T-amps with headphones?
Jul 19, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieLifeTaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how can i use a tamp with headphones?

You can not...The ground in both channles must be run separate, you can not mix the two grounds for both channles, as the single ended 1/4 plug does or you will blow the chip...

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can not...The ground in both channles must be run separate, you can not mix the two grounds for both channles, as the single ended 1/4 plug does or you will blow the chip...

Balanced headphones?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 32
Pull the phono plug off the headphone and drive it through a resistive
network. Try a 10-ohm across and 100 ohms in series with the headphone
make sure that the resistors are able to dissipate the heat by being high enough wattage.

Another option that may be possible and may be great is to get a russsound table top speaker auto-former that happens to have a headphone output. It appears to have separated grounds, email them and find-out.

The model is Russsound TBL-75, take one for the team.

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 32
People at Audio Asylum have tried to add a resistor network to the outputs in order to use it as a headphone amp with poor results.

Good results here with the AKG K1000 wired directly.

Jul 20, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 32
Yes, they sure can!
It can power the K1000 and any Stax using an energizer box.

Jul 20, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they sure can!
It can power the K1000 and any Stax using an energizer box.

Those choices certainly negate the prospect of a "budget" amp setup.
lambda.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those choices certainly negate the prospect of a "budget" amp setup.
lambda.gif

Depends what you call "budget".
Cause a Stax 'phone with energizer (ex. SR-5 and SRD-6) can be had for about $150.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Cause a Stax 'phone with energizer (ex. SR-5 and SRD-6) can be had for about $150.
rolleyes.gif

Oh, good point... *runs off to go electrostat hunting*

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 32
Well the reason i ask is that i want an amp for my cans, and i already bought this tamp awhile ago for some shelf speakers.

I was looking more for like some kinda cable that turns a 3.5m headphone jack into those thin red and black wires but i guess it doesn't exist

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

That's exactly what I paid as separate purchases for a SR-5 and SRD-7. I'm using the SI Super-T to drive them and I love the sound. At the DC area meet last weekend someone hooked up their K1000s to the Super T and I listened for about an hour. They sounded great. I like the cost of the SR-5 a lot more.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 32
it might work with the K1000s, but with more efficient headphones there's background noise. you would have to use resistors to get a 6-ohm load. discrete linear Class A amps are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back