[ T-PEOS ] Announce Releasing Altone200 and Start Preorder Limitedly
Jul 26, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #166 of 257
Tried three tips so far. I think I'm getting a good fit, might've just expected a little too much from it. Then again, I got a pair of A-Jays for 40 dollars and I remember the bass being thumper and more enjoyable. This is about 4x the price.

More expensive IEM doesn't necessarily mean "more bass" actually quite the opposite. Usually, cheaper lower priced earphones are tuned with a bassy signature because it's what meets the "mainstream crowd" expectations, what you need to examine is the bass quality, not the quantity. Altone200 was never tuned to be a bass monster as all the reviews are stating, If you know how to listen for bass clarity, detail and texture then you will understand what Altone's dynamic driver is trying to accomplish rather than raw volume which in turn causes bleed.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #167 of 257
More expensive IEM doesn't necessarily mean "more bass" actually quite the opposite. Usually, cheaper lower priced earphones are tuned with a bassy signature because it's what meets the "mainstream crowd" expectations, what you need to examine is the bass quality, not the quantity. Altone200 was never tuned to be a bass monster as all the reviews are stating, If you know how to listen for bass clarity, detail and texture then you will understand what Altone's dynamic driver is trying to accomplish rather than raw volume which in turn causes bleed.
What iems that you own would you compare the bass on these to?

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at my headphones inventory maybe you have something the same as I do to base comparisons to?

Thanks for your contributions to head fi, your opinions are highly dependable and respected.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #168 of 257
What iems that you own would you compare the bass on these to?

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at my headphones inventory maybe you have something the same as I do to base comparisons to?

Thanks for your contributions to head fi, your opinions are highly dependable and respected.

Probably the easiest way to compare would be to against Dunu DN-1000 because it's fresh in my mind (Good IEM btw)

If I was going to label the Dunu DN-1000 a maximum of 10/10 for bass quantity (max bass), I would probably give Altone a 7/10, that's just the raw volume and amount of bass.. Where the Altone will excel though is in speed, tightness and texture. it will sound faster with shorter decay, whereas the Dunu tends to linger around a little too long. Good for EDM and Rap, but a little overdone for acoustic genres. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #169 of 257
Received the tracking nr as well 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #170 of 257
More expensive IEM doesn't necessarily mean "more bass" actually quite the opposite. Usually, cheaper lower priced earphones are tuned with a bassy signature because it's what meets the "mainstream crowd" expectations, what you need to examine is the bass quality, not quantity.

+2...exactly. Agreed.

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #172 of 257
My quick impressions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724546/t-peos-altone200-3-way-hybrid-introduction-impressions-high-end-sound-cheap-as-chips/330#post_10744837

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #173 of 257
Bass is not prominent. It is barely enough, at least for my standards.

I don't buy the "not much in quantity but very accurate and textured" kind of apologetic remarks about bass quality either.

Listen to the TH900's to understand what quality bass is. No, it doesn't bleed, no it doesn't boom, no it doesn't bloat, it just reproduces very decent bass.

Are the Altone's capable of producing decent bass? I'd say yeah. I've heard better, but this is not bad either. Amount is borderline adequate though.

As for comparison, IE80 reproduces horrible bass. Gobs of it. But who'd want it?

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #174 of 257
Bass is not prominent. It is barely enough, at least for my standards.

I don't buy the "not much in quantity but very accurate and textured" kind of apologetic remarks about bass quality either.

Listen to the TH900's to understand what quality bass is. No, it doesn't bleed, no it doesn't boom, no it doesn't bloat, it just reproduces very decent bass.

Are the Altone's capable of producing decent bass? I'd say yeah. I've heard better, but this is not bad either. Amount is borderline adequate though.

As for comparison, IE80 reproduces horrible bass. Gobs of it. But who'd want it?

I don't believe I was apologizing for anything zxc, merely explaining Altone was never going to be a bass-head earphone to the member. 

The earphone is up to members to decide it's fate, not something I'm monitoring to protect. I thought that was quite clear from early on.

Your way of thinking is quite strange that I was trying to defend Altone.

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #175 of 257

I don't believe I was apologizing for anything zxc, merely explaining Altone was never going to be a bass-head earphone to the member. 

The earphone is up to members to decide it's fate, not something I'm monitoring to protect. I thought that was quite clear from early on.

Your way of thinking is quite strange that I was trying to defend Altone.

Fair enough. My point is that there does not need to be a trade off in the first place. Bass can be high on both quality and quantity. Actually, quantity is a part of quality. The fact is there are not many headphones out there capable to reproduce decent bass in decent amounts when needed.

As for the Altone's, I don't particularly find their bass extremely well defined or textured. It's not bad, but even my Panasonic RPH-JE70S does a significantly better job at reproducing a much better defined and textured bass at higher amounts. Yet, with a single dynamic driver, it doesn't do as well as the Altones at mid and high frequencies.

All in all, bass of Altones is OK for its class, in terms of both quality and quantity. Definitely not weak, but not great either. It's mids, highs and clarity are it's stronger points, IMHO.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #176 of 257
Fair enough. My point is that there does not need to be a trade off in the first place. Bass can be high on both quality and quantity. Actually, quantity is a part of quality.

No,regarding tradeoff- it can be both equal or either one north and other south or vice versa,sure theres a tradeoff.,unless they are equal/even.

Shall I express like,both can be an integral part, but/so both can be broken down,as......the Quantity itself has its own bad quality and good quality character and then again the Quality itself has itss own large quantity and small quantity in size....

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #177 of 257
No,regarding tradeoff- it can be both equal or either one north and other south or vice versa,sure theres a tradeoff.,unless they are equal/even.

Shall I express like,both can be an integral part, but/so both can be broken down,as......the Quantity itself has its own bad quality and good quality character and then again the Quality itself has itss own large quantity and small quantity in size....

I don't really understand what you mean. Maybe it's too early in the morning...

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #178 of 257
I don't really understand what you mean. Maybe it's too early in the morning...

No - you weren't the only one.  I read it several times then gave up trying to understand it  .......
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #179 of 257
Well, leaving Alice in Wonderland semantics for a moment 
beyersmile.png
 my shipment seems to be hung up in DHL hell somewhere.  Tracking says it left Inchon Fri, and says customs cleared it in Ohio (DHL hub), but it doesn't say it ARRIVED at Ohio.  So it departed, but it hasn't arrived.  Though it says next step is delivery to my location in California.  So I guess we are BACK to Alice in Wonderland semantics.  DHL tracking makes US Post Office tracking look cutting edge.  Guess I'll wait until Monday and see what it says then.  Maybe DHL took the weekend off.  

OK, back to parsing the meaning of the word Bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back