T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Aug 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #586 of 1,424
I keep trying to tell people but they think I'm crazy. I was running Altone from DX50 headphone out earlier tonight and they sounded congested with a narrow stage. Put them with the sansa units they sound crystal clear and transparent. (much better than DX50) yes that's right, despite the ibasso super specs and high price.

I don't always recommend clip or zip, but when I do I listen to Altone.
wink.gif

Don't know why, but my "broken" Altone200 sound pretty amazing on the DX50, way better than paired with the Clip Zip. Much clearer, more precise, way better soundstage. The Clip Zip betters it only in terms of bass.
Will receive my new one tomorrow or on tuesday 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #587 of 1,424
It's interesting H20, regarding the sands clip. I also agree that it pairs very well with the H300/Altone, but I found it sounded much better with default firmware than with Rockbox on! I couldn't tell you why....

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #588 of 1,424
Don't know why, but my "broken" Altone200 sound pretty amazing on the DX50, way better than paired with the Clip Zip. Much clearer, more precise, way better soundstage. The Clip Zip betters it only in terms of bass.

Will receive my new one tomorrow or on tuesday :D

Placebo. :p

Don't get me wrong it still sounds good from DX50 I've reflected my previous post to express this but I much prefer them from the rockbox Sansa units. What firmware is your DX50 on? Mines running v1.2.8 but I remember having better results on the sound explosion firmware. Still though for me it's the sansa units. (with Altone200)

It's interesting H20, regarding the sands clip. I also agree that it pairs very well with the H300/Altone, but I found it sounded much better with default firmware than with Rockbox on! I couldn't tell you why....

I run my H-300 from a zip full-time, you're right they sound really good, and I could use several other players. Plus (well for me) using rockbox you open a world of EQ if you want to make a minor adjustment, say, the treble for example.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #589 of 1,424
I think i may have found the fix for low bass / low volume on altone 200s. My new pair today started exhibiting the low bass / low volume issue on the right channel, albeit intermittently. Upon closer inspection I noticed that pulling back on the strain relief I would get sound back to get loud again. So I bit the bullet and opened the driver (do not fancy sending these back again, too much hassle if I can fix it myself), which wasnt difficult to do as its held with a little bit of glue that gave way with a bit of warming up.
Once inside I quickly spotted the problem, - at the very top the cables go into a small rounded electronic part (probably either crossover or some sort of power dampener) which feeds the power to drivers bellow it via tiny cables. I noticed that when its fully pressed against the drivers some of the solder points on this bit make contact with drivers bellow, probably shorting out the electric signal. I verified this by playing sound and applying the pressure to it (imitating the back cover) and sound would get quiet as expected.
I cut a small bit of paper and placed it between the round bit of circuitry and drivers bellow it, so now they cannot make contact with each other (they are still connected via cables of course) and the sound is back to normal, yay!
sorry if instructions seem somewhat muddled, its been a very long day so I will try to explain it a bit better tomorrow.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #590 of 1,424
I think i may have found the fix for low bass / low volume on altone 200s. My new pair today started exhibiting the low bass / low volume issue on the right channel, albeit intermittently. Upon closer inspection I noticed that pulling back on the strain relief I would get sound back to get loud again. So I bit the bullet and opened the driver (do not fancy sending these back again, too much hassle if I can fix it myself), which wasnt difficult to do as its held with a little bit of glue that gave way with a bit of warming up.
Once inside I quickly spotted the problem, - at the very top the cables go into a small rounded electronic part (probably either crossover or some sort of power dampener) which feeds the power to drivers bellow it via tiny cables. I noticed that when its fully pressed against the drivers some of the solder points on this bit make contact with drivers bellow, probably shorting out the electric signal. I verified this by playing sound and applying the pressure to it (imitating the back cover) and sound would get quiet as expected.
I cut a small bit of paper and placed it between the round bit of circuitry and drivers bellow it, so now they cannot make contact with each other (they are still connected via cables of course) and the sound is back to normal, yay!
sorry if instructions seem somewhat muddled, its been a very long day so I will try to explain it a bit better tomorrow.

Looks like you went in McGyver style.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #591 of 1,424
I think you may void warranty for doing that, but I think given the circumstances T-PEOS may be willing to overlook opening the iem. Before anyone else does the mod I highly suggest someone contact T-PEOS to see if they will allow it and still honor warranty.

Then if they give the go ahead, someone should post picture instructions so others can do the same.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #593 of 1,424
  I think you may void warranty for doing that, but I think given the circumstances T-PEOS may be willing to overlook opening the iem. Before anyone else does the mod I highly suggest someone contact T-PEOS to see if they will allow it and still honor warranty.

Then if they give the go ahead, someone should post picture instructions so others can do the same.

yep, its definitely worth mentioning that my warranty is now probably void so I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it for themselves. The main reason I had a crack at doing it myself is because I'm off on a 2 week holiday tomorrow and really wanted to take altones with me and could not be bothered waiting for another swap-out. 
I will take some photos if I have the time to dive in there again, - there is no cosmetic or any other damage to the unit, the only sign of me having been in is the small bit of paper separating the solder contact points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back