T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Aug 11, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #693 of 1,424
Just received my altones today and started testing them out...

and oh my, no regrets whatsoever! for 125USD these are really really great. Altho i have to say that the rubber tips just dont work for me, it doesnt go in well enough to enjoy the bass. After changing to the foam tips it sounded sooooooooooooooo much better. These have exactly what was missing from my Brainwavz B2. Cant wait to hear how it sounds after it gets burnt in!

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #694 of 1,424
Apologies if this has been mentioned before but how does the bass of the (rectified) Altones fare against the bass of the H-300?
From what I have read the bass of the h300 is excellent with good slam, extension and quality (lacking slightly compared to the dn2000). Being a bit of a basshead I would get the h300s but I am quite sensitive to treble peaks hence I haven't pulled the trigger on the h300s.

Do the Altones have the same drivers as the h300 with different tuning?

Cheers

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #695 of 1,424
Apologies if this has been mentioned before but how does the bass of the (rectified) Altones fare against the bass of the H-300?
From what I have read the bass of the h300 is excellent with good slam, extension and quality (lacking slightly compared to the dn2000). Being a bit of a basshead I would get the h300s but I am quite sensitive to treble peaks hence I haven't pulled the trigger on the h300s.

Cheers

The dynamic driver inside Altone200 is basically identical to H-300 (to the best of my knowledge), Altone200's treble is the calmer of the two earphones. DN-2000 has less bass than both, maybe you mean't DN-1000.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #696 of 1,424
The dynamic driver inside Altone200 is basically identical to H-300 (to the best of my knowledge), Altone200's treble is the calmer of the two earphones. DN-2000 has less bass than both, maybe you mean't DN-1000.

Well I've read that the dn2k bass quality is slightly better than the h300 in terms of speed, decay and timbre. But yes I think the dn1k has much stronger bass with greater slam than both the dn2k and the h300, albeit a touch muddy for some ppl.

It sounds like the Altones strike a great balance between bass slam and bass quality. With the added bonus (for some ppl) of a tamer treble. :)

Do we know when they will go on general sale? For those that missed out on the preorder units? I understand t peos are rectifying the blocked vent issue at the moment.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #697 of 1,424
Well I've read that the dn2k bass quality is slightly better than the h300 in terms of speed, decay and timbre. But yes I think the dn1k has much stronger bass with greater slam than both the dn2k and the h300, albeit a touch muddy for some ppl.

It sounds like the Altones strike a great balance between bass slam and bass quality. With the added bonus (for some ppl) of a tamer treble. :)

Do we know when they will go on general sale? For those that missed out on the preorder units? I understand t peos are rectifying the blocked vent issue at the moment.

For what's its worth I disagree on the bass quality between DN-2000 and H-300, my favour goes to the T-Peos low end, I never perceived anything particularly special from DN-2000, YMMV.

You can order Altone any time by following the same instructions as the pre-order. (but at the regular price)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726736/t-peos-announce-closing-preorder-of-altone200-and-start-official-sale#post_10710786

I've seen them on eBay but sellers are asking $200 odd. I'll update the OP tomorrow, I haven't been keeping track.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #698 of 1,424
For what's its worth I disagree on the bass quality between DN-2000 and H-300, my favour goes to the T-Peos low end, I never perceived anything particularly special from DN-2000, YMMV.

You can order Altone any time by following the same instructions as the pre-order. (but at the regular price)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726736/t-peos-announce-closing-preorder-of-altone200-and-start-official-sale#post_10710786

I've seen them on eBay but sellers are asking $200 odd. I'll update the OP tomorrow, I haven't been keeping track.

Ah okay. Yeah I was really wanting the h300, it's just the peaky treble which turned me away. But I see the Altones are the answer now.

Thanks a lot H2O, I don't mind mind paying a premium over the preorder price (and I'm sure a LOT of ppl wouldn't mind) since they seem like a great iem.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #699 of 1,424
My pair is probably OK. I mean, Etymotic still sells ER-4. Altones do have less bass than most other IEM's I own though, and I don't like that.

My pair also misses the chin slider. Do any of you had merely OK bass and got great bass after an exchange? Especially ones without the chin slider?

I contacted T-Peos, but I am undecided if I do have a defective pair or not. I don't like the lack of a chin slider though. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #701 of 1,424

Cheers

A poster compares the two directly back on Page 39. Have a read, should tell you what you want to know ☺

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #702 of 1,424
  My pair is probably OK. I mean, Etymotic still sells ER-4. Altones do have less bass than most other IEM's I own though, and I don't like that.

My pair also misses the chin slider. Do any of you had merely OK bass and got great bass after an exchange? Especially ones without the chin slider?

I contacted T-Peos, but I am undecided if I do have a defective pair or not. I don't like the lack of a chin slider though. 

Send them back, you will much happier.

Ya, T-PEOS product that lacks great bass is a no no. So what does the percentage look like for defective units of this model? 

Hopefully 0% from now on. It sure would of helped if the problem never arose to begin with.

The issue has been solved which was a wire inside the housing on some units blocking an air intake which prevented the dynamic driver from vibrating.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #703 of 1,424
I have about 40 hours on my replacement Altone, and it opened up beautifully with a big full organic bass. Great separation, actually, throughout the whole sound spectrum. It's way above the $125 mark.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #704 of 1,424
  I have about 40 hours on my replacement Altone, and it opened up beautifully with a big full organic bass. Great separation, actually, throughout the whole sound spectrum. It's way above the $125 mark.

I am curious to know in what position will the Altones in your signature. 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #705 of 1,424
  I am curious to know in what position will the Altones in your signature. 
tongue_smile.gif

Too early for that, sorry. It will be awhile. All I can say is that they shoot above the price. It's by memory, but I definitely enjoy them more than the H-200 (no hot highs), and I can't hear any inferiority in the sound quality. I know the DN-1000 has more bass, but this bass is more visceral. I will compare it to the DN-900, AX-30 and AX-35 later in the week, but I'm thinking it's beating the Astrotecs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back