T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Jul 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #211 of 1,424

Yes, they've worked on the treble and It betters the DN-1000 quite easily.

I believe you're referring to DN-1000 with their stock tips. Yes DN-1000 with stock silicone tips has a bit metallic treble. But with the JVC HA-FXD80 eartips, DN-1000 is hard to beat.

Thanks for the info, this Altone200 looks very tempting and interesing.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #212 of 1,424
  I've been asked by a couple of people to directly compare the Altone 200 with the Dunu-1000, so I spent about an hour and a half tonight comparing the two.

Please note:
  1. I level matched as closely as I could but even with an SPL meter it's really hard, mainly because they have slightly different mid-range presentations, and using test tones to balance them doesn't actually end up with a volume balance the way I would listen.
  2. I am not treble sensitive (at all).  I genuinely liked (have owned) headphones like the SR325i, K701, RS1, DT880 and T1.
  3. Although I've owned a lot of brighter cans - my preferred signature is one with a lot of balance - but natural sounding
  4. This is my very subjective opinion, and I rushed it - and it's blinkin' hard to A/B two IEMs when they are quite a bit different. 

Tracks I listened to can be found here : http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks
Comparisons all made with FLAC files on a Fiio X5 - no EQ.

So ........

DN-1000
  1. Vocals are slightly more forward - esp female vocals
  2. Need slightly more power to volume match the Altone 200
  3. Can be a slight stridency in some tracks (female vocals) where song is naturally 'forward' - more upper mid emphasis?
  4. Male vocals tend to be a little further back
  5. Vocals generally a little 'richer' than the Altone200

Altone-200
  1. Slightly more bass impact - or at least it appears that way
  2. Slight sibilance but only with one or two tracks, and did not make me cringe (YMMV)
  3. Slightly hotter treble
  4. No stridency - mids seem quite nicely balanced between upper and lower
  5. Holographic feel to some tracks - not sure if this is reverb / decay / ? - but doesn't sound wrong (I quite like it)
  6. Slightly brighter than the Dunus
  7. I think it has a little better lower bass - cello especially rendered beautifully

Both sound great - and I think it comes down to preference.  If you don't mind a slightly hotter treble (and to my ears it's more treble than upper mids), but prefer a slightly more balanced mid-range - then the Altone200 are just incredible for the current price.

If you like a richer vocal experience - but at the expense of a little stridency from time to time - then the Dunus are hard to beat.

Both are very clear, with great separation, really good bass impact - and fantastic tone.

My preference at the moment (and remember that I haven't had these long) is actually the Altones.  I listen to a lot of female vocals, and I'm finding these just render female vocals slightly better than the Dunus.  I was listening to some Pearl Jam earlier though - and thought the Dunus covered that music slightly better.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for you the effort!
May I know what eartips you used on both IEMs for this comparison?  
The reason I ask is, I did intensive comparison of DUNU both DN-1000 and DN-2000, and their sound signature varied greatly with different eartips.  So it is important for me to know what eartips used during the review. Thanks!

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #213 of 1,424
guys where can I get the fxd80 tips apart from amazon.jp I dont want to be using a forwarder.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #214 of 1,424
  guys where can I get the fxd80 tips apart from amazon.jp I dont want to be using a forwarder.

I'm afraid the next option is to buy the cheapest of the FXD series, which is FXD60.
But having tried FXD60, FXD70, and having a couple of FXD80, sound quality wise I can only recommend FXD80 if you would like to use the IEM.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #215 of 1,424
Thanks for you the effort!
May I know what eartips you used on both IEMs for this comparison?  
The reason I ask is, I did intensive comparison of DUNU both DN-1000 and DN-2000, and their sound signature varied greatly with different eartips.  So it is important for me to know what eartips used during the review. Thanks!
Both were using Comply T400s

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #216 of 1,424
Both were using Comply T400s

Noted thanks! Comply T-500 (I don't have T-400) is one of my favourite for DN-1000 with the silver ring spacer. Although the JVC EP-FX8 eartips sounds best.
JVC eartips gives more body to the midrange, very2 balanced throughout the spectrum.  Give it a try when possible 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #217 of 1,424
Just a word for all those receiving their Altone200 very soon.

From my experience, unlike lower priced IEM these hyrbids will go extremely loud before distortion. It's terribly easy to keep turning them up due to the agreeable clarity levels. Because of no early warning signs one can easily slip away from safe listening levels, so try not too much as possible.

Full volume on a Clip+, Colorfly C3, iPod Classic, won't even phase them. So please take it easy for your hearings sake.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #218 of 1,424

From my experience, unlike lower priced IEM these hyrbids will go extremely loud before distortion. It's terribly easy to keep turning them up due to the agreeable clarity levels. Because of no early warning signs one can easily slip away from safe listening levels, so try not too much as possible.

Full volume on a Clip+, Colorfly C3, iPod Classic, won't even phase them. So please take it easy for your hearings sake.

MUH EARS
I actually find I keep turning up all my earphones except the bright ones. I tend to leave them at medium volumes because it's too unpleasant

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #219 of 1,424

You'll laugh at this comment then Luke (in the DN-1000 thread) - and BTW he hasn't heard them .....

Yup, I would just get those tips, I wouldn't bother with the Altone, T-Peos don't tune their hybrids well IME.

nope, all T-Peos I have heard are heavily v-shaped with some audible distortion and the graph they provide makes it clear they don't want to stray from that, though I can't say the distortion is still there, I'm willing to bet it will be there...

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #220 of 1,424
  MUH EARS
I actually find I keep turning up all my earphones except the bright ones. I tend to leave them at medium volumes because it's too unpleasant

I give DN-1000 a bit of a serving in volume. Wonderful headstage on those Dunu hybrids.

You'll laugh at this comment then Luke (in the DN-1000 thread) - and BTW he hasn't heard them .....

Ugh. Well, if it happens to show up on worshiping graphs (which I doubt) it certainly isn't at audible levels. I actually use T-Peos FR graph as a 'rough' focus point for slight EQ tweaking. I don't however go around speculating about gear I haven't heard or a forming final judgment from a piece of paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back