T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Aug 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #706 of 1,424
I am comparing it now to the CKR9. The AT is still a good clip ahead it (this dual-dynamic has BA-qualities to its sound signature). The CKR9 is one of the clearest dynamics I have ever heard with great PRAT, details and instrument separation. The bass and drums are so natural sounding in the CKR9. With that stated, the Altone is not very far behind the CKR9 in bass and clarity.

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #707 of 1,424
  I am comparing it now to the CKR9. The AT is still a good clip ahead it (this dual-dynamic has BA-qualities to its sound signature). The CKR9 is one of the clearest dynamics I have ever heard with great PRAT, details and instrument separation. The bass and drums are so natural sounding in the CKR9. With that stated, the Altone is not very far behind the CKR9 in bass and clarity.

This is great news, here http://www.head-fi.org/t/720461/review-of-audio-technica-ath-ckr9-ath-ckr10 says: Clearly CKR9 is better than TF10. And as expected, CKR9 bass quality is much better than TF10. 
CKR9 and TF10 cost double of Altones. 
Altones looks very promising, imagine when you get to 200h burn in 
basshead.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #708 of 1,424
So I just compared the the Altone to the Dunu Dn-900 (right now the DN-900 is about the same price as the Altone on amazon.com). The DN-900 clear has more bass quanity, but it's not the better bass quality. The Altone wins with a more natural, visceral and organic bass quality. Dunu wins, however, in 3-Dish sound. The Dunu is a fuller and the more forward sounding of the two hybrids. The Altone is the more balanced of the two with greater instrument separation. Also, the T-Peos wins in the clarity department. It's the more neutral of the two. I thought the DN-900 was suppose to be a more mid-focused iem than in its big brother, the DN-1000. I think that's true, but it's bass heavy compared to the Altone 200. That is not suggesting at all that the Altone is bass-light  or that the DN-900 is a basshead iem. Neither is true, but the Dunu just has a thicker sound. The Dunu 900 sounds very very good for the price, but the Altone is the winner if you want great separation, clarity, and a more balanced sounding hybrid. The Altone is still 3-Dish, but on the lighter side of the 3-D spectrum. Both are really worth having and sound different enough. Both are great for the price. Happy listening.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #709 of 1,424
TE-05 gives the Altone a run for the money. Yes, the TE-05 is about $25 to $35 more and it's worth. Just like the CKR9, the TE-05 is one of the few dynamics I've heard that has a BA-essence to its sound quality. Yet, since it is a dynamic, the overall is more natural and organic. So, okay, the Althone is kind of like the younger brother by a year and a half to the TE-05 in the bass department. The Fostex possesses a clearly cleaner and thicker and fuller bass (the sub-bass really pushes through) than the Altone. Both basses, however, are very clean and visceral. Both are so satisfying. The TE-05 also has a fuller and more organic sound than the Altone 200. Clarity is about equal (if its a little better in the Altone I having a hard time hearing it). The TE-05 is more 3-D in its sound with a wider soundstage. Both have great instrument separation. I think the TE-05's mids are bit more forward than the Altone, but the T-Peos isolates better if you're out and about. It also takes more juice to drive the TE-05. But out of all of the earphones I've compared to the Altone 200, I think the TE-50 and the Altone have more in common than any of the rest. It's like the the Altone could be the TE-50's younger brother. That's a very high compliment given to the Altone 200. Oh, I'm using Spiral Dot (JVC) tips on both earphones. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #710 of 1,424
After looking closely inside, I guess that all of the first versions are prone to the defect mentioned by mobyn and another user a few pages back.
Look at the piece of sleeve used to hold the cable in the case. It is too big and touches the back plate specially where the port is

It changes position when you push the cable in or when you rotate the earphone while holding the cable. So, sometimes it may work correctly but sometimes it could block the port or even permanently block the port depending on how tight the the sleeve is compressed by the top. Mines had good bass though and never needed to replace them.

It's actually easy to open and correct it. Just by separating and gluing the strain relief 2-3mm away from the thick sleeve head, exposing the thin cable which won't block the port

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #711 of 1,424
I just sat down and for about 20 minutes I scrolled through my All Songs list using the Altones.  I checked maybe 70-80 songs (in small bits, usually the first 10-15 seconds) and maybe 7-8 seemed bass-thin.  All of the rest had exceptional bass, whether it was a full deep bass or foot pedal bass or tom tom bass.  Some songs, like the Beatle's Come Together, had bass across the soundstage, full and deep, and other songs, (ike the Band's Acadian Driftwood, had full bass in one area of the the soundstage only.  The songs that seemed thin just don't have a big bass presence.  I can hit the bass boost on my JDS amp and give them more oomph, but even that doesn't make them bass-centric.  

