the correctness of that estimate.  

The people getting exchanges are commenting that the newer ones both sound a bit better and have an under-chin slider on the cable, so I would assume that the new batch is what is being sent out now.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #210 of 257
All the talk about the bass is making me comparing the Altone's. I perceive that the bass of the Altone is close to my UE 900, could that be right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back