T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Dec 11, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #1,546 of 3,223
Dac not dad lol..I do have kids for the record…the 5 is definitely the more forward in your face HP

As much as I was taken, first with the Sus and then the P, I was always looking for that last bit of cymbal shimmer or detail I could hear on my 2 ch rig. Listening with the 5 these background gems are more prominent. If that is 'in your face' perhaps I want and need that. I was on the fence regarding adding the 5 even after Sajid and you said it was a good or even great hp. I am glad I now have my own LCD-5!

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #1,547 of 3,223
So to enjoy the P, you need to have kids lol

Just kidding. I have the little brother, the P-SE and they are great headphones. To me, these perform slightly better than the HEKSE and D8000, which I subsequently sold.
Then when I got the Sus and LCD5, the P-SE didn't see much head time as the fun and detailed signature of the P-SE is being handled by the LCD5 with improvements across the board.
The Sus will always be that magical headphone whose mids will always be the main actor with a great supporting cast but is more focused in the background.
In direct comparison using a HA200, I found the P to be marginally superior to the P-SE.

Dec 12, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,550 of 3,223
I have used the p straight out of my chord dave….excellent and out of my formula s/powerman even better…originally I thought the opposite but over time I have come to prefer the formula s combo…great HP IMHO

Dec 14, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #1,551 of 3,223
I have used the p straight out of my chord dave….excellent and out of my formula s/powerman even better…originally I thought the opposite but over time I have come to prefer the formula s combo…great HP IMHO
Do you run it balanced or single ended? If you have tried both, when level matched is there a difference? I have only ever listened to them in single ended mode and there are reports that when driven balanced the upper mids do open up a bit.

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #1,552 of 3,223
Single ended,the formula s combo is only single ended as is the dave

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #1,555 of 3,223
I was going to suggest that you have it reterminated and try it again.

Sometimes the problems we perceive with cables are due to a faulty connection. Just recently experienced this myself.

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,556 of 3,223
My Solitaire P showed up today ... nice gift to myself this Christmas!

Still much as I remember from my auditions some time ago although this time I was powering it via an iESL connected to the speaker out of my Magnum Dynalab MD209. The bass is by a wide margin still the best I have ever heard on any TOTL headphone. Think a properly tuned version of the low distortion TH900 bass and that gives a bit of an idea. When driven balanced the upper midrange dip is still audible, but seems a bit less so ... this could very well be wishful thinking on my part though. Regardless, the dip does appear to fit the easy listening/relaxed but superbly detailed "character" of the headphone and is clearly the signature T+A was trying to achieve (and why they are reluctant to do anything to change it).

One unexpected bonus was that I was able to easily drive the P to satisfying levels from the 4.4mm balanced out of my Questyle QPM. This is an excellent match with levels of detail bordering on unreal. It just underscores that nothing beats living with a component for a period of time.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,558 of 3,223
Bad news:

From february onward the price for the Solitaire-P increases from 4800€ to 5200€
Solitaire P-SE from 2800€ to 3100€
And for the Ha200 from 6600€ to 6900€

So those on the fence better decide fast.
The other Series 200 items don't increase in price, they already have the higher price since release

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #1,559 of 3,223
Wow. Looks like I got a much better deal on my used pair than I thought.

In Canada the current MSRP for a new unit is over $7k! After exchange this will raise the price of a new unit to about $8k. I guess if you can already afford to pay that much for a headphone the increase won't matter. I do wonder how they justify this increase though ... especially given the recent releases from other manufacturers and the relative performance of their own -SE.

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #1,560 of 3,223
Bad news:

From february onward the price for the Solitaire-P increases from 4800€ to 5200€
Solitaire P-SE from 2800€ to 3100€
And for the Ha200 from 6600€ to 6900€

So those on the fence better decide fast.
The other Series 200 items don't increase in price, they already have the higher price since release
this is a big mistake...IMHO the sol p is the best headphone nobody knows about and in large part due to the price....they are doing themselves no favors..personally I think the sol p is better than the new lcd-5 but the 2k price difference now possibly to be more makes it a tough sell..at say 5K instead of 6400 or if increased close to 7k it is tough to get people to listen to what is one of the very best HP's out there

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back