I just think these iems give an accurate sound across the board, and the more I use them the happier I am.  Right now I'm running a FLAC frequency file to do more burning-in, just to see if they get even better.  Sounds like a dentists' drill.  
smile_phones.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #712 of 1,424
This is great news, here http://www.head-fi.org/t/720461/review-of-audio-technica-ath-ckr9-ath-ckr10 says: Clearly CKR9 is better than TF10. And as expected, CKR9 bass quality is much better than TF10. 

CKR9 and TF10 cost double of Altones. 

Altones looks very promising, imagine when you get to 200h burn in :basshead:

Only if you consider the at usa.

At japan isnt twice as expensive.

Its only 60 dollars more expensive. :)

Erics impressions just make me want to purchase the altones to compare for fun, lol. And also save some money

Nice impressions + comparisons eric. :)

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #713 of 1,424
Only if you consider the at usa.

At japan isnt twice as expensive.

Its only 60 dollars more expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Erics impressions just make me want to purchase the altones to compare for fun, lol. And also save some money

Nice impressions + comparisons eric.
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #714 of 1,424
A poster compares the two directly back on Page 39. Have a read, should tell you what you want to know ☺

Cheers Bohdy, it seems from this impression :)the H300s are more suitable for bass lovers but I don't think I'll be able to get away from that peaky treble everyone talks about. I think the Altones would be a great compromise, and besides I think the bass quantity can be lifted by a bit of eq and with the help of a good amp. :)

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #715 of 1,424
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Altone 200 to the Ortofon E-Q5?

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #716 of 1,424
Cheers Bohdy, it seems from this impression :)the H300s are more suitable for bass lovers but I don't think I'll be able to get away from that peaky treble everyone talks about. I think the Altones would be a great compromise, and besides I think the bass quantity can be lifted by a bit of eq and with the help of a good amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

No worries.

It's the same for the peaky treble btw; a bit of eq, a different source, or different tips can make a world of difference in taming that treble.

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #717 of 1,424
Also, which Comply tips would be suitable for the Altones?

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #719 of 1,424
TE-05 gives the Altone a run for the money. Yes, the TE-05 is about $25 to $35 more and it's worth. Just like the CKR9, the TE-05 is one of the few dynamics I've heard that has a BA-essence to its sound quality. Yet, since it is a dynamic, the overall is more natural and organic. So, okay, the Althone is kind of like the younger brother by a year and a half to the TE-05 in the bass department. The Fostex possesses a clearly cleaner and thicker and fuller bass (the sub-bass really pushes through) than the Altone. Both basses, however, are very clean and visceral. Both are so satisfying. The TE-05 also has a fuller and more organic sound than the Altone 200. Clarity is about equal (if its a little better in the Altone I having a hard time hearing it). The TE-05 is more 3-D in its sound with a wider soundstage. Both have great instrument separation. I think the TE-05's mids are bit more forward than the Altone, but the T-Peos isolates better if you're out and about. It also takes more juice to drive the TE-05. But out of all of the earphones I've compared to the Altone 200, I think the TE-50 and the Altone have more in common than any of the rest. It's like the the Altone could be the TE-50's younger brother. That's a very high compliment given to the Altone 200. Oh, I'm using Spiral Dot (JVC) tips on both earphones. 

Great comparison Eric and could you please do comparison between Altone and Doppio as well? Thanks

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #720 of 1,424
What I learned from this experience is to never do pre-orders again. 

We base our decisions on the views of few individuals, who have their own experiences and personal preferences. Not nearly enough.

On top of it, there are issues with hardware. Some are apparently broken, though we don't know which. I can't say for sure if mine is broken. Yeah, the bass is not enough for my tastes, but is it a defect? Who knows. Some people who exchanged report great bass, some report some difference but not a lot. Sunggoo states if they were broken, the defect would be very obvious, and people stating some difference is due to placebo effect.

Then we see pictures of this tiny IEM cut open with internals showing what might have gone wrong.

Knowing what I know now; I would have waited. Read impressions from a larger user base, and probably decide that the bass is perhaps not up to my taste and give up, or pay $20 extra and get it. This is not a cheap hobby anyways. Price difference between a decent and great volume pot is $20 for god's sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back