T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Aug 10, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #676 of 1,424
In regards to the bass issues. I had a defective bass pair and exchanged it for a pair that now has a lot more bass.

I am very happy with the sound of the replacement.

Still, while it does have great bass punch, and has very good attack and decay, and excellent tone, it still doesn't extend as low as the DN1000. I think the altone200 bass is still plenty adequate for any genre of music, and really enjoy the clarity and detail of the mids and highs.

The subass is less in quantity than many iems I own, but I think that as long as you don't have a defective pair that plays very little to no bass at all, once your ears adjust to the signature of the altone200 you will really enjoy and appreciate their tuning.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #677 of 1,424
Someone give Hudson Mohawke's "Fuse" a listening and let me know how the bass hits. Using my Narmoo's the bass is there full force...loud, deep, great extension...SOUNDS LIKE IT SHOULD! The Altone200's that I'm being led to believe are fine sound like there might be a 8 inch sub 25 feet away behind the couch with very little air movement. Very weak with no extension and very quick cut off. Bass sounds like it's coming more from the mid speaker than a dedicated 8mm driver. Like, if this is the sound T-PEOS is aiming for then why even include a dynamic to begin with? Let alone an 8mm one...

I mean, look, don't get me wrong...I'm not expecting eardrum busting ghetto blaster bass here...but what I'm getting from these Altones vs. everything else I own or have owned is some of the weakest bass I think I've ever heard. Sounds like I'm not even getting a proper seal...that's how I would describe the bass. Actually that's perfect. Despite me having one these sound like I don't have a seal. Bass sounds like it drops off around...ehhh...200hz or so? 

So yeah...despite what others say these definitely are either no where near as good bass wise as people think they are or my pair is defective. Which of those two is most likely the case?

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #678 of 1,424
Someone give Hudson Mohawke's "Fuse" a listening and let me know how the bass hits. Using my Narmoo's the bass is there full force...loud, deep, great extension...SOUNDS LIKE IT SHOULD! The Altone200's that I'm being led to believe are fine sound like there might be a 8 inch sub 25 feet away behind the couch with very little air movement. Very weak with no extension and very quick cut off. Bass sounds like it's coming more from the mid speaker than a dedicated 8mm driver. Like, if this is the sound T-PEOS is aiming for then why even include a dynamic to begin with? Let alone an 8mm one...

I mean, look, don't get me wrong...I'm not expecting eardrum busting ghetto blaster bass here...but what I'm getting from these Altones vs. everything else I own or have owned is some of the weakest bass I think I've ever heard. Sounds like I'm not even getting a proper seal...that's how I would describe the bass. Actually that's perfect. Despite me having one these sound like I don't have a seal. Bass sounds like it drops off around...ehhh...200hz or so? 

So yeah...despite what others say these definitely are either no where near as good bass wise as people think they are or my pair is defective. Which of those two is most likely the case?
That sounds exactly like my first defective pair.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #680 of 1,424
Well if that's the case it makes me wonder how many others here have a bad pair and are just confusing defective with "tight accurate bass"...

A couple people now have said what I'm hearing should be normal...that makes me worry for them!
I dunno friend, I'm just basing my opinion based on my experience. Joker has a review on them somewhere, where he compared his altone200 to the dn2k and sony h3. I didn't understand how he could draw his impressions while listening to my first pair. I now understand completely now that I have my replacement altone200.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #681 of 1,424
I dunno friend, I'm just basing my opinion based on my experience. Joker has a review on them somewhere, where he compared his altone200 to the dn2k and sony h3. I didn't understand how he could draw his impressions while listening to my first pair. I now understand completely now that I have my replacement altone200.

Oh right on bro...that's why I've been skeptical of other peoples opinions on the matter. I know what GOOD bass sounds like...what accurate bass entails. What I'm hearing here is weak and quiet...defective. It's like I told the person I bought these from...I only KNOW of the bass issue because I looked it up a minute after listening to them. The fact that I Googled "Altone200 weak bass" and found this and see that the Altone200 had an issue with weak bass...well...that's all I really needed to know. It's clear that something ain't right here!

