T-PEOS Altone350 impressions and Australian review tour thread.
May 19, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #106 of 173
Okay guys! i've been listening to the Altone 350 for a couple of days now and here's my early impressions:

The Altone 350 reminds me more of the H200 than H300... the H300 to me had more sub bass rumble, slam and punch, the mids is excellent for female vocals, unfortunately the treble was just too hot. From memory, the H300 is still the best T-PEOS IEM in bass performance: excellent depth due to layering and texture plus control is great for a bass heavy tuning.

The Altone 350's bass quantity reminded me of the H200 but unfortunately quality is not as good IMHO. The H200 bass although not as layered as the H300, was well controlled and had excellent speed - the best performer for heavy metal I've heard from an IEM. The Altone 350 is just a bit too mid-bassy and a tad slow (decay) for complex, fast-paced music. It performs really well for average-tempo music but lingers a bit too much for fast tempos. Fortunately, the quality is good due to the detail, layering, and texture.

Midrange is excellent on the Altone 350 despite being presented a bit behind the low and high frequencies. Surprisingly, it doesn't sound veiled nor muddy. Vocals are presented very well, lush and detailed. The H200 was more upfront for female vocals and guitars which made it sound more edgy in general. Personally, I'd prefer the H200 for guitar driven songs but I'm more happy with the Altone 350 for multi-genre use.

I am quite surprised to hear a smoother treble presentation on the Altone 350. Looking at the frequency graph I initially thought this was going to be more sibilant than the H200 but using the right tips (jvc spiral-dot or comply foam) rewards you with the best treble tuning T-PEOS has ever done. It sits just along the thin line between sibilance and smooth treble. So in most cases, treble quality will highly depend on how the music was originally mixed/mastered. Well mastered recordings sound excellent on the Altone 350. If I were to nit-pick, I'd say the Altone 350's timbre in the treble region is a bit off. The Cymbals do sound thinner and lacks the natural ringing or china timbre. Also I personally think that it also lacks just a bit of air although it's not really bad for most genres.

In short, I would describe the Altone 350 sound as a warmer, smoother, refined H200 tuning... not bad at all. H200 was on the analytical side; the Altone 350 is on the musical side.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #108 of 173
It is interesting, having heard some of the impressions I was really ready not to like these but I am absolutely loving them.

I had thought that I might have trouble with review units and the potential perception of the gear that I haven't put my hard earned behind as I have found myself in the tours I have participated in gravitating back toward my own gear. Then I got these and I am having a tough time taking them out for long enough to compare against others in my stable (Dunu Titan 1 and AN16 on my desk currently along with my q701's for kicks).

In brief AB's I am finding that these just pack out a tonne more detail. I don't find the peaks abrasive but rather vivid (I don't have issues with the q701's which some find like chalkboards :) ) and there is a texture to it all which is really appealing. Putting in the Titan's which I find to have great shimmer and sparkle, I find everything just sounds a little too relaxed...

Anyway, I will keep listening to these over the weekend before passing on to Brooko and provide more detail... (as well as finishing the X3ii review!!!)

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #109 of 173
It is interesting, having heard some of the impressions I was really ready not to like these but I am absolutely loving them.

I had thought that I might have trouble with review units and the potential perception of the gear that I haven't put my hard earned behind as I have found myself in the tours I have participated in gravitating back toward my own gear. Then I got these and I am having a tough time taking them out for long enough to compare against others in my stable (Dunu Titan 1 and AN16 on my desk currently along with my q701's for kicks).

In brief AB's I am finding that these just pack out a tonne more detail. I don't find the peaks abrasive but rather vivid (I don't have issues with the q701's which some find like chalkboards :) ) and there is a texture to it all which is really appealing. Putting in the Titan's which I find to have great shimmer and sparkle, I find everything just sounds a little too relaxed...

Anyway, I will keep listening to these over the weekend before passing on to Brooko and provide more detail... (as well as finishing the X3ii review!!!)

Glad you're enjoying them. What are your thoughts on the bass?

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #110 of 173
I am enjoying it mostly, however when you get to more intimate soundscapes I find it muddied the sound (ie Beck's waking light from morning phase) whereas for most genre's I find it welcome, especially as everything is so clear it doesn't hide detail, just adds a punch...

Initial impressions tho :)

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #111 of 173
I am enjoying it mostly, however when you get to more intimate soundscapes I find it muddied the sound (ie Beck's waking light from morning phase) whereas for most genre's I find it welcome, especially as everything is so clear it doesn't hide detail, just adds a punch...

Initial impressions tho :)

Have you tried EQing down mid-bass a bit? I felt that helped quite a bit with A250.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #115 of 173
I've just discovered (for myself) that the included Comply tips are crucial for the 350s. Have any of the reviewers tried the 350 with foam tips by any chance? 

It was a night and day difference for me..
I'll give 'em a shot once I get the A350. What critical difference do you get with them? Smoother high end?

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #117 of 173
  Definitely a smoother experience on the top end. But an overall new sense of fullness. The "looseness" is a lot tighter :wink: 

I don't want to influence too much though and will leave it to people to try. 

Hi EmpJ, the old Foam Tips that was included on the altone200... was that a Comply Foam tips also? Or is the inclusion of Comply Foam a new addition to the new lineup?

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #118 of 173

Hi EmpJ, the old Foam Tips that was included on the altone200... was that a Comply Foam tips also? Or is the inclusion of Comply Foam a new addition to the new lineup?

Nope, the foam tips included with the Altone200s are not Comply tips. But T-PEOS' own foam tips. The problem with those were that they were too slippery, and the tips would sometimes come off the nozzles easily. 

Great idea for T-PEOS to partner up with Comply with the TX-200 tips

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #120 of 173
I use them with included complies or Logitech UE white large tips mostly. Altone 350 is by far the best iem I heard, what I hear from this thing is like perfect for me, whatever comment I make will be positive so no point in saying anything :) But at start I struggled to find the perfect fit, even though it's shallow insertion a good fit effected the sound much.

I never equalized it, I dont think this a basshead iem, bass amount and impact is perfect for me, it doesnt feel lacking or artificial. Mids are getting positioned according to record and they never get overly thick or thin, also tone of mids are the most realistic for me to this date. Mids are not in your face as if in re400 but I wouldn't say they are positioned far too, again, perfect for me. Timbre is not too bright for me but realistic again. When I listen to live bands (Mostly rock or metal), what I hear is closer to altone 350 than any other equipment I tried, I tend to follow drums and cymbals mostly, guitars produce a piercing sound and to hear the bass guitar, you don't have to focus on it. Also I tend to use it with very low volumes according to other headphones because sound has very good body in all frequencies and details never get lost.

I used my note 2 and hifiman hm601 mostly for listening, I also tried it with e17, topping nx2 and clip+. I've used im50, re400, sm64 and gr07 classic(best among them for me) before as iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back