T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Feb 26, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #1,216 of 1,424
  I have just purchased the Altone 200 (old model) and I have to say it is incredibly good value for money. The regional SEA distributor told me though, that the Altone 200 I bought is discontinued to pave way for the new Altones. Stocks are very low so if you want, get it now.

Such a shame, imo, that the 200 is discontinued after just what, 1 or 2 years? I think the main selling points of the 200 is size (very small and comfortable for a triple, compared to say DN2K, A83 and ASG2) and price (185USD!), other than sound quality of course. This is a killer combo that no other hybrids have. The new Altones may be very good IEMs, but they may also be bigger (to accommodate removable cable socket) and definitely more expensive (298000 won / 271 USD for the triple hybrid, although possibly better sq). I think T-peos is discontinuing the old 200 so that it won't cannibalise the sales of the new dual hybrid 250, which is a perfectly sound reasoning based on a marketing standpoint. From an audiophile's perspective however, it is sad to see such uniquely good product just go away.

So I guess the rumor is now that they are planning to release the new Altone series overseas. That's good! Not so good that the originals are being discontinued. T-Peos does have a history of discontinuing models quickly and releasing new ones as successors. They are still a "young" company in contrast to their competitors but are currently selling none of the products they started out with.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,217 of 1,424
  I have just purchased the Altone 200 (old model) and I have to say it is incredibly good value for money. The regional SEA distributor told me though, that the Altone 200 I bought is discontinued to pave way for the new Altones. Stocks are very low so if you want, get it now.

Such a shame, imo, that the 200 is discontinued after just what, 1 or 2 years? I think the main selling points of the 200 is size (very small and comfortable for a triple, compared to say DN2K, A83 and ASG2) and price (185USD!), other than sound quality of course. This is a killer combo that no other hybrids have. The new Altones may be very good IEMs, but they may also be bigger (to accommodate removable cable socket) and definitely more expensive (298000 won / 271 USD for the triple hybrid, although possibly better sq). I think T-peos is discontinuing the old 200 so that it won't cannibalise the sales of the new dual hybrid 250, which is a perfectly sound reasoning based on a marketing standpoint. From an audiophile's perspective however, it is sad to see such uniquely good product just go away.

When i research them before buying it, reading the fact that they aren't even normally sold in Korea, and also with the changing price, from 145 to 185, it's obvious that they're merely testing the market with altone 200... and i knew from then that the alton200 won't last long. i'm sort of okay with that because of the price being offered.

oh well, that's fine too.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,218 of 1,424
I believe the cost went up because the profit margin was so thin T-Peos couldn't afford to sell to resellers/retailers.  It bumped the price and then you could buy the 200 in stores/online retail for $185.  Before that it was early adopters who got the lower price.  And even if T-Peos was testing the market, there's nothing wrong with that.  It's a good product at the price it's being offered at.  In direct competition with the Dunu1K and similar iems.  And I sold my Dunu when I got the Altone.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,220 of 1,424
So I guess the rumor is now that they are planning to release the new Altone series overseas. That's good! Not so good that the originals are being discontinued. T-Peos does have a history of discontinuing models quickly and releasing new ones as successors. They are still a "young" company in contrast to their competitors but are currently selling none of the products they started out with.

Can't wait for comparisons of 200 vs. 350!

Wonder if TPEOS would throw US Headfiers a pair or two of each of the new models to tour around and generate impressions...

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #1,221 of 1,424
Can't wait for comparisons of 200 vs. 350!

Wonder if TPEOS would throw US Headfiers a pair or two of each of the new models to tour around and generate impressions...

If they don't have any plans for a tour...I'm actually going to go visit home in the States from Korea so if there is no tour till then, I'll bring a pair with me for touring. Will be during the summer so still a ways away though.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,222 of 1,424
If they don't have any plans for a tour...I'm actually going to go visit home in the States from Korea so if there is no tour till then, I'll bring a pair with me for touring. Will be during the summer so still a ways away though.

That'd be great! I'll be on the lookout :)

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,223 of 1,424
Woah woah woah - What is this? 

Legit or Naw? I'm quite anxious now.

Edit: What the seller told me after inquiring

Dear s5300,

At first, Thank you for your interest in our products.

T-PEOS has released it February 24, 2015 in Korea.

and, has changed the name.

ALTONE 100 => ALTONE 150

ALTONE 200 => ALTONE 250

ALTONE 300 => ALTONE 350

But, currently you can buy only in Korea.

If you want to buy now, especially I'll give you a 10% discount.

Thank you.

- dostory

Last message I received

Dear s5300,

The Altone series released officially.

and, I'm just one of the wholesale merchant in Korea.

and, I'm just first(and currently only) seller in ebay.

Thank you, again.
  - dostory

I mean, I think it's legit?

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,224 of 1,424
Oh ****

Need some H-300 vs. Altone 350 reviews now. I love how they include comply tips as well :)

Also: Here's the case the Altone 350 come in:

Looks pretty darn nice.

Altone 350 Signature:

Looking for the H-300 for a comparison. That spike looks pretty huge.
Edit: Found it

Looks like it has less sub-bass, a dip at 5khz, and the same spike at 8khz but with slightly less rolled off treble.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #1,225 of 1,424
Oh ****

Need some H-300 vs. Altone 350 reviews now. I love how they include comply tips as well :)

Also: Here's the case the Altone 350 come in:

Looks pretty darn nice.

Altone 350 Signature:

Looking for the H-300 for a comparison. That spike looks pretty huge.
Edit: Found it

Looks like it has less sub-bass, a dip at 5khz, and the same spike at 8khz but with slightly less rolled off treble.

That included leather carrying case looks darn good! But the graphs doesn't look as promising though. :worried:

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,229 of 1,424
Oh ****

Altone 350 Signature:

wow. you're kidding....right? (5k dip, 8k peak, 500 aud price tag)

i tried to request a demo for an aus tour, but haven't heard back from Sunggoo

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,230 of 1,424
  Can you post the Altone 200 curve to compare?

From @Brooko's Altone 200 review:

Sorry to say, the Altone200 I auditioned didn't sound anywhere close to Brooko's graph, but in fact much closer to the 300/350 graphs posted above.

Brooko's graph would suggest that treble is less spiky than the K3003's, which (from my A/B comparison) isn't the case by a long shot.

Just my 2c, could be due to product variation or whatnotelse. Just saying, my loaner unit sounded quite similarly spiky like the 300/350 graphs would suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back