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #682 of 1,424
To the people who have opened their altone200's, how likely do you think it is for this defect to affect the iem's? What I read, it seems like it might be something that can easily occur, and that people who purchased the predorder version should either open their altone200's to fix the issue or ship the iem's back for a replacement. If it's easy to check and fix the issue yourself without giving signs of having opened it (in case you have to warranty it), I'd just go ahead and do it.

Anyway, this just goes to show how humans can subconsciously compensate for the weirdest quirks, even non-moving bass drivers, so that humans can consciously think maybe it's just an issue of a headphone having "weak bass".

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #683 of 1,424
I just came back from a walk- listened to an album with exceptional bass, then tried another album and it sounded thinnish.  Is this an ism issue or a source issue?  To me the iems seem to work fine.  They just give  out the sound contained in the source.  So I'm keeping mine, as I can differentiate where the "problem" lies.  Should I want more bass on a thinnish track, I can hit the low bass switch on my C5.  

If someone demands bass at all times, whether the source contains it or not, then these iems are probably not for you.  If you get incredibly light bass no matter what source material you listen to, then they are probably broken and should be returned for an exchange.  So I suggest that you find a song that actually has loud bass (not just that your previous iems GAVE you loud bass on that source) and listen for the bass.  If all you hear are mids and highs-  broken.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #684 of 1,424
  To the people who have opened their altone200's, how likely do you think it is for this defect to affect the iem's? What I read, it seems like it might be something that can easily occur, and that people who purchased the predorder version should either open their altone200's to fix the issue or ship the iem's back for a replacement. If it's easy to check and fix the issue yourself without giving signs of having opened it (in case you have to warranty it), I'd just go ahead and do it.

Anyway, this just goes to show how humans can subconsciously compensate for the weirdest quirks, even non-moving bass drivers, so that humans can consciously think maybe it's just an issue of a headphone having "weak bass".

Yeah, does anyone know what causes this issue? I'm sending mine back anyways.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #686 of 1,424

Yeah, does anyone know what causes this issue? I'm sending mine back anyways.

Wire blocking a vent, I believe.

And I agree with Mochill that these are just very balanced iems.  They reproduce what is there.  They don't create what is not there.  Bass=bass.  No bass=no bass.  Which is a bummer if the source is thin, but is revelatory if the source is well-made.  

I listened to Boz Scaggs' Moments this morning and it was truly the best I've ever heard it- and I've been listening to it since my first vinyl copy in 1971.  It was good with my TF10s, really good with my Dunu1000s, but incredible with the Altones.  The bottom end was strong, the mids were strong, the highs were strong and controlled, it was delicate and full at the same time.  I had the same happy response to it that I had when listening to Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain SACD Hybrid a few days ago (which I've been listening to since the early 1960s).  The Altones, with good source material, are really really good iems.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #687 of 1,424
Oh, and here's the return info for any who need it.  I would suggest emailing them first.

Sales Manager : Mr. Sunggoo Kwon
   - Email : k1880497@swpshinwoo.com
   - Tel : 82-2-2672-3971
   - skype-id : sunggoo.kwon

OK, our address is as follows.

T-PEOS CO.LTD
B-Dong 201 NiSi Building
49 Gil 20 Yangcheon-Lo, Kangseo-Gu,Seoul,157-200.Korea
Tel: 82-2-2659-7009
Person in charge of CS : Ms. Booja Kim

Pls enclose the symptom.

Thank you
Sunggoo kwon

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #688 of 1,424

Well if that's the case it makes me wonder how many others here have a bad pair and are just confusing defective with "tight accurate bass"...

A couple people now have said what I'm hearing should be normal...that makes me worry for them!

Plus everyone's definition of good bass and defected bass might be different too....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back