T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Dec 9, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,531 of 3,205
I am using the same arctic cable you recommended only in the silver version...I bought it based on your recommendation only I prefer silver in general
I use and love Norne S-3 silver on my Sus and LCD-5 but need adapters for my Norne to work with the P and Trevor was not inclined to make those or a new cable for the P

I will go with the 'If you can't say something nice.......... saying here. I never warmed up (no pun intended) to the P with a silver cable from X company and I'll leave it at that.
The OEM sound fine but are WAY too long for me. The WyWires Platinum sound really good as do the Furutech ADL iHP-35H with 0 hours. The other cable at 0 and 150 hours of 'burn in' just never did.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #1,532 of 3,205
fair enough lol

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,533 of 3,205
Silver gets a bad rap because its low resistance tends to more readily exposes hash in the signal chain. Basically it easily reveals the attack and decay of minute variations laying just below the music signal and does not discriminate between signal and noise. The result tends to be perceived as glare or brightness and will push systems bordering on lean over the edge.

For example, I was listening to the DCA Stealth earlier today at a dealer and with the chain I was using a silver cable would have been a bad idea. It's a pretty fantastic headphone though, but that's a topic for another thread.

With a clean, low distortion chain and a system balanced toward warmth I would have thought silver should be fine with the Solitaire P, but ultimately the result is unpredictable and very subjective.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #1,534 of 3,205
CF-H800 or FT-H800? Can you share photos how it fits, please?
Here are the Furutech FT-H800 ends on the WyWires platinum.
IMG_4038.jpeg

I added another layer of heat shrink tubing to make it a bit stiffer. It worked OK beforehand but is a easier to seat in the deep sockets now.

IMG_4036.jpeg

Before the extra layer of heat shrink as I received it from WyWires

IMG_4031.jpg

Here are the CF-H800 on the Furetech ADL iHP35H with added heat shrink tubing11473817_thumb.jpg

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #1,537 of 3,205
I use and love Norne S-3 silver on my Sus and LCD-5 but need adapters for my Norne to work with the P and Trevor was not inclined to make those or a new cable for the P

I will go with the 'If you can't say something nice.......... saying here. I never warmed up (no pun intended) to the P with a silver cable from X company and I'll leave it at that.
The OEM sound fine but are WAY too long for me. The WyWires Platinum sound really good as do the Furutech ADL iHP-35H with 0 hours. The other cable at 0 and 150 hours of 'burn in' just never did.
How LCD5 sound compared to Solitaire P :)

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #1,538 of 3,205
Thin sounding from the start and very little bass to speak of compared to the other cables. It did improve to a degree with some time but not to the level of any of the other 3 cables.
It's difficult for me to imagine the Solitaire P sounding thin!

How LCD5 sound compared to Solitaire P :)
Would love to know as well. When my Solitaire P arrives I'm looking forward to comparing to my LCD-R, but understand that the - R sounds a bit different from the LCD-5.

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,539 of 3,205
It's difficult for me to imagine the Solitaire P sounding thin!

Would love to know as well. When my Solitaire P arrives I'm looking forward to comparing to my LCD-R, but understand that the - R sounds a bit different from the LCD-5.
Yeah, I was surprised how thin it sounded since I have had no other cable, even with 0 hours, sound like this.

I did a fairly short comparison listening to the P, LCD-5 and sus last night. I am a huge fan of the P and think it is a hidden gem that more need to audition. Again, this was a brief A/B/C but I preferred the LCD-5 with or w/o any EQ. I thought it had a bit more energy, detail and clarity as well as bass as good as the P. I also love the sus and reach for it about 60% of the time with 40% P. Now that I have the 5, who knows? Perhaps it is just a new sound signature where the P and sus are similar. I was convinced the only hp that might give the P and sus a run for the money might be the 1266TC but weight and fitment alone rules that one out for me.
The 5 is a very nice hp. I believe it is a keeper and I must say I am pleasantly surprised.

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,540 of 3,205
Yeah, I was surprised how thin it sounded since I have had no other cable, even with 0 hours, sound like this.

I did a fairly short comparison listening to the P, LCD-5 and sus last night. I am a huge fan of the P and think it is a hidden gem that more need to audition. Again, this was a brief A/B/C but I preferred the LCD-5 with or w/o any EQ. I thought it had a bit more energy, detail and clarity as well as bass as good as the P. I also love the sus and reach for it about 60% of the time with 40% P. Now that I have the 5, who knows? Perhaps it is just a new sound signature where the P and sus are similar. I was convinced the only hp that might give the P and sus a run for the money might be the 1266TC but weight and fitment alone rules that one out for me.
The 5 is a very nice hp. I believe it is a keeper and I must say I am pleasantly surprised.
Thanks!

The relative lack of energy/dynamics in the P is something I noticed when I first listened to it off the Bartok and compared to the Utopia. It's caused by that upper midrange dip and has the added effect of making bass sound a little muddled on some tracks featuring quick, textured bass notes.

I realize T+A were going for a laid back, cozy, but highly detailed signature (something for the pipe and slippers crowd), however I think they overdid things. It only takes one listen to any of the recently released headphones to see that. It's frustrating, because otherwise it's a marvelous headphone that easily competes with the best.

Anyway, I've emailed T+A to see if they are working on a pad to address this or would consider doing so. The Ultrawide pads only address the treble (actually they fake a treble increase by reducing the bass and further depressing the upper midrange) and that's not really where the P could use the most help.

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,541 of 3,205
I find the P to be vastly better than the lcd-5 with the proper dad/amp…the lcd-5 is much easier to drive which I realized recently…

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,542 of 3,205
I am not bailing on the P but I find the energy of the 5 compelling after a year of just listening to the sus and P. I have a the TT2 so I do think my DAC is decent and a Bigger Ben amp.

I was a huge fan of the Empy and VO for a couple of years but once I heard the mids and detail of sus and P I had to sell them both. Perhaps it's the 'new toy' effect of the 5 and I need to do some more A/B but both the sus and P sound dull to me now after the LCD-5.

I trust your ears and value your opinion @jlbrach since you have the sus, P and 5. You also have the TC for your high energy fix. I may need the 5 for a sound more in that direction and I am happy I snagged a pair.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #1,543 of 3,205
I find the P to be vastly better than the lcd-5 with the proper dad/amp…the lcd-5 is much easier to drive which I realized recently…
So to enjoy the P, you need to have kids lol

Just kidding. I have the little brother, the P-SE and they are great headphones. To me, these perform slightly better than the HEKSE and D8000, which I subsequently sold.
Then when I got the Sus and LCD5, the P-SE didn't see much head time as the fun and detailed signature of the P-SE is being handled by the LCD5 with improvements across the board.
The Sus will always be that magical headphone whose mids will always be the main actor with a great supporting cast but is more focused in the background.

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #1,544 of 3,205
Dac not dad lol..I do have kids for the record…the 5 is definitely the more forward in your face HP

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #1,545 of 3,205
Dac not dad lol..I do have kids for the record…the 5 is definitely the more forward in your face HP
Sounds like the LCD5 is similar to the Stealth in that regard. If musical info is like water through a hose the Stealth is like a fire hose compared to the regular hose of all but a few TOTL headphones.

In direct comparison of the P to the P-Se, although I preferred the upper-mid and treble balance of the SE, I could not give up the refinement and bass extension of the P